Heat pump noise in winter

My house uses a heat-pump for heating. In the heating mode the outside unit makes a lot more noise when compared to the cooling mode. Why is this? Does the compressor run faster? Or the cooling fan? Or both? Do I need to call a service pro, or is it normal?

Hmm Service

I think a service call might be wise. They should not make any more noise in the winter than in cooling mode.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by timlein View Post
    My house uses a heat-pump for heating. In the heating mode the outside unit makes a lot more noise when compared to the cooling mode. Why is this? Does the compressor run faster? Or the cooling fan? Or both? Do I need to call a service pro, or is it normal?
    "....more noise..." isn't particularly descriptive. Would that be a squeal, squeak, squawk, bang, boom, bop, scratch, clunk, gurgle, giggle, roar, rush, scream or some other noise???
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I'd say it's a low-frequency hum. May nothing changes for the heating mode, but the low temps outside effect performance/noise level of a bearing?

Do you hear this sound coming in the house from the outdoor unit? If so, pretty typical.

Yes, I hear the noise inside, but it's coming from the outside unit. In cooling mode, though, the noise is a lot less. Normal or not normal?

In the heat pump mode the hot high pressure refrigerant is being pumped diectly into the home via the larger insulated refrigerant pipe. That pipe needs to be isolated very well at each hanger strap and not clamped tight to the floor joists as you WILL get compressor hum sound transfer into the home. In the cooling mode the hot gas refrigerant coming directly out of the compressor goes through all the outdoor condenser coils which acts as a muffler prior to any refrigerant going into the home via the smaller copper tube which is usually not clamped tight to the floor joist hence the quieter cooling cycle operation. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ghunsicker View Post
    In the heat pump mode the hot high pressure refrigerant is being pumped diectly into the home via the larger insulated refrigerant pipe. That pipe needs to be isolated very well at each hanger strap and not clamped tight to the floor joists as you WILL get compressor hum sound transfer into the home. In the cooling mode the hot gas refrigerant coming directly out of the compressor goes through all the outdoor condenser coils which acts as a muffler prior to any refrigerant going into the home via the smaller copper tube which is usually not clamped tight to the floor joist hence the quieter cooling cycle operation. Hope that helps.

Yes, that has to be it. You can put your hand on the inside wall( it's a townhouse on a concrete slab) and feel the vibration as well as just hearing it. Causes bass standing waves in the room! Doesn't sound like an easy fix: I'd need to cut drywall to install some good elastomer/isolation mounts for the pipe. I may, as a start, try to install some better mounts on the compressor. May not help much, though. We shall see.