Thread: Courtesy tips for Homeowners...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    I, as well as many others here get paid commission (by the jobs we sell)and our time is as valuable as yours.
    Here are some tips to help us help you.

1. Cancel your appointment if you cannot make it or hire another company before we get there.
    It is cold out and we are all very busy. We understand if you cannot wait for us to get to you. We all need heat.
    If you cannot keep an appointment or hire someone to do your job before we can get there, please cancel your appointment.
    There are other customers that would love to have your appointment spot.
    When we drive to your house for a scheduled appointment and another company is there installing your job, we just lost money out of our paycheck and another potential customer is still without heat.

2. Put up your dogs.
    Even if we say the dog doesn't bother us, IT DOES!
    It's hard to concentrate on talking to you when a dog's nose is stuck in your crotch or barking its head off.

3. Clear the area around your equipment.
    I don't feel like breaking my leg or having to do a gymnastic routine to climb over your Christmas decorations.

Again, these are just helpful tips.
    Maybe others can post some suggestions.
    maybe BC1 can sticky this to the top?

How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    let me add that i don't need the help of your children either. there are a lot of expensive and dangerous tools in my tool bag. i can't watch junior and work on your unit at the same time.

if your unit has been broken all week don't call me friday evening wanting me to come right over. we also have families that would like to see us.

move the cat litter box away from our work area, you may not be able to smell it, but we can, and no one wants to go to their next call smelling like cat crap.
    i wanted to put a picture here

Post Likes

Talking

Man don't get me started on the cat box thing. Several times thats been brought up in here and I can't help myself... I have to jump in and vent 18 1/2 yrs of customer cat box adventures and wooooe let us not leave out the ferret lovers or the ever so popular doggie land mines spread from the van door to the dozens surrounding the condenser. Good thing I have self control or I would have continued on as long as the 9mm thread.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Post Likes
    Hey Bolton, at least the dog chose you over the coffee table leg. Must be love!

It is quite difficult to carry on a serious and focused conversation with the demanding customer with rover roving your (ahem!) lower extremeties.

It's like the time I asked the customer if his dog bites. "I don't think so," was his answer. Needless to say I wouldn't enter the yard until Rover was put up.

I always kept a HUGE crescent wrench with me, even for the simplest work. One well placed smack between the eyes of Fido did wonders to eliminate his inquisitiveness. Only had to do that once, and I am truly an animal lover. But, I must say, I am also fond of jewels (if you catch my drift.)

Post Likes
    Here is one I just thought of inspired by a homeowner from this board:

If price is your main objective in your decision, tell me that over the phone when scheduling.
    I am the most expensive in town and my price is non negotiable.
    Lets save each others time.

Post Likes
    Here's a few more.

-If you don't normally have your system serviced, expect the worst. We are here to make sure that your equipment is operating safely and efficiently.
    Along those lines, older units tend to break down. It may seem that Jumpin' Joe replaced that blower motor only yesterday but it was probably longer ago than you think.

--If your unit uses 1 inch throwaway filters, try to keep them on hand. I don't know of many A/C guys that can carry a multitude of sizes and them not get demolished in the service truck.

---Have your system serviced regularly and stay safe.

Post Likes
    These are all totally reasonable suggestions. As a homeowner/customer, I would abide by all these guidelines, though I am sure many people do not and I would be frustrated in your shoes as well.

As your customer, it also seems reasonable to expect a few things from you...

-- Keep appointments that you make. When I have to take time off work to meet someone at my house for an appointment and they show up 2+ hours late, it impedes my ability to make a living. I respect your time and you should respect mine.

-- Please clean up when you are done. My house was clean when you got here and it should still be clean when you leave. (Trash, extra screws, bits of wire, etc.)

-- Come prepared. I had a situation earlier today where a guy was supposed to come out and fire caulk some holes he left on his last visit, but he didn't bring any fire caulk with him! Now we get to schedule another appointment.

-- Know the equipment that you sell and service. When you tell me something that is obviously incorrect and then I point out the correct information in the user manual, it makes you look bad and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I want you to be the expert, but I am not an idiot... I can and will read the manual. You should too.

By the way, I am not what you would call a DIY person. I rarely do anything like this for myself, but I like to understand my cars, my computers, the systems in my home, etc. This forum is a great resource that serves to educate without undermining your business. Thank you for making it so informative.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by littledave
    These are all totally reasonable suggestions. As a homeowner/customer, I would abide by all these guidelines, though I am sure many people do not and I would be frustrated in your shoes as well.

As your customer, it also seems reasonable to expect a few things from you...

-- Keep appointments that you make. When I have to take time off work to meet someone at my house for an appointment and they show up 2+ hours late, it impedes my ability to make a living. I respect your time and you should respect mine.

