Results 1 to 13 of 14

Thread: Smoked Hens

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Posts
    1,716

    Smoked Hens

    Anybody got some good recipes for smoking cornish game hens? I rubbed 'em with sea salt,ground pepper,paprika and thyme. Stuffed 'em with sage and fresh rosemary before I stuck the beer up there butt and put 'em on the smoker.

    What do you guys do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    i do not have a recipe but after you smoke them you could send me one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Altmar, New York, United States
    Posts
    4,616
    i cook these quite often. i use an energy dirnk can. i put honey, roasted garlic, apple juice and beer in it. i never use the same rub because i make something new every time. i will inject it with apple juice or comething sometimes, but i always inject the legs atleast once during cooking so they don't dry out. if i am cooking alot at one time i will lightly cover them with tin foil untill the last 20 minuts or so.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    YUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    i cook these quite often. i use an energy dirnk can. i put honey, roasted garlic, apple juice and beer in it. i never use the same rub because i make something new every time. i will inject it with apple juice or comething sometimes, but i always inject the legs atleast once during cooking so they don't dry out. if i am cooking alot at one time i will lightly cover them with tin foil untill the last 20 minuts or so.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    i cook these quite often. i use an energy dirnk can. i put honey, roasted garlic, apple juice and beer in it. i never use the same rub because i make something new every time. i will inject it with apple juice or comething sometimes, but i always inject the legs atleast once during cooking so they don't dry out. if i am cooking alot at one time i will lightly cover them with tin foil untill the last 20 minuts or so.
    Great idea about the foil and juice. Even with the water pan it did dry the legs out, but all in all it was pretty good. I am going to change up the ingredients next time and buy a syringe.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    and then send one to Basehor Kansas!




    Quote Originally Posted by DavyB View Post
    Great idea about the foil and juice. Even with the water pan it did dry the legs out, but all in all it was pretty good. I am going to change up the ingredients next time and buy a syringe.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    and then send one to Basehor Kansas!
    LOL, I would brother, but by the time you got it, it would taste like smoked garbage with a side a salmonella!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    thats why they make aluminum foil!



    you cook it and I will have Art / timebuilder fly out and bring it to me!

    a little heavy on the garlic please!











    Quote Originally Posted by DavyB View Post
    LOL, I would brother, but by the time you got it, it would taste like smoked garbage with a side a salmonella!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    LOL!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eaton Rapids, Mi
    Posts
    256
    i take game hens and rub the inside with mustard and a little honey, then stuff the inside with carrots and celery mixed up fine. on the outside i coat them with olive oil, seasoning salt, sage, garlic, and basil. stick'em in a pan (or even better, on a spit!) and roast'em till they are 165 at the thickest part of the breast. If you roast'em over a fire, do not let them get too hot early, or they will burn instead of browning and the inside may not be fully done.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
    i take game hens and rub the inside with mustard and a little honey, then stuff the inside with carrots and celery mixed up fine. on the outside i coat them with olive oil, seasoning salt, sage, garlic, and basil. stick'em in a pan (or even better, on a spit!) and roast'em till they are 165 at the thickest part of the breast. If you roast'em over a fire, do not let them get too hot early, or they will burn instead of browning and the inside may not be fully done.
    Thanks for the recipe. The "inside" ingredients I use on ribs. I'm gonna try your recipe this weekend. Low and slow.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eaton Rapids, Mi
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyB View Post
    Thanks for the recipe. The "inside" ingredients I use on ribs. I'm gonna try your recipe this weekend. Low and slow.
    if it is your first time using mustard, a little goes a long ways. I ended up preferring a small squirt of honey (mebby 1/4 tsp) to 1 tbs mustard per bird, personally.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event