Hybrid View

This is by far the most entertaining board on this site.

When you open the thread it says, " no pricing, no DIY questions"

so if you arent supposed to ask DIY questions , you shouldnt answer them , right?

But this place is full of nothing but DIY (DO IT YOURSELF) questions. no one cares , they ask anyway. And most of the questions asked are so hard to believe they are funny.

I would really love to hear from the people out there that ask these questions , how much worse they have madee things before they finally call a service tech out. And how much more it cost them to try and save money

ct2: the only thing funnier are the number of us that attempt to solve the DIY's problem! It's as though we want to outdo each other with our keen knowledge. Does it occur to anyone that if DIYs could not get answers to their questions, they would be MORE likely to call in a professional instead of going through this exercise? Here we are, proud of the knowledge we have and the expert and professional manner in which we apply that knowledge, yet we can't wait to try to solve unknown problems in an unseen fashion. Don't we think anymore of our profession than that? I for one, choose not to provide free engineering, or sight-unseen diagnostics.

Just becaused DIYers ask questions about service, repair, sizing, price, etc. doesn't mean we have to answer!

Originally posted by irishmist
    Just becaused DIYers ask questions about service, repair, sizing, price, etc. doesn't mean we have to answer!
    Yeah, but when the wrong answers get posted, you can't resist either A) correcting the bad info, or B) Arguing about whose right.

In all honesty, I havne't seen that many questions that I'd call straight DIY (Like the where can I get a compressor thread) but more of "My contractor did this, and I want to check up in it."

Hell, if the stinking Find a Contractor section existed, I'd have looked up someone near me by now. My odds here for finding quality seem much better than the phone book.

I think we all just love the art of trouble shooting, it helps keep the hamster wheel spinnin'.

I agree with Irishmist. I've been coming here for a few years, and always look at this BB,and others but seldom respond. Most are looking for something for nothing. Last time I looked "nothing" didn't put food on my table.

Originally posted by r&mcc
    I think we all just love the art of trouble shooting, it helps keep the hamster wheel spinnin'.
    SO, it's playtime at the expense of someone who needs guidance.

Not cool.

Those rules were put in place for many reasons, and there are plenty of opportunities to practice mental troubleshooting with the other pros on this site, who have the background and ability to sort through the BS, and not hurt anyone or irreparably damage a piece of equipment or an entire house...

Maybe just maybe Build central can put up a pay per question for the homeowner,and if you are a paid member you can reply back to the homeowner with a real answer to help them a little but with a little percent back to you or your company. Just a thought. This would have to be in a private thread that no one can read except for you and the homeowner and deleted after a few days or so.

actually, by posting information about my DIY questions, you've all done a great job in getting me to hire things done

How do you tell the difference between someone who just wants to better understand what the repairman is going to do, or get some info to jump start the process and avoid the second and third callback if the company he hires sends someone who doesn't pick up on the problem the first time, and someone who actually intends to take the thing apart and tinker with it themselves? The one you definitely should help! The other you should help even more so they realize that they aren't qualified to safely do that!

In my case, and I think in the majority of posts that I read here, people are trying to get their head around some of the specifics so that they can understand what the guy is going to do when he gets there. They are not going to do it themselves.

Some people have no interest in how the magic boxes that keep them alive and comfortable work. These are the only people you want to hire you? I have no interest in having infrastructure in the place that I don't understand to some degree. Otherwise how will I know when it starts to go south. Come and check the run cap in my AC unit as I think it's going bad at your time? Or a no AC call when it's 125 in my attic?

An important part of offering the DIY info here to to let the potential DIY'er know what they are in for if they are going to actually do it! You guys generally do a good job of that. Dont do it and here's why... is a lot more palatable to us poor home owners than telling me I'm stupid and unqualified and to leave the mysteries to the priests