-- Please clean up when you are done. My house was clean when you got here and it should still be clean when you leave. (Trash, extra screws, bits of wire, etc.)

-- Come prepared. I had a situation earlier today where a guy was supposed to come out and fire caulk some holes he left on his last visit, but he didn't bring any fire caulk with him! Now we get to schedule another appointment.

-- Know the equipment that you sell and service. When you tell me something that is obviously incorrect and then I point out the correct information in the user manual, it makes you look bad and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I want you to be the expert, but I am not an idiot... I can and will read the manual. You should too.

By the way, I am not what you would call a DIY person. I rarely do anything like this for myself, but I like to understand my cars, my computers, the systems in my home, etc. This forum is a great resource that serves to educate without undermining your business. Thank you for making it so informative.
    When you chose the right company, you will very rarely have these problems.
    I've actually gotten a few jobs because I was the only estimator to call and tell the customer i would be late.
    I call even if I'm going to be 5 minutes late...

Post Likes
    Please explain the history of past problems, if any before I tear into it. Important things you remember noticing but tell me after the fact. Like today, furnace would not light. Replaced module and BOY did it light. Collected the bill for the module,gas valve, my work jacket and a new set of drawers.

"Sorry buddy, I noticed that large flame for the past week."

Post Likes
    keep the area around you outdoor unit clear no one likes to work with a holly bush sticking in there back.

Post Likes
    Hey guys, I think we "walked" into this one. I believe he is being very fair when he makes the "requests" as well to us as the contractor.

About that dog...................

Post Likes
    Oh by all means he's being fair and reasonable.
    I do feel sorry for the guys who don't have full time ofc help to keep customers contacted when the day is going wrong or when one job bleeds over into the next appt., but that should not be the customers problem.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Post Likes
    Toche'

It is fair both ways, and it goes both ways. Im glad littledave responded.

As a homeowner and paying customer you expect professional coutious and clean technicians. As a contractor you expect room to work with no distractions. The world would spin twice as fast if everyting went so smooth.

Post Likes
    And when we give you yhe bill, dont say WOW! thats alot of money!

Post Likes

Angry

i love the people who call on friday wanting a unit changed out or system replaced or need a part and i don't have. unless it's april-sept parts houses aound aren't open onsat and sun.. and the cunstmoer always need it done immediately! i've gotten to where i tell them i can't do it. it wears on you in fl during the summer is the worse!

Post Likes
    What a nice civilized thread, people actually getting along.

We did a boiler this week and had some of that rust glop spill on a wall as we pulled down old expansion tank. She was OK with it "I guess that's why they put the boiler in the basement". Incidentally, even with paper we still spent a good deal of the day cleaning up water, rust and soot to keep the place clean.

Yes, some other people don't get the concept of dirty things being for the basement, and vice versa.

Todays job the guy had a path and space cleaned out around the a/h so we could work, and it was a full of stuff basement,too!
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    1. dogs away! cannot agree more, nothing worse than a 100lb dog ramming his snout in your crotch.
    2. shovel the gd driveway and sidewalk like normal people, I don't wanna fall and be on W.C.
    3. don't get mad when I can't exactly tell you what this mystrious smell is, when your house is a pig's sty.
    4. no kids, or pets are to be in my work space.
    5. we are all capable of holding our own flashlight.
    6. don't wait until I'm done to look all over the house for your checkbook, purse, etc. time is money!!!
    7. don't start a fight with a tech on the phone when they call you back from recieving your page after hours, and saying "you" installed the equipment, because "I" didn't install it, maybe the company I work for did!
    8. don't be on the phone after calling the after hours service, I don't want to hear a busy signal when calling you back.
    9. If your service was outstanding, and the tech was professional ,knowledgeable, and polite, feel free to tip them, I think we deserve it more than the pizza man.
    Nuff said!
    "I'm not going to tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at my death"

Post Likes
    See vaporlock #8 request. Ain't it the truth?
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    As a HO I don't have any complaints about what is expected of me.
    Dogs especially (I wouldn't walk into that house either)
    And yes, calling several HVAC companies,
    and hiring the first one that gets there is just obnoxios.

And I'll agree to call you if I wish to cancel my appt.
    if You all agree to call us if you'll be more than a 1/2 hour late.
    That way, I can make an informed decision as to whether to reschedule or keep the appt.
    More than likely, I had to take time off of work to let you in and get your assesment of the situation.
    I understand that your line of work is not the easiest to schedule,
    as the wall of shame will confirm. But courtesy goes both ways.

Post Likes
    I thought of another one...

I understand your time is valuable, but don't schedule 3-4 of us to come to your house at the same time on your lunchbreak for 30 minutes...
    There is no way you could be doing anything but price shopping at that point.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in