Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I think if he went with the "thorough" guy, we wouldn't be dealing with a 7 page thread...
    He was obviously comparing equipment and not installation when making his choice.
    Chances are this install will be problemed its entire life.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Originally posted by BoltonNC
    I think if he went with the "thorough" guy, we wouldn't be dealing with a 7 page thread...He was obviously comparing equipment and not installation when making his choice. Chances are this install will be problemed its entire life.
    Granted, some of what you're saying is true, and I don't mind paying more for quality work. However, when another HVAC company is quoting prices that are nearing 35% more for the exact same system, even after you've identified that you're getting competitive prices, you begin to feel like you're being taken advantage of and lose one of the most important characteristics of a business relationship--TRUST.

I was also under the impression that in order to become a Trane authorized resellers/installer you must be factory-trained on proper installtion procedures. Is this not the case?

I'll answer the second part of your question 1st...

No, all Trane is worried about is moving boxes just like all manufacturers.

Do you feel like you lost the trust of your current installer because he undercharged you and used inadequate mechanics to do your install?
    My bet is the expensive guy knows what it takes to run a business properly.
    The companies that charge more usually have the best installers and provide the best service.
    The fact that you had to even come to this forum to ask these questions about your install(before and after) shows the incompetency of the company you're doing business with.

Originally posted by BoltonNC
    Do you feel like you lost the trust of your current installer because he undercharged you and used inadequate mechanics to do your install?
    My bet is the expensive guy knows what it takes to run a business properly.
    The companies that charge more usually have the best installers and provide the best service.
    The HVAC contractor I used has been in business for 32 years. According to my Trane tech rep, you can't stay in the HVAC business this long by doing consistently poor work. Perhaps my install is not typical for this contractor. I'm sure that even you have unknowingly hired bad installers before.

Did your contactor measure your ducts to ensure they were sized properly?
    Did he do a Manual D?
    A 16 SEER unit with improperly sized ducts MIGHT give you a 12 SEER!

KC,
    I agree you most likely got what you paid for!!!
    If you only got two estimates and the one you went with was 35% cheaper then you got what you deserved... I am sorry if I am being blunt!! If one company is that much cheaper there is an obvious reason they are.. I.E. Hacks, low ballers.. If you would have gotten additional quotes from quality contractors than you would have seen if the contractor you went with was one of the above..

I swear that I recommended that you get some quality contractors to bid on your house in other posts.. And I think I advised to stay away from the home improvement places and sears.. You should have went with contractors that had a good word of mouth of neighbors and family/friends..
    It could be that the home cheapo contractor was a quality contractor but I would feel more comfortable if you contacted that company directly than thru home depot(as they usually have a list of contractors and not all are equal)...

I do have one question??? Was this the same hvac contractor that was contracted by your home warranty company??

I hope you learned something..
    Good luck on your unit,, you may need it..
    J

Definatly get a 10yrs part and labor warranty thru Trane.. Make sure you get all the paperwork just incase..

Originally posted by Advanced Response
    I do have one question??? Was this the same hvac contractor that was contracted by your home warranty company??
    Yes, it's the same company.

Originally posted by kcrossley
    Yes, it's the same company.
    Explains everything...

35 years experience doesn't mean jack.

I know companies in my area with more than that who had to change their name 4-5 times from filing bankruptcy.

A low price is a warning sign!

I swear that I recommended that you get some quality contractors to bid on your house in other posts..
    Yes, I should have gotten a few more estimates, but I was under a little pressure since it was in the teens at the time and I was running on emergency heat. Plus, using the emergency heat effectively doubled my monthly electric bill from $200 to $400, and this was only for two weeks! When you're burning through money that fast you just want to solve the problem ASAP.

[Edited by kcrossley on 02-07-2005 at 02:24 PM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Paying less doesn't mean you should get an install like this one.
    Yes ,lower price can mean lower quality install and poor service after the sale,but not this low.Hopefully they will correct the problems!

Who'd you talk to?

From Trane. Were they at Lyon Conklin? His name Gus? I think the whole return air cleaner tape transition looks like crap. I tried reading the writing on the wire from the disconnect, can't, but looks a little like aluminum wire to me. Wonder where in Annapolis you are, maybe I'll take a ride past some day.
    I would have run from the installer. I bet that he would have been 35% lower than the 3rd estimate too.
    I admire your looking out for your interests. Get the warranty and opt for another contractor-Trane pays either way.

Re: Who'd you talk to?

Originally posted by Stamas
    From Trane. Were they at Lyon Conklin? His name Gus? I think the whole return air cleaner tape transition looks like crap. I tried reading the writing on the wire from the disconnect, can't, but looks a little like aluminum wire to me. Wonder where in Annapolis you are, maybe I'll take a ride past some day.
    I would have run from the installer. I bet that he would have been 35% lower than the 3rd estimate too.
    I admire your looking out for your interests. Get the warranty and opt for another contractor-Trane pays either way.
    I'm sorry, I don't think it's proper to disclose any names on this forum. However, I'd be happy to speak with you via email or telephone. You can reach me by clicking the [Send me a message] button at the bottom of this web page: http://homepage.mac.com/kcrossley/PhotoAlbum27.html and I'll respond to your email address. Thanks for your concern.

Ask to see the hoses of the guage set he bleed the nitro in while brazing. It would be a neat trick for him to burn the panel AND the base without burning his hoses, if he could get them on to begin with.

[Edited by Stamas on 02-07-2005 at 04:29 PM]

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast