For those who don’t know, I’m on my 4th year as a one-man shop. Have a legit business office, but no shop. Residential and light commercial service and replacement only (no new const.), no need for shop, employees, trucks, etc. I feel I run a tight show. Have one fully-equipped, well-stocked van. No other employees, except an occasional helper here and there. Licensed, insured, LLC, commercial everything, real invoices, QuickBooks, HVAC-Calc, website, etc.

I realized I was burnt out about this time last year. You didn’t know, but y’all have been my pseudo-tech’s and business advisors for a long time now (thanks!)

I’m spending about 50-60 hours/week (more in the summer) on this gig now, wearing all the different hats. I’ve also got USAF Reserve obligations, an LLC rental property/RE business, and most importantly, my 2 kids, who are 2 and 3 ½ years old (high maintenance)…

I’d like to hire a tech, but I’m so friggin particular about things like workmanship and reputation, not to mention all the BS that goes with having employees/trucks… (I’m trying to reduce my stress, not add to it…) And fall/winter is so sporadic...

The weather this year! The dang leaves haven’t even fallen yet!!! 65-70 degrees for the past 3 months…

I know I’ll be busy again once it warns up, but my enthusiasm is waning. For this whole thing of being self employed. Kinda like, “Been there, done that, time for something new..”

Gonna be 40 next month !

I was talking to a friend of mine a couple of weeks back who’s a big-shot civil engineer at a big Army camp nearby. Long story short, he said let me see your resume. So I buffed it up and gave it to him. He said it’s the best he’s ever seen. That got me thinking: Maybe go back to work for the US Gov’t (where I left to open this biz)…

I’ve got a lot of good paper (certificates, courses, military experience and technical schools) that civil service uses not only to determine the quality of an applicant, but what they will start their pay at. IOW, I can start out at a higher pay rate with the paper I have…

Better return on my time, ya know? Make the same pay, for less hours on the job. And the thought of actually punching out and leaving work totally (almost) behind when you drive off the lot is inspiring… I could have more of my life back..

And the retirement benefits! I could apply my 18 military years towards civil service retirement, and be FAT in 20 years…

So there’s a US Govt A/C mechanic job 2 minutes from my house that starts @ $18/hour. I sent in my package, and I know I’ll get an interview. USAJobs.com has lots of civil service mechanical jobs.

Big decision…

My gut says do the civil service thing. Thanks - I appreciate your comments/opinions, as always.