+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duct sock

Post Likes
    Anyone see this new duct system? It's a fabrick duct held open by static air psi while the unit blower is on.

http://www.ductsox.com/

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I think it's a potential nightmare, but I've never seen it in operation.

[Edited by TB on 01-31-2005 at 06:51 AM]
    TB
    Everyone knows something I don't.

2 Chronicles 7:14
    14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Post Likes
    i've seen it the destin fl, bass pro shop.Looks ok,i guess duct cleaning would be easy, just throw it in a washer machine.

Post Likes

Hmm

We used the "duct sock" on a bingo hall, by request. It was promoted with the concept that the time saved would be a tremendous cost advantage. In reality, having to hang the supports per manufacturer's recommendation at certain close spacing, and the associated prep, did very little to offset the cost of using a galvanized duct system or even spiral pipe. Probably won't use again if it is left up to us.

Post Likes
    I have seen it, matter of fact they put it here in the new convention center. I bid it for a 10ton rtu job, got all the specs and prices, looked cool and all but in the end I felt better using sprial. The sox ain't cheap and like irish said, I read the hanging instructions and it looked like it would be a real PIA, I was afraid I would mess it up or something, I may try it one of these days.
    Maybe ya can't teach an old dog new tricks.
    woof woof.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    We did one for a MAU in a factory. It was 200ft long and 36" dia. I was very happy with the whole thing. The duct comes with little clips like you find on a dog lease.

There are 2 - 1/4" cables that you have to put up. That took 2 men a day and a half. The actual hanging of the duct with the aid of a rolling scaffle- 20 mins.

The factory was fantastic in engineering and with any questions we had. It is expensive so on a 10 ton system I would probably stick with spiral. But on big stuff I would not hesitate in using it again.

[Edited by benncool on 01-31-2005 at 11:48 AM]

Post Likes

We did one with

a huge swamp cooler at the County Fairgrounds. Looked like a huge condom fillin up when them big ol blowers kicked in. Banged and jumped when it was full. I wasn't impressed.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

Re: We did one with

Originally posted by spotts
    a huge swamp cooler at the County Fairgrounds. Looked like a huge condom fillin up when them big ol blowers kicked in. Banged and jumped when it was full. I wasn't impressed.
    hmmm... That is surprising. Did you have the factory size it? We had the factory repre come right to the job. We supplied him with the cfm info for the unit and it came out perfect.

Post Likes

OK I admit.

It was just a changeout before I understood much about sizing the duct to the airflow. County said "Can you put in bigger swamp coolers?" I said "Ummmmm hmmmmm" and like doubled them. Even as I typed that I thought........ "I shoulda got out my duckylator and drilled more holes".

Ahhhh see what ya get for tryin to slip one past beenie? What? Can he see right through this screen and tell when I'm lying? © Beenies eye!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

Re: We did one with

Originally posted by spotts
    Looked like a huge condom fillin up when them big ol blowers kicked in.
    That's why Mommy has to keep wearing those big shirts all the time. You keep trying to use those condoms that are too small for the job.

Post Likes
    I decided not to use it on a job when I was told the lifespan was 10yrs. and the warranty was 2yrs.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    I saw this inside a building where we waited at before boarding on a cruise ship last year. I'd never seen that before then. It had nice rectangular duct leading up to the ductsock. We'd probably never use it in this area, although it would be something new to learn if I ever encounter it.

Get back to work.™

Post Likes
    It works really good in pool rooms. It won't corrode like metal. Very easy to replace if it gets torn or ripped up. We installed it in a YMCA and they got donations from people and we had names and companies printed on the duct. If I can find it I'll post a picture.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    It seems to me:

the air permiable fabrick and the style with the mesh screen vents and/or string of holes in the fabrick, would fill up with dust and lint like a vaccume cleaner bag.

Would this cause an "oil can" effect as the air velocity slowed and stat psi increased?

Does the static psi need to be high in these ducts?

Effectively, how does the air velocity in cooling do? Does it stay high enough to mix with the room air, or end up dropping straight down?

Seems like, in the air permeable fabrick type at least, that the greater CFM entering the room would be nearest the AHU where the static psi would allways be greatest; unlike metal, where you can balance it throughout the length

Does the equipment require anything special to make the duct 'work' as it should, like high density filters, blower upgrade ...

What do you do for a return duct? do you have to go 100% OA makeup?

as the duct sags on blower shut down, would it tend to shake off any lint clinging to it, causing a pile to deposite somewhere, or be blown arround on start up?

Could Tom Cruise crawl through on of these unnoticed in M.I. 3?
    TB

14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by TB
    Could Tom Cruise crawl through on of these unnoticed in M.I. 3?

I can not answer all of your questions, grasshopper. You should call 1800-553-5560. I know they were great when I called them 3 times a day.

Yes Tom Cruise could crawl through this ducts. Unlike the metal ductwork made for Hollywood. These normally have no points of screws, control dampers or turning vanes in them. You never see any of this stuff in the movies. The metal ducts are nice and clear inside so the hero can crawl through them.

Post Likes
    What does the factory say about installing duct socks, do you put up the right or the left first?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    You only need 1 sock! But you need to know if the A/H unit is right discharge or left discharge. It won't work if you put the wrong sock on.

Post Likes
    I'm just waiting for somebody to use it as return duct.

Hey Dice, post the picture when you do this.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by benncool
    Yes Tom Cruise could crawl through this ducts. Unlike the metal ductwork made for Hollywood. These normally have no points of screws, control dampers or turning vanes in them. You never see any of this stuff in the movies. The metal ducts are nice and clear inside so the hero can crawl through them. [/B]
    I allways thought it was funny how clean and shiney they were inside.
    TB

Post Likes
    Does the fabrick hold up to basketball hitting it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wesley berg View Post
    Does the fabrick hold up to basketball hitting it?
    Sure does. These systems were just installed in a new YMCA here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in