Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One hr air

I worked for a comany when I first started out that did something similar. It was 20% on service work and 10% on installations. It sounds ok at first, but then during inventory time the boss expected us to inventory for free, no hourly wage for non-billable time. They were constantly mandating us to come in for this or that, but no pay since it wasn't billable. My wife ended up researching this on the web and found it to be il-legal completely in Illinois. We submitted a request for missed wages and were laughed at. My wife was mad, called the department of labor. Since the boss didn't even meet minimum wage when the pay versus hours were figured his but was in a sling. He then began jockeying his bussiness classification around to be classified as a sales bussiness, like a realtor, instead of a service company, like an hvac contractor. Then he realy screwed himself, he got out of having to pay back pay to any of us, but he got raked over the coals by state and federal government for not paying his taxes like a sales shop. It cost more than if he had just paid us for non-billable time he mandated us to work.

I work for a very large HVAC company and we are paid on a commission typed basis. My helper and I get 8% of the job sold and we split that 60/40. Our average job is about $6000.00 and we usually get it done in one day even if we have to work until 8pm. This way we can start a new job the following day and make lots more money for the week. We both make out very well at the end of each week. My point is that in most cases if you are fast and can pass inspections that there is alot more money to be made on performance type pay then there is on an hourly rate.

Re: Re: Noob, I smell what you're steppin' in! :D

Originally posted by control_noob

We were paid for sales leads, paid more if they actually bought, were coached and trained on exactly what to say in order to get a salesperson in the door. We were told we weren't doing our job if a certain percentage of our service calls didn't result in leads. The company had salespeople waiting for our call and would typically arrive within the hour if we called in a lead. We were allowed to make repairs to existing equipment at inflated prices so the salesperson could look like a hero and "credit" the cost of the repair.

Need I say more? [/B]
    Originally posted by one hour air (udown)
    I would have to disagree. I believe this is the best company any HVAC tech could ever work for! I think that our customers trust in us and feel that they have done business with the best HVAC company in town! Our customer service is outstanding, our promises and garauntees is a "no brainer", and our installs are untouchable! 90% of the other installs I see done around town dont change anything but the unit!! In my opinion that is dishonest!!
    Control_Noob, that sounds just like the service experts company I used to work for. I let myself get temporarily brain washed. Then one day (I perform service and installation) I went to an install, it was a member of my church. The tech that condemned the unit was completely wrong. He had a list of three failed parts. I double checked things, it was a failed t-stat which was about the only part that wasn't condemned. It was a heil nudgk that also had a failed secondary hx. The other tech didn't notice that either. Since the hx was failed I went ahead with the install and didn't say anything because the hx was pretty bad and at that time the hx were taking 3 to 4 weeks to come in. What should have happened was an accurate diagnosis and the true and correct options available based on the accurate diagnosis. That and other events around the same time lead to my leaving service experts.

one our air (udown), When I was with service experts and trying to justify everything in my own mind, I to was their poster child great defender. In another five years after you've seen all that can happen in that environment I would love to talk to you. There is another man on this board that goes by Twoolman that can tell you all about these types of companies as well. You'll see eventualy. In the meantime get every class and certification they will help you with, it's your best defense against unemployment.

[Edited by berad on 04-01-2005 at 09:01 PM]

it is very hard being honest in this business when you see what we see every day ... i tell people i have a license to steal and there is little you can do to prove me wrong ... i always recommend getting a second opinion without revealing the first one ... as for fast ... i am slow and precise ... my installers have made 40K to 60k a year with overtime ... and yes we pay more take more time and charge more ... a rush job that pays 8% to split is not good money when you look at it as your life's work ... there is always someone looking to capture a new market but it boils down to value for the money spent ... i earn it ... i share it ... i live well and happily ... going to work on monday is not a burden ... and i am not going to promise to be there at an exact time certain lest i cheat the previous customer out of the time needed for correct service just to move on a schedule ... franchises are set up to guide those that need guideance ... so it is

[Edited by airman1 on 04-02-2005 at 02:23 AM]

Originally posted by tlcartman
    the letters will be removed from my van tommorow to make way for the one hour logo. i will revive this thread in six months and let you know what i think. i am not easily impressed and can smell bs a mile away. right now we are the number one company in our area, but the boss was looking to expand and this is the route he chose. i can promise you if it's not on the up and up, this time next year they will be replacing the logos again.
    So how has this worked this summer?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123