Thread: New addition

I am planning on building a 480 sq. ft. 2 story addition on the back of my home here in S.E. MI. Just wanted to know any pearls of wisdom from anyone who has done this. I wont be building it, but I will do the HVAC. Should I have one company do the whole thing or sub it out on my own? Any info. is greatly appreciated!
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

When I added on 2 bedrooms and a mudroom/back door

I just hired a guy to do foundation/framing with chip board on wall/roof and windows. [dryed in] Then I took off from there doing the parts I wanted to and subbing the rest.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

just make sure you do a Manual J if your using the existing furnace!!!!!!!!!! LMAO, couldn't resist.
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

sheet rock

If you sub it out have one person do all the work. You won't have any finger pointing if it's not right. Good Luck on your project!
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

It depends

On how much spare time you have. I would be the general if it were me. I would hire all the subs. Include timeframe and deadlines in all contracts. Keep all subs informed on the schedule in advance, well in advance. Make the payment schedule very clear and concise. Hire on reputation. All materials would have to be spec'ed out. No changes without a signed change order. When all the subs are selected, call a meeting with everybody. Include a photo copy of everybodys business card on one sheet and give copies to all subs. Maintain absolutely no gray areas. Decide on a set of prints and discard any and all others that are not in compliance with the chosen print. Maintain a safe and clean worksite. Check with your insurance company to be sure all your bases are covered and you are protected. All subs must be properly licensed and insured. There are times I general a job to secure the mechanical work and the above guidelines I follow.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Originally posted by vern p
    just make sure you do a Manual J if your using the existing furnace!!!!!!!!!! LMAO, couldn't resist.
    Ohhh...a wise guy nuk nuk nuk.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt