Hello group.
    Hopefully the HVAC guys are listening in.
    My folks bought a house last summer which has a RUUD AC and electric (non-heatpump) system. We noticed the house takes a LONG time to warm up (central Texas, Bastrop, not really cold) so we called AHS. They sent whoever they
    use, and the first guy said the sequencer was bad so he ordered one. That didn't change anything. Then he said the thermostat inside was bad so he changed that and told my folks it would really be better. The house still
    takes over two hours to increase five degrees (1500 sq foot house 42 degrees outside)So mom called the company and they sent the dad of the first guy. He opened
    it up and said "well, here is your problem, someone didn't wire it right. It needs two circuits and they only wired in one" Well she called me and told me this and I got on line and looked up the model number:

UBHC17J14SHH and according to the on line documentation it says it is a single circuit system. Does it sound like we are dealing with people who don't know what they are doing? Should we call a RUUD dealer and pay for a
    different service call? Could it possibly be missing something that is actually part of the heating unit?(jumper?)
    The heat coming from the vents is luke warm. I have never lived in a house with electric heater type furnace so don't know what is correct but would think the output would be greater than luke warm. I know the AC guys don't like AHC (American Home Shield) but we got it cause
    my folks are on a fixed income but at this point I am beginning to question the guys who have been out there..Just wanted to run this all by some more
    experienced folks and see if they think we should go thru an actual RUUD
    dealer to have it looked at.
    Thanks so much!
    John
    UPDATE. My mom just called and my stepdad pulled off the access panel to take a look(power off of course). Sure enough, one of the two breakers is not hooked up.(must have been this way since the house was built 3-4 years ago) Mom says on the access panel
    it shows the optional bridge but is not installed. My guess is, that if the bridge is installed than it only has one breaker(this one has two)? I wonder why they installed it this way when the system states it is a single circuit unit? Nevertheless they are only working at half mass. Was the guy too quick to say "they wired it wrong" but rather should have looked at the circuit, to see if it is adequate then possibly look into installing the optional bridge?
    Anyway any recommendations would be greatly appriciated. Not looking to fix myself but hoping for direction of who we should call next (being the last two were supposidly licensed techs)The last one told them they need an electrican to run another leg to the heater..
    Thanks!

If there are 2 breakers, you need 2 high voltage feeds. OR you can get the "bridge" from Rheem/Ruud and have 1 large feed. For the 14kw unit, that's probably a 90 amp circuit. 2 circuits would be a 50 amp and 40 amp. Before using the bridge, make sure your single feed is large enough. With the 17J14, you should get toasty air from it if all elements are on.

Once again the bald one is right. (I believe thats brains pushing out hair folicles not required). Also, Im ny humble opinion. Get rid of the dynamic duo and hire a contractor you trust, they got the call from AHS because they were the cheapest. Be safe and have it looked at by a true professional.

'Sure enough, one of the two breakers is not hooked up.(must have been this way since the house was built 3-4 years ago) Mom says on the access panel
    it shows the optional bridge but is not installed. My guess is, that if the bridge is installed than it only has one breaker(this one has two)?
    '

ME: My guess is that you have a 60 amp breaker, so, he wired it for as much as it would handle ; which means he purposely didnt bring power to the one furnace breaker , and thus, you are most likely running about 10 kw instead of the full 14 kw that the furnace is rated at.

did you have the same problem last winter???? Maybe only running on 5kw one may be burned out one not hooked up and only one running

Quote Originally Posted by ;684264
    Hello group.
    My folks bought a house last summer which has a RUUD AC and electric (non-heatpump) system. We noticed the house takes a LONG time to warm up (central Texas, Bastrop, not really cold) so we called AHS. They sent whoever they
    use, and the first guy said the sequencer was bad so he ordered one. That didn't change anything. Then he said the thermostat inside was bad so he changed that and told my folks it would really be better. The house still
    takes over two hours to increase five degrees (1500 sq foot house 42 degrees outside)So mom called the company and they sent the dad of the first guy. He opened
    it up and said "well, here is your problem, someone didn't wire it right. It needs two circuits and they only wired in one" Well she called me and told me this and I got on line and looked up the model number:

