Thread: What are the

What are the best 1 inch filters?

My system has two return ducts, and each has a standard 1" filter behind the intake grille. The unit itself (XV-90) is in a crawlspace and has no filter rack.

Nobody in the house has a dust allergy and we vaccum regularly, so dust getting in the house really isn't an issue. I simply want to ensure that I don't have to purchase another furnace for a VERY long time.

I am getting the impression here that the Filtrete restrict too much (and they are fairly expensive to boot), so that rules those out.

For now, we have one return (upstairs) using PrecisionAire P.S.F. filters. (Fairly dense white spun nylon/polyester/fiberglass, I can't tell exactly what, with a similar texture to a ScotchBrite pad, only looser.) The other (main) return has the cheapo EZ Flow II loose blue fiberglass.

I can't find any guidance other than consumer reports, but it doesn't offer any help for people that just want their unit to run well, and don't care much about dust in the house.

SirWired

[Edited by sirwired on 02-01-2005 at 12:06 PM]

The Filtrete is fine but change OFTEN. Same with all of the pleated filters though. The Ultra 3M really plugs up fast so I'd probably avoid that. I didn't know how bad they were til I heard my XV80 about trying to take off outta the garage trying to move air through it

A while back one of the regulars (Dash?) suggested putting foam tape around the metal frame to get a good seal with the filter. It seemed like a good suggestion so I did it. I believe another pro thought that most of the dirt that gets on the equipment is sneaking around the filter due to a bad seal, so again, this seems like a good idea.