Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One hr air

Whaaaaa.....??

OHAC is dishonest simply because they pay their techs a commission on the systems they sell? Anyone who comes to that conclusion are "simpletons" themselves.

Allow me to explain:

If a tech is dishonest on a commission-based system (or piecework, as it is also known) then he will more than likely be dishonest on a salary/wage-based system as well. A dishonest tech will figure out a way to pad his paycheck somehow whether it be on an hourly basis or a piecework basis. If you don't agree then you're naive. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not the system that makes a tech dishonest but the tech him/herself.

Yes, I would like to be paid a certain commission for the systems I sell, I think it's only fair. As it stands right now I get a mere $50 for a C/U or AHU & &100 for a full system. If I was remunerated absolutely zero for equipment sales then I would probably be more tempted to just repair the POS than replace it (which would probably be more beneficial for the customer to replace, say) because I would get more hours at the end of the week than I would selling him a new one.

This is all controversial thinking, I know. But only because it's relatively new thinking. I know I've seen more than one thread begun with the subject being how low we're paid as compared to other service industries, & when a co. finally figures out a way to pay their people at top-notch rates you all start new threads claiming how that co. "must" be ripping off the customer, etc., etc. And to top it all off you start posting such fecal matter about companies you know absolutely nothing about! I'm not sure what the legal term for that is but I'm pretty sure it's along the lines of libel or defamation or slander.... Something like that.

So whats the big fuss? Its wrong to be a commision paid tech! Or its OK to be commission paid tech!

Personally I dont see nothing wrong with being a commision paid tech. and by the way I agree with who ever it was that said to do your homework before you lash out at something you dont know!

I work for the model center for OHAC (ONE HOUR AIR CONDITIONING) in Las Vegas, NV. and without being specific I dont think that not all OHAC's across the country have the same pay procedures. What you heard or think you heard was one example many across the nation.

I am not a spokes person or am I speeking on behalf of OHAC but there is one rule that we in Vegas go by. The rule states that it has to be win-win-win situation for everyone involved. The customer, the company, and the employee all must benefit.

What is so wrong with that?

Small world!

Originally posted by one hour air (udown)

I work for the model center for OHAC (ONE HOUR AIR CONDITIONING) in Las Vegas, NV.
    I used to work there before it was known as OHAC. I hear Bernie is running things now & Darren is moving to Sarasota. This true? If so, say hi to Bernie for me... he knows who I am.

Look at it from the customer perspective... I worked for a leading resi company in the Midwest both before and after they got bought out by one of the "new wave" consolidators. Before the switch it was "do what's right, don't sell them if they don't need it, keep the customer happy" This was from a family company started in 1932, number one in the market. After the switch it was: "condemn, condemn, condemn". We were paid specifically for condemning furnaces with the reasoning that "if the furnace is more than 5 years old the customer will save, and be safer, and have fewer breakdowns with a new furnace we install"... And you know what? This line of bull about changing out a furnace just because it needed a tuneup or an ignitor sucked and was dishonest... Don't say it doesn't happen because there are techs on here all the time asking "Why can't I make money like that other tech" and "How come they can say that perfectly serviceable furnace was condemned" and my favorite: "Don't use scare tactics to sell equipment". It ate me up inside that I had to "play the game" in order to cut it at that company and I'm damn glad I don't have to do it anymore to feed my family.

just wanted to say i work for a very good company that pays its installers comission i think its great. I split a 11 percent commision with my helper. We average close to 50 an hr thats dollars and its an average and i dont even work 40 hours a week to boot. yet all the work is done very well and exceeds codes.I would never go back to hourly. with the right company it works great.

Originally posted by morris-jenkins
    just wanted to say i work for a very good company that pays its installers comission i think its great. I split a 11 percent commision with my helper. We average close to 50 an hr thats dollars and its an average and i dont even work 40 hours a week to boot. yet all the work is done very well and exceeds codes.I would never go back to hourly. with the right company it works great.
    That's called piece work or "contract" and we weren't talking about that... we were talking about a company paying service techs for sales...

Noob, I smell what you're steppin' in! :D

But all I'm saying is, is that I don't think it's wrong to pay commission to a tech that sells a system. In fact, it's only right. And, yes, I agree that it's absolutely wrong to condemn a furnace that's only 5 yrs. old & I simply won't do it no matter how much commission I'm paid, period! But that's just me & I have a high sense of ethics.