UBHC17J14SHH and according to the on line documentation it says it is a single circuit system. Does it sound like we are dealing with people who don't know what they are doing? Should we call a RUUD dealer and pay for a
    different service call? Could it possibly be missing something that is actually part of the heating unit?(jumper?)
    The heat coming from the vents is luke warm. I have never lived in a house with electric heater type furnace so don't know what is correct but would think the output would be greater than luke warm. I know the AC guys don't like AHC (American Home Shield) but we got it cause
    my folks are on a fixed income but at this point I am beginning to question the guys who have been out there..Just wanted to run this all by some more
    Thanks so much!
    John
    UPDATE. My mom just called and my stepdad pulled off the access panel to take a look(power off of course). Sure enough, one of the two breakers is not hooked up.(must have been this way since the house was built 3-4 years ago) Mom says on the access panel
    it shows the optional bridge but is not installed. My guess is, that if the bridge is installed than it only has one breaker(this one has two)? I wonder why they installed it this way when the system states it is a single circuit unit? Nevertheless they are only working at half mass. Was the guy too quick to say "they wired it wrong" but rather should have looked at the circuit, to see if it is adequate then possibly look into installing the optional bridge?
    Anyway any recommendations would be greatly appriciated. Not looking to fix myself but hoping for direction of who we should call next (being the last two were supposidly licensed techs)The last one told them they need an electrican to run another leg to the heater..
    Thanks!
    John if you pick this up please reply to me as I am having the same problem in San Marcos, TX.

Thanks, Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ;684264
    Hello group.

Thanks so much!
    John
    Thanks!
    John if you pick this up please reply to me as I am having the same problem in San Marcos, TX.

Thanks, Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BudHaskell View Post

Thanks, Buddy
    Hi Buddy,
    Well it turned out, the builder didn't run a heavy enough circuit to the furnace. Apparently the unused breakers are a totally separate circuit, so my folks had to have another 220 circuit ran to the furnace, and connected to the other side and it works perfect now. If the original circuit had been large enough, they may have been able to connect both sides but the electrician who wired their house didn't put adequate size in. But it works so much better wired correctly...Cost them a few hundred bucks for the wiring job.

Hope this helps,
    John

John,

My guess is that I am dealing with the same guys as your folks as I had AHS in 2006/7 and they were no help. What I know now is that I have two wires coming from the box off 60 Amp breakers. Tomarrow I will take the pannel off the furnace and see what is going on there. Did you find any contractors who were good with these units? The model number on our unit differs from your folks a bit; UBHC-24J15HG but the problem is the same , just warm air, cold house and high electric cost. This is why I wonder if the unit is even what the square footage calls for....

Quote Originally Posted by John Winn View Post
    Hi Buddy,
    Well it turned out, the builder didn't run a heavy enough circuit to the furnace. Apparently the unused breakers are a totally separate circuit, so my folks had to have another 220 circuit ran to the furnace, and connected to the other side and it works perfect now. If the original circuit had been large enough, they may have been able to connect both sides but the electrician who wired their house didn't put adequate size in. But it works so much better wired correctly...Cost them a few hundred bucks for the wiring job.

Hope this helps,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by BudHaskell View Post
    John,

My guess is that I am dealing with the same guys as your folks as I had AHS in 2006/7 and they were no help. What I know now is that I have two wires coming from the box off 60 Amp breakers. Tomarrow I will take the pannel off the furnace and see what is going on there. Did you find any contractors who were good with these units? The model number on our unit differs from your folks a bit; UBHC-24J15HG but the problem is the same , just warm air, cold house and high electric cost. This is why I wonder if the unit is even what the square footage calls for....
    Hi Buddy,
    Keep in mind, AHS can't help you if your unit is not wired right, or undersized. When they saw the missing wiring, they backed out of the picture. I guess I see their side too, albeit frustrating when you pay 500 plus for such protection.
    My folks unit worked much better, it cycles like it should and heats quickly. They still suffer cooling issues with the AC part of the system, which I think is mis installed duct work. I think most of these are builder grade units too.
    Another thing that I have read that goes wrong with these is the stepping relays. Apparently it has a relay system that turns on one bank of strips, then a couple of minutes later the other set. Maybe yours is not working and you are not getting the second bank of strips. Even if the unit were undersized I would think that if it were working properly, you would get decent temp air. We do live in central Texas, where are you?
    Mom did find a guy who his primary work is with these units so he was very familiar. That did help a lot. We live in a pretty small town so the selections are slim, unless we can get people who will drive out here from Austin.
    Hope yours is a simple solution.
    John