Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I was speaking to an HVAC guy the other day about my new heat pump system and he asks me what brand. I told him Carrier Infinity and he says "Oh, they've had some mold problems with that system” He goes on to say that the variable speed handler blower is located too close to the coil. In high speed it has been known to pull moisture from the coil and distribute it downstream into the ductwork creating potential mold problems. He added that Carrier had been dealing with this for some time and has "redesigned" this handler several times in an attempt to fix this issue.

I’m curious if there is any validity to this or if this guy is just blowing smoke.

Thanks,
    Cashcow

i've only heard of problems with the purons sweating when the duct work is undersized or the system is oversized also i;ve had issues where the plenum was to small not enough height and once we installed a new plenum with plenty of heighth we haven't had any problems but no nothing serious as mold problems. is he a contractor who sells another brand or uninformed consmuer ?

Red face

i read the post again and think you're hvac buddy is blowing smoke..........

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    No redesign that I know of.

However ,if the duct system is too small,the static pressure will be too high and pull water off the air handlers coil.So it's possible to have this happen,due to the duct sysytem.Most often,if not always, this is with the air handler in the horizontial position.

Also be careful and read instructions ,when converting from horizontial right/left,be sure everything is in the correct place,pay close attention to the top of the A-coil.

"The Maximum return static(ESP) should be .3 not .4 as stated in the design literature." This in horiz. ,and comes from a Carrier Class,recently in Florida.This could be for humid climates only,since it's based on field testing in SW Florida,but good,safe advice just the same.

Central: He is a contractor, but not a Carrier dealer. He is not trying to sell me a system (I just installed a new one) so I felt his comments were genuine. They were possibly uniformed, but I felt they were genuine.

Dash: Sounds like me. West Florida climate, handler is installed horizontally and my static exceeds .3 (even exceeds .4 at times) when the unit is running in high speed. That static reading is from the Infinity control.

Originally posted by cashcow
    Central: He is a contractor, but not a Carrier dealer. He is not trying to sell me a system (I just installed a new one) so I felt his comments were genuine. They were possibly uniformed, but I felt they were genuine.

Dash: Sounds like me. West Florida climate, handler is installed horizontally and my static exceeds .3 (even exceeds .4 at times) when the unit is running in high speed. That static reading is from the Infinity control.

The Infinity reads Total ESP,that's the supply and return added together,so your likely okay.

Return needs to be .3 or less.

Could ask that the test it,or the may have already,we test on every startup,saves a lot of problems down the road.

Did you get a two speed ,with the Infinity??

Yes, it's a two speed heat pump with the variable speed handler. I didn't think there was any other configuration with the Infinity???

They never did check the static other than at the control so it might be worth having them check it out.

So is the .3 max reading a total for all returns? I have 4 returns, 1 in each bedroom and 1 in the hall. Or is that the maximum static reading taken at each return?

I was speaking to an HVAC guy the other day about my new heat pump system and he asks me what brand. I told him Carrier Infinity and he says "Oh, they've had some mold problems with that system” He goes on to say that the variable speed handler blower is located too close to the coil. In high speed it has been known to pull moisture from the coil and distribute it downstream into the ductwork creating potential mold problems. He added that Carrier had been dealing with this for some time and has "redesigned" this handler several times in an attempt to fix this issue.

I’m curious if there is any validity to this or if this guy is just blowing smoke.

Thanks,
    Cashcow
    There is no truth to this that I am aware of.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Yes, it's a two speed heat pump with the variable speed handler. I didn't think there was any other configuration with the Infinity???

They never did check the static other than at the control so it might be worth having them check it out.

So is the .3 max reading a total for all returns? I have 4 returns, 1 in each bedroom and 1 in the hall. Or is that the maximum static reading taken at each return?

Infinty"reads" the static of the entire supply and entire return.and gives you just the total.

They would need to take the return static ,at the return duct/plenum side of the air handler,between any "addon" filter(if you have one) and the air handler.

They should be well versed in this.The unit should be in high speed.

[Edited by dash on 02-01-2005 at 03:36 PM]

Carrier specifies that they are designed for .5 total ESP. If they checked it at the infinity stat and it was within range you have nothing to worry about. If there was a problem the stat would often say "dirty air filter". meaning the system thinks there is some kind of restriction. If you arent getting any messages, then dont worry. The reason they were having water problems is because of poor duct design. If ductwork is sized properly you wont have trouble.

.5 ESP total???

Check page 1280 in the "2005 Residential HVAC Products and Systems Catalog"

The chart show ESP up to .7 for the supply side and up .4 on the return side .

Page 1278, shows cms ,for each size ,with 350 cfms a ton or more in some cases ,with available Static up to 1.00 in.H20

I'd still go by the latest field info. and keep the return below .3 ESP,in horizontial applications.

It's advisable to keep it .7 or below Total,supply and return.

I am just going by what the rep told us. He said any Carrier variable speed system with .5 static would be well within design conditions.

Originally posted by dash
    [BInfinty"reads" the static of the entire supply and entire return.and gives you just the total. [/B]
    Are you sure it reads static? I dont know for sure but I am thinking it reads a feedback signal from the EMC that converts torque to CFM and static based on curves. (just messin with ya)

I am sure Dash, harris and hvac r us 2 would agree, It doesnt matter the brand but when you spend that kind of money on a system and end up with a total static over .5" you arent doing anyone any favors. Above .5" you get noise and last time I checked noise is a comfort issue. I understand the unit will handle it up to 1" maybe even more but the noise is a valid issue and a premium system like the infinity or anyone elses high-end unit shouldn't be installed to overcome bad ducts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast