....JCI??? .... signing on? Apparently.

JCI also had an LNS based tool, NEXSYS I think it's called but never provided LNS plug-ins for other LNS tools.

I heard some horror stories about Staefa/Siemens using Tridium. Complex, time consuming, Windows OS issues, single point of failure, etc.

Interesting that they (JCI) bought up Cal Air out west in SoCal. Maybe they gave up on the branch in LA.

Adios,
    LB
    A hundred million nodes - it's a LON story.

I think they are killing Nexsys.

They have signed to re-badge Distech anyway.

The point is however, another company getting away from LNS and moving elsewhere.

It may be that their just covering all the bases. Or, the companies who use Tridium are looking at it as another way to lock in a customer. Plus, Tridium seems to do a much better job at marketing their products to the building automation industry than Echelon does. I'd love to compete with Tridium on a typical office building controls job on cost and features. I think that an LNS system is much more robust, flexible, and offers a heck of a lot more choices than Tridium as well as LNS being more cost effective.

Unfortunately, it's the specifying engineer who selects the control system and they usually have a relationship with the controls vendor who calls on them regularly.

LB

Sounds like a marketing problem.

The Neuron can be (is) a bottleneck.

The ilon100 is pretty raw and it wasn't until e2 that it finally got somewhere with operation.

When you say "LNS offers a heck of a lot more choices than Tridium" you mean what specifically?

Thanks

My company just had a meeting with a Tridium rep. We're trying to get more into an open source/protocol than the JCI that we've used as our cornerstone. I want to know more about it and more about LON as they both seem to be the way that controls and contractor flexibility seems to be moving. I don't want to be left behind.

LNS offers more choices as follows,
    - LNS provides access to any point on the network from any point you connect an LNS tool on the network - either over the network media or IP. Tridium requires only an IP connection to access their tool.
    - LNS tools allow you to create a true flat network architecture where Tridium typically uses network controllers (jace boxes) which create a tiered architecture and single points of failure.
    - LNS includes the latest LonMark resource files which makes it easy to integrate any LonMark device. I'm not sure how Tridium handles this.
    - LNS allows manufacturers to create configuration plug-ins which can be launched by any LNS tool - LonMaker, Circon's NI, Distech's tool, Honeywell CARE, and others.
    - LNS supports IP connectivity for multiple lightweight, full, and thin clients using a variety of devices from different manufacturers.
    - LNS databases can be opened by any LNS tool regardless of the tool that created them.
    - LNS networks can be scaled to many thousands of devices without the need of onsite PC's or network controllers. Tridium is limited to 127 devices per jace box
    - LNS back office applications allow data integration to enterprise applications for millions of networks such as the ENEL job in Italy
    - LNS is supported by a public corporation. Tridium is a privately held company with unknown revenues and profitability.

LB

Tridium allows you to bring in whatever protocol you develop a driver for.... Modbus, BACnet, Lonworks, N1, Inet, etc....

Nice for some Legacy instances. Very flexible even if it is a proprietary framework.

Maybe the e2 will open up for legacy solutions.

If the Dirksen building wasn't so much of a disaster maybe the conversation wouldn't be here today about Tridium.(a little embellished - but you get the concept) Lonmaker can be reallllly slow at times. Also, most LON vendors say Echelon doesn't have the best customer relations.(FYI) Neuron Limitations for larger controllers.

City of Chicago is actually going Tridium.

It is complicated and it is rather expensive compared to LNS.

Tridium means:
    You have to pay for every little piece through licenses for each module that jace uses. And you thought you want to be free eh?

I give tridium the fact that JDE software is very powerful.
    And the fact their marketing people are doing a tremendous job. But that is it.

Talk about taking a step backwards, putting open systems in a proprietory shell, I think the bomb will drop in about 5 years when buiding owners will really find out what they were sold.

peace.