However, I also believe that maybe - juuust maybe - some techs take what their bosses are telling them a little too far. There have been a couple of companies that did - gasp! - encourage their techs to sell equipment but not at the expense of the company's integrity. "Do what's right," I was always told, "But we also want you to sell more systems!" Noob, do ya think some techs would take that as "condemn, condemn, condemn!"? I think they would, & I've seen it happen. And it's sad when it does happen because honest owners are then made to look bad.

Personally, I think sellin' ought to be left up to salespeople not techs. I think mail-outs & advertisements should be utilized to create leads & professional salespeople should be the ones to go out & close those leads. Because if people call as a result of seeing those ads & mail-outs they obviously want to be sold something. Right? But I think it's disingenuous to dispatch a tech to a person's house with the order to "condemn, condemn, condemn!" hoping to get a sale on a system.

Post 1 Hour Rip Off

I got a great big FAT yellow brochre today inviting me to attend a One-Hour Town Hall Meeting in Las Vegas!

"If you aren't Driving This Truck...
    Your Competitor May Be Very Soon!"

Always On Time... Or You Don't Pay A Dime!

Smoke and Mirrors is all it can be, you can't provide an honest service and stay in buisness with policies like this.

Nice slogan to get you hooked but how can a small shop of 3-4 service trucks possible maintain a schedule like that... I know they say there is a way but it is all smoke and mirros and dishonesty to the customer.
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

There is a company that has been doing buisness in my area for a very long time that is very VERY well known to people in the buisness in the area to be a rip off company. Many techs I know have worked for them at one time or another and have related some of the things that went on there.
    In the last 12 years I have run enough 2nd opinion calls behind them to confedently conclude that ripping off customers is how they operate, not just the odd dishonest tech.

That company pays techs commision on parts and equipment sold/installed, and has a lot of high pressure stuff going on internally to get thier "techs" to sell. They do tons of telemarketing and other mass advertising, and claim to give service within 2 hours of when someone calls them.

The One Hour Air, Airtime500 and others marketing pitches and the looks of how they operate make them sound very much like the company I talked about. Forgive me if I am very sceptical of the newcomers intentions...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Re: Noob, I smell what you're steppin' in! :D

Originally posted by special ed

Personally, I think sellin' ought to be left up to salespeople not techs. I think mail-outs & advertisements should be utilized to create leads & professional salespeople should be the ones to go out & close those leads. Because if people call as a result of seeing those ads & mail-outs they obviously want to be sold something. Right? But I think it's disingenuous to dispatch a tech to a person's house with the order to "condemn, condemn, condemn!" hoping to get a sale on a system.
    We were paid for sales leads, paid more if they actually bought, were coached and trained on exactly what to say in order to get a salesperson in the door. We were told we weren't doing our job if a certain percentage of our service calls didn't result in leads. The company had salespeople waiting for our call and would typically arrive within the hour if we called in a lead. We were allowed to make repairs to existing equipment at inflated prices so the salesperson could look like a hero and "credit" the cost of the repair.

Need I say more?

I would have to disagree. I believe this is the best company any HVAC tech could ever work for! I think that our customers trust in us and feel that they have done business with the best HVAC company in town! Our customer service is outstanding, our promises and garauntees is a "no brainer", and our installs are untouchable! 90% of the other installs I see done around town dont change anything but the unit!! In my opinion that is dishonest!!

the letters will be removed from my van tommorow to make way for the one hour logo. i will revive this thread in six months and let you know what i think. i am not easily impressed and can smell bs a mile away. right now we are the number one company in our area, but the boss was looking to expand and this is the route he chose. i can promise you if it's not on the up and up, this time next year they will be replacing the logos again.
    i wanted to put a picture here

no matter how the company is owned or operated a good tech should make at least 60k a year with benefits and more if he is willing to work some overtime ... most companies pay as you go to beat all the labor laws and taxes at the same time trying to steal your good customers with unrealistic promises ... there is waaaaaaaaaay too much of unstructured service companies with just magnetic signs out there ... nothimg but money driven whores

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast