Thread: Carrier MVP

Has anybody else been seeing alot of problems with the Carrier MVP blower motors? Were doing alot of warranty work just for the motor quitting. I had 2 more on Sunday, 2 in one day. We are up to about 16 in the last 3 months.

All these furnaces were installed correctly and have all been approved by our city inspector. They have also been installed within 9-15 months ago.

Just curious if any one else out there has been having as many problems with the blower motors as we've had?

We are not seeing it in this area. I checked Warranty status and just not seeing it...

Typically the GE motor is very good. Big killers include high static and moisture.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

2 warranty claims in 2 years includes MVP and CVA. 100s of units sold. Might want to revisit those installations.

If the blowers are failing that bad you have static pressure problems. Probably low on return. My company often gets classes from carrier reps and he was telling us about this problem. He said in every case he has seen it was because static pressure was to high. He said 2 20" ducts (return) on a 5 ton system is "minimal". So you companies that use a single return in a hallway better watch out. He was telling us all kinds of horror stories about companies just slapping these variable speed furnaces into old ductwork that worked properly before, but are not sufficient now.

I'll check into it, we are a large retrofit company so we are using old duct work, but we always upgrade the size of the return air. The only thing i could think of is customers putting furniture in front of the cold air grills.

Carrier only puts on classes every 2 years in my area. Then they just cover problems and stuff that we've already experianced. The only reason i go is to see old friends who work somewhere else now, and the free pizza.

Put a infinity stat on your mvp's and it will pretty much tell you if you have a static pressure problem. After the install if it does, then you will have to explain to the customer why you need to add more ductwork.