Hybrid View

Quadrafire Mt Vernon Troubleshooting Help Needed

I have a 3 yr old Quadrafire Mt Vernon that has worked flawlessly until recently. For the last week or so, I had been getting an intermittent "auger jammed" error message. Each time I could reset the error by unplugging the stove and that would keep it going for awhile - sometimes a day or so, but sometimes just a few hours. There was no set pattern as to how long it would work.

Now it will not fire up at all. I get the "auger jammed" error every time I reset it.

I pulled the auger assembly and there is absolutely no jam. Nothing but air in there! Furthermore, the auger continues to turn while the stove shuts down.

What else could give the error if the auger isn't really jammed?

Thanks.

one thing is to be sure the heat exchangers are totally clean , check your venting to be sure there is no obstructions like birds nest , there is a sensor for your hopper lid be sure to wipe that clean from debris , i have found over the years that just because it says auger jammed does'nt mean it's the auger , it could be something else and you have to run down the line to diag. problem , be sure the vacume hose going to the auger is not slit or cracked , and where the hose goes into the auger take a paper clip end and poke through making sure there is no buildup. BE SURE TO UNPLUG UNIT BEFORE ATTEMTING TO SERVICE (SHOCK HAZARD) let me know how it goes.

burning wood,

thanks for the suggestions. looked at everything; however, nothing worked.

there is an optical switch on a wheel that is located between the auger shaft and the auger motor. i'm wondering if this switch is defective. what is the purpose of the wheel and switch? how could you test it?

thanks,
    iez44

onthe mount vernon (ae) pellet stove the optical sensor communicates to the wall control that the auger is spinning or if it has stopped. and check the set screw on the auger to be sure that it is tight.or check the overheat snap disc on the back of the auger tube i should be brown with two wires and has a reset in the center of it . if this trips it will shut the unit down and still display an error on wall control.the two wires on the sensor carry 110v so be careful or unplug unit,let me knoe the outcome.
    Last edited by burning wood; 12-04-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: adding to post

There are a few things that can fix the auger jam problem.

1) Clean the sensor / wheel on the auger. That's how the main board knows its moving.
    2) Upgrade main board if you do not have the newest version (may be warranty)
    3) Replace the "10-pin" wire harness which has a bunch of stuff connected to it, one of which being the auger sensor. There were issues with the wires being pulled too tight from the factory and it causes things to malfunction, usually the its the auger sensor that sees the problem.

bw & jtp-

thanks for the fix tips. i will try them this morning after i get back from church service. is there anything special i should use to clean the wheel & sensor? dry cloth? water? household cleaner (409)? the manual only goes so far and specifically doesn't cover this.

the results are in - the stove is working!!!

here are the details....

1) i removed the auger assy from the stove and then removed the optical sensor from the assy. i cleaned the sensor and wheel with q-tips soaked in a tuner cleaner i had lying around from my tv tuner cleaning days. they were both very dirty with a black greasy looking film of some sort.

i reassembled and started up the stove. it put a few pellets in the firepot and started the igniter, but it never started the pellets.

the stove just sat there in startup mode. i could see the igniter glowing but no ignition. i never got the "auger jammed" error so i knew cleaning the dirty sensor and wheel fixed that problem. on to the second fix....

2) i removed the overheat snap disc and although it didn't appear dirty, i cleaned it and the auger tube area it sits against. reassembled and restarted. btw, i used the same tuner cleaner.

...and success! the stove fired right up and has been burning now for about 2 hrs.

time will tell if i get the "auger jammed" error message again, but i'm optimistic i won't see that again. if i do, i'll be back.

thanks very much to both of you. i couldn't have fixed it without your help!!

that's great !

i'm not sure what i did to correct the snap disc issue, but since the stove is running normally, i'll leave that for another day to figure out. as they say, "if it ain't broke..."

thanks again for the help. the dealer was of little value to me. he let me down when i needed him the most. very disappointing.

I doubt there was anything wrong with the snap disc, and actually I do not think the AE even has a snap disc. It has a ring style thermocouple mounted on the back of the auger shaft. If this reads a temp too high you would get some sort of a high limit temp error on the wall control. It was probably a coincidence it started working after you cleaned it.

Freight training when Mount Vernon AE starts.

I have a 2013 Mount Vernon AE. Very disappointed in the stove. Cannot stop it from freight training when it starts. I an working with the factory and they have had me put in a damper and change to a heat output of 4, flame height of -2, and it still freight trains. Damper is now wide open as they say that noise is due to too much fuel for air. I an 7900 feet but dealer has other stoves at this elevation and none of them make the noise? It was 25 below so need to get heat. Original setting was utility pellets now factory says hardwood. Originally a 1 heat output output, and a -5 flame height. No heat and still freight trained. Any ideas?