Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry

O.K. I'm talked out of panning supply duct. How about leaving a floor joist in the air flow of the supply from air handler through the floor? What does code say? What if there is no code to satisfy, is it effecient, safe? What if it is covered with sheet metal? One 2x8 joist.

contact your local code enforcement office, i.e. building inspector, hvac, etc. They will be able to tell you exactly what applies in your area. Many of us on this site are scattered all across the U.S. and what applies in our area may not apply in yours. What you have been "talked out of" is a code-violation! Are you installing this duct system yourself?

Hmm

I'm starting to invision by the questions of using cavity space for supply air and can a metal covered joist be in there that the outcome for the total system will be nothing short of a mechanical design disaster.

Ever see the face of a person that is demonstrated to that some or all of their entire install needs torn out,redesigned,reinstalled to work properly, stop break downs or to be safe in their home?
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Are you going to keep asking the question (slightly different) until you get the answer you want to hear?

why can't the opening get framed out?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Codes

This is in a rural area and there are no codes to satisfy and no inspectors, it is up to the HVAC contractor to do a good job. The contractors I've called walk in, without doing any calculations except ask for total square footage and make their size determination. They all seem to have one standard size of duct work that they put together and I haven't found any professionalism around here yet. Then they want to charge an exorbant price. This house already has most of the duct work and I'm relocating a new airhandler to the center of the house. No I'm not going to do it without a professional advising and helping on a part time basis. I've already determined by research that two bedrooms don't have enough supply air. The return will be at the air handler with no duct run. Are my questions too dumb to participate on this forum? I've already reworked the dryer vent which went into the wall cavity and came out under the house before going to 4" round to outside. There was dryer lint in the wall cavity it and trying to blow out around an electrical outlet 4' high on the wall. They are lucky the house didn't burn.

Originally posted by tinner73
    why can't the opening get framed out?
    The opening can be framed out. I just asked a question.

needed will probably be joist hangers, dbl headers-- hard to say without a drawing -- one has to carry the load somehow from the missing joist -- it would be safest to sister the side joists also --
    1 or 2 stories?
    how long is joist?
    what is the wood?
    what is its selection?
    where will the cut be with respect to one end?
    what additional load will it have to carry in addition to what was there?
    how is the old joist fastened at each end?
    are side joists in good shape?
    what is the consequence of failure?

Re: Codes

Originally posted by robertee
    Are my questions too dumb to participate on this forum?
    I wasn't going towards that aspect at all. Better your seeking out some answers now than ever to often after the fact and the damage is done.

"The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Maybe the professional you've talk with have years of experience and feel comfortable with their proposal. If so, have them put it in writing that the system with work as designed. The path your following is leading you towards a system full of problems for years to come, code or no code.

the dumb question is the one?

That is un asked, and the dumber one is the one who conemns you for asking it! they cant relate or lact the intellect to understand, how they can help resolve the prob, and usually are the prob! dont ever feel that way!

Don't have the book with me, but the IMC prohibits joist bays from being used as a supply of temps of 120 or greater.

If you have a joist that would be carring supply air meeting that temp or exceeding it, it would need to be fire proofed for 90 minutes. I believe that would be double 5/8" fire rated sheet rock.

[Edited by beenthere on 02-06-2005 at 08:22 AM]
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks benthere

Originally posted by beenthere
    Don't have the book with me, but the IMC prohibits joist bays from being used as a supply of temps of 120 or greater.

If you have a joist that would be carring supply air meeting that temp or exceeding it, it would need to be fire proofed for 90 minutes. I believe that would be double 5/8" fire rated sheet rock.

[Edited by beenthere on 02-06-2005 at 08:22 AM]

Thank you, benthere. This is the kind of answer I am seeking. I can learn something from a straight foward knowlegable answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast