Thread: you get what you pay for

Post Likes
    went on a no heat call today for a unit that previous serviceman couldn't figure out. upon arrival i am greeted by this serviceman, and i use that term loosely, he tells me he has replaced the gas valve, pilot assymbly, ignition control, and roll out switch and unit still won't work. unit is a 13 year old carrier gas pack purchased used by owner. first thing i do is pull the top off of the unit and find every cell in heat exchanger has a hole in it. owner says he has already paid over $400 dollars to the hack trying to get unit to run. i tell him it's going to cost a lot more than that to get unit running, he says forget about it, he will do something different.
    wonder how much he had to pay for the unit ?
    i wanted to put a picture here

Post Likes
    Why were you on the call with another tech present ?
    I had company trying to sell a house do that to me once, as a second opinion. 1st company said unit was cracked. Wound up being a scratch from a tool that made a mark.
    But no-one needs to be face to face with a second opinion,

we all are subject to fail at some point. No-matter how much we think we know. Theres always someone who knows just alittle more.Or as seen something we haven't.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Toolpusher
    Why were you on the call with another tech present ?
    I had company trying to sell a house do that to me once, as a second opinion. 1st company said unit was cracked. Wound up being a scratch from a tool that made a mark.
    But no-one needs to be face to face with a second opinion,

we all are subject to fail at some point. No-matter how much we think we know. Theres always someone who knows just alittle more.Or as seen something we haven't.
    i have no idea why this other guy was there. he recently retired from an institution around here, and does this as a sideline. no license, no insurance, and usually not a clue. he is one of these guys that charge $20 an hour and claims everyone else is ripping people off. the whole point to the post is that the ho thought he was saving money by getting someone to do it on the side.

as for working with other techs present, i have done that many times. i am often called on by other companies in the area to go with their tech on problem units. i especially like helping out co.s that do primarily refrigeration. that way when i get an ice machine thats being a pain i can call them.

Post Likes
    only an a$$hole buys a 13 yr old Carrier.
    and only a bigger a$$hole puts it in.

"i think we can get another 3 months outta her, Goober"
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tinner73

just because they're idiots, doesn't necessarily make them a$$holes.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by billva
    Originally posted by tinner73

just because they're idiots, doesn't necessarily make them a$$holes.
    you should have seen the install. unit was sitting on concrete blocks stacked 3 high. plenums extended into building return was a 16" round tab in with a filter wired over it. supply plenum had a 16" elbow stuck in top of plenum, this was to keep air from recycling between the two. no cut off on gas pipe between meter and gas valve. if this unit had been repairable, we would not have repaired it until install problems were addressed. if i had my camera with meit would be on the wall of shame.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in