Thread: soundproofing mechanical room?

Post Likes
    what would be advice for soundproofing material for my mechanical room where a new hrv hepa is being installed? the hrv is a lifebreath 300dcs, 220 cfm at 0.5 wg. the hepa is a lifebreath tfp3000hepa, 150 cfm.

this room will be just off my home theatre and i don't want to hear any mechanical noise. i'm sealing all holes, installing a good weatherproofed door and pretty much paying attention to good soundproofing practice. we didn't have the room for a staggered stud wall. the mechanical room has 3.5" wood stud walls with 0.5" sheetrock on each side. my thought is to line the wall cavity with owens corning selectsound acoustic blankets (black rockwool). but this stuff is pricey. a case of eight 4x8' x 1" sheets is $400 ! any thoughts on something more reasonable?

thanks,
    jim

Post Likes
    they use sound attenuation batts in some of the office buildings where i work. i sure hope you don't need any combustion air for you mechanical room.

they caulk the bottom of the drywall too.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    If you don't want to heat the noise, remmember, you get what you pay for.

That 400 bucks is less then 2 bucks a sq ft. for sound proofing. Thats not that bad, if you really don't want to hear the noise.

Post Likes
    sheets of corking i have seen in commercial rooms just seal it up on the vertical wall to hold it up.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    glue on a 0.75" tk Styrofoam, then glue on 0.625" tk drywall -- before which you could stuf joist space with any insulation --
    run hepa when not recording | listening --

put 2sf acustical tile in all 3 planes of each corner, held off wall ~1" both rm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in