Thread: Help carrier gaspac from hell

Post Likes

Angry

ok pay close attention ! here we go i have been working on a gaspac for 2 days and itsw still messed up. This was a no heat call when i arrived the furnace was running fine i looked over the unit and couldnt see anything wrong, then it happend the fan shut off but the burners were still going ok bad fan limit or relay, i thought tested relay and it was sending power to the fan but no call for fan so i thought ok bad t-stat then fan came on and i said yep thats it went down and replaced the t-stat, and fan problem went away. ok check the unit one last time and get out of here..... ok looks good then i hear the burners shut off but inducer moter still going with ifm.
    What i said to myself huh i checked all limit switches and safties all closed ok, now burners come back on and unit run good for 10 min then bam whole unit shuts down and in about 30-45 sec bam unit back on i check x-fmr, and all is good then 10 min later unit off again i had my meter on the x-fmr this time and we had 24v and a call for heat and all safties still closed hmmmm i say what the heckis going on. So called in for reenforcements and got 2 more techs out they both said it was the heat circuit board and fan circuit board, i say ok sounds good after 5 hrs i was beat and said ok. today i came back with boards and installed them and tested unit in heat 3x all ok checked in cooling no problems.... whew that was it
    an hr latter customer calls back no heat .... ohhhh nooooo i finnish my call and head back.... ok same problem but i had been thinking it may have been the igition control board so i picked one up on my way back there and installed it tested unit and after some brain farts i and another tech got it running....Whew thats it as a 3rd tech showed up i was on my way out and bam lost 24 volts yet again here we go again i had to go but the other 2 techs spent another hr on it and still couldnt figure it out they replaced the high limit switch thinking it was weak that didnt do it they thought it may have been a high limit problem..... nope nothing has changed in the house prior to the problem occureing ( ie: nothing has been closed or opened vent wise and filter is ok split is 120 supply and 80 return. but my concern is the loss of 24v. for those who care this is a carrier
    48NLT036-301BE ser# 1790C67579
    we have replaced the following parts: heat C/B, the fan speed control C/B , the Ignition control board, and the pilot tube,high limit switch, ohhh and the 40va x-fmr.so now i want to thank anyone that may be able to help me figure this out in advance i have been in the field for a total of 10 yrs so im not new at this but this is just wierd ........ hellllllllp!

Post Likes

Talking

keep going sooner or later you'll have replaced every component that makes up a furnace

Post Likes
    Silly question- supply power and ground? Not exactly sure about model-does this idm have the cent. switch, and the pressure element rollout? How old is the unit? 1990?

Post Likes
    Check your collector box for holes on bottom. Also check where the draft motor goes into the exhaust pipe up the right side of the burner compartment. Sounds like you are recycling exhaust gas.
    Does the exhaust smell?

Post Likes
    Does the inducer fan have a safety spill sw on the exhaust side?

Post Likes
    Have you checked the inducer motor fan, these are bad about rusting out the fan wheel and causing the inducer motor to kick out the burner via the rpm swicth on the inducer motor.
    Dan

Post Likes

Thumbs down This is just a joke right....

This is just a troll thread, tell me this is so...

If this is reality, I hope this isn't a furnace I come across...

With these many man hours in this call wouldn't it have been better to bail or replace the furnace. Who is paying for all this on site training, company or customer... And the parts, who's paying for all these uneeded parts?

Don't you just hate it when you come across a clusterer FXXK like this. The next worse is when a home owner has the furnace all disassembled with an explanation of what works and what doesn't!

[Edited by AllTemp on 02-02-2005 at 01:26 AM]
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Post Likes

Carrier 48nlt?nht

Beware; you are working on the gas pack from hell. Carrier put out more service bulletins on those than a dog's got fleas. The 48nht (High Heat Model) was named the "No Heat Tonight Model". The Bryant ANW model was named "another night without". These units were disasters from the beginning. Find you an old Carrier Rep if you can & he might give you the book of service bulletins. Gas packs are not one of Carrier's bright spots. Carrier finally gave up & turned their back on consumers who own these units. It made for some unhappy customers & dealers.

Post Likes

Re: This is just a joke right....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AllTemp
    [B]This is just a troll thread, tell me this is so...

If this is reality, I hope this isn't a furnace I come across...

With these many man hours in this call wouldn't it have been better to bail or replace the furnace. Who is paying for all this on site training, company or customer... And the parts, who's paying for all these uneeded parts?

Don't you just hate it when you come across a clusterer FXXK like this. The next worse is when a home owner has the furnace all disassembled with an explanation of what works and what doesn't!

[Edited by AllTemp on 02-02-2005 at 01:44 AM]

Post Likes

48nt.pdf (PDF INSTALL GUIDE)

http://www.alltemp-hvac.com/48nt.pdf

[Edited by AllTemp on 02-02-2005 at 01:55 AM]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in