Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Worst install I've seen in a while...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Originally posted by BoltonNC
    Worst install I've seen in a while...
    Can it be fixed?

Can a new matching return duct be installed without totally redoing everything that's already been done. In other words will they be able to place temporary supports under the AH, install the new return duct base, and lower the AH onto it, or will it have to be totally broken down?

If I request that they make a new bottom duct the same size as the air handler is this request considered reasonable?

Aside from the conduit on the outside, does the install violate in codes?

[Edited by kcrossley on 02-01-2005 at 10:42 PM]

I would have installed the Trane Perfect Fit air cleaner . This way the return box could've been made the same size as the return opening.
    Did these guys seem in a hurry to get done?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

I would discuss that with them, the return doesnt seem like a huge issue to me, but your the one that has to be happy with it, it would be difficult to replace it without removing the AH and filter.

The conduit that we are refering to looks like this...

UMC is Uniform Mechanical Code.

Most cities in my part of Texas have adopted it, some with thier own additional requirements. It is not reqired everywhere, as some places use different codes or don't have any, but should be followed as a minimum requirement in any case.

Both the line voltage wiring AND the low voltage control wiring should be in conduit where they are exposed outside.

The way they installed that air handler is poor. Basicly the only support it has is on a strip of metal on the front and the 1" flange in back. It is providing no support on the sides.
    Due to the weight and odd size of the Trane varriable speed air handler, they should have used a Trane Perfect Fit media air filter under it and had a return stand sized to properly support the unit.

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Just some thoughts on your situation.
    Although the looks are not that great the return will work fine the way it is. I would have used a filter that fit the airhandler or made a transition from the filter to the bottom of the air handler. The opening in the bottom of the unit is about the same size as the filter but it looks sloppy the way they did it. I did see that you agreed to installing it this way so I don't know how they will react to wanting it changed now.

Things that show up in the pictures as a sloppy install are easy to pick out but the things we can't see are the ones that will cause you the biggest problems. There are to many things in these pictures that would suggest they were in a hurry, don't know better, or just don't care.

Originally posted by BoltonNC
    Did these guys seem in a hurry to get done?
    Difficult to say. I've been working with this HVAC contractor for about two weeks. I've spent most of the time researching the web, getting advice from you guys, and getting prices on various pieces of equipment. The owner has been very accommodating and helpful so far. Hopefully he'll be as accomodating when I bring all of this to his attention.

By the way, worse case scenario. Suppose he refuses to accomodate me without additional charge. Am I within my rights to reject the job and have him remove all of the installed equipment, or am I legally responsible at this point?

[Edited by kcrossley on 02-02-2005 at 04:26 AM]

Originally posted by trane
    I did see that you agreed to installing it this way so I don't know how they will react to wanting it changed now.
    I agree, this is difficult. However I did question the install and based on their professional opinion I allowed them to proceed. Bad decision, but if they are a reputable company (which I believe they are) they should be willing to accomodate me.

How difficult is it to break the AH down and reinstall it properly?

[Edited by kcrossley on 02-01-2005 at 11:46 PM]

Originally posted by swampfox
    $10 says they hooked B on the Trane AH to B on the Vision Pro, direct short when set to heat.
    Where should it be connected?

Originally posted by kcrossley
    Originally posted by swampfox
    $10 says they hooked B on the Trane AH to B on the Vision Pro, direct short when set to heat.
    Where should it be connected?
    VisionPro:

R & RH - 24 volts
    Y - compressor
    G - fan
    O/B - reversing valve (O for RV energized in cooling, B for RV energized in heat, configured in installer's menu)
    C - common (recommended on VisionPro to eliminate stat depending solely on battery power)
    W2 - auxiliary heat
    E - emergency heat (if extra wire provided for emergency heat activation, otherwise VisionPro will activate heat strips when set for emergency heat through W2)
    S1 & S2 - indoor or outdoor sensor leads

"B" from the Trane air handler should be connected to "C" on the VisionPro subbase.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Any other advice and/or suggestions?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Where's the liquid line filter drier??

Are they factory installed (in cabinet)on Trane??

Wonder if they even used a vacuum pump,bet a micron gauge is on their "wish list"?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast