Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filtrete

Post Likes
    I have returned!!!

Now, before you guys get upset let me state that this thread is about a guy returning to the regular MERV 8 filters.

I have two returns, one is a 16X20X1 and the other is a 20X20X1. For the 16X20 I use a NaturalAire filter (8 Merv) and for the 20X20X1 I was using a 3M Filtrete. Like you all said, the Filtrete loaded up fast so I had to replace it every month (2 months was the longest it would last). I have one more left and noticed something funny on the packaging. It now states (in bold letters with red background) on the cover.

THE INFORMATION ON THIS STICKER SUPERSEDES THE INFORMATION ON THE PACKAGE.

This filter does not outperform all other 1" filters. THIS FILTER IS RATED AT MERV 11 AND ITS MPR IS UNDER 1250. However, it does outperform all fiberglass, non-electrostatic pleated, and washable 1" filters.

1)So, what is the point of MERV? Is it simply a rating of restrictiveness?

2)Does one need anything over a MERV 8?

3)Is there a difference among manufacturers (NaturalAire, American, etc)?

Post Likes
    Sounds like the filtrete was working pretty good if if loaded up quick. We'all change our filters monthly here in south Texas.Can't tell where yer frum.

Post Likes
    Sorry vettech, I'm in North Carolina. Still looking over the packaging, they now put a sticker that says MERV 11 over the MERV 12 on the packaging. Guess they got a lot of complaints about it being too restrictive or it was not a true MERV 12.

I'm worried about the high pressure drop and wondering what 1" filter I should use.

Post Likes
    If filter A loads up in 1 month, and filter B loads up in 4 months, which one is doing the better job?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    It's definately filtering better, just wondering if I need it (and if the MERV 11 is causing a greater drop in surface pressure than a MERV 8).

Post Likes
    Those filtretes are garbage.

We were having problems on a 2 ton h/p system we installed over the summer.
    The HO was using filtretes and it was cutting back the supply cfms by almost 250 cfms! Thats 1/2 ton of airflow!

Post Likes
    My system is a 2 ton. What filter did you recommend (with MERV rating)?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Triton46
    My system is a 2 ton. What filter did you recommend (with MERV rating)?
    have this: http://content.honeywell.com/yourhom...aners/f500.htm installed and put the blue fiberglass into your return grilles.
    Your system is to be used for heating and cooling, not filtering the air.
    You are killing your equipment with those 3M filters...

Post Likes
    Much thanks Bolton. I plan to add one of those soon. What type/merv of filter (aside from the blue fiberglass) would you recommend in the meantime to keep ducts and blower clean?

Post Likes
    Buy a 12 pack of the cheap blue fiberglass filters and change them once a month...

Post Likes
    You must change your filters regularly or they will restrict airflow, unless you use those cheap blue ones which are hardly better thatn nothing.

Post Likes
    So Bolton recommends the blue (which I'm told is like having nothing) and vettech recommends getting a paper/polyester filter but change it regularly. See where I get confused?

I think the blue ones are crap myself, but I see the benefit of increased airflow. What paper/polyester filter would you recommend that is as close to a blue in terms of airflow but with better filtering? MERV 1? MERV 2? MERV3?...

PS Bolton, I'm in Raleigh too.

Post Likes
    so, measure your actual air flow with each filter type & decide -- the general concensis herein is to change to "5" thick filters for the least resistance & the best filtration -- just costs more to go first class --

or, put in carpets & let them catch the dirt -- such as happened to me in 1970 when I put carpet in liv rm & kit -- filter loading dropped 75%!! form 1/wk to 1/mo.

Post Likes
    Hi Cem,

Thanks for the response. Our filters are very high on the walls. One is in our vaulted great room 15' in the air and the other is on an 8' ceiling upstairs.

In doing more research, I see that the blue filter is an excellent filter to use with a HEPA (so I see what Bolton was talking about now). I'll look into getting a HEPA when we redo the cooling system (should be soon).

Is it possible to change a wall/ceiling mounted 1" filter box to a 5" box or is this something that should be at the furnace?

Post Likes
    This website had some good info:
    http://www.cerias.purdue.edu/homes/p...s/filters.html

So, now I am leaning toward a cotton/polyester type filter. Is there any difference in pressure drop between a flat filter and pleated filter? (ie will a pleated be more prone to pressure drop)

Post Likes
    I designed and installed my own system in my house that I built 1 year ago.
    My Honeywell rep provided all of my IAQ and controls for free so I went hog wild!
    My actual setup is an F-200 mounted on the return of my furnace, an F-500 HEPA, and a blue fiberglass filter in my return grill to keep the big dirt from getting into my rteturn duct.
    I have alot of stuff there, but I also designed my duct system per Manual D to accomodate.
    Most standard duct systems will not handle this set up.

Post Likes
    Hi Bolton,

Yes, after reading some more I see exactly what you are talking about. HEPA for the allergies and the most free flowing filter to keep the returns in generally good shape. I'm assuming that you have some maintenance ritual for cleaning/replacing return ducts on a yearly/2year/5year/etc basis as well as cleaning the furnace, motors, etc.

I'm going to talk to my reps about the HEPA today to get an idea of cost. They just replaced my furnace last year, so I think there would be a fair amount of movement to put the HEPA in. My setup in the attic is like this:

Wall==>Return Box w/mounted Humidifier==>Furnace==>AC Coil

They would have to move the furnace/AC Coil further down (a few inches) to make room for the HEPA. We're planning on having the AC coil replaced at some point in the near future as it is getting pretty worn out.

In the meantime, I'd like to use a quality 1" to do a little of both (filter and free flowing air). Whatever will do the least amount of damage (due to pressure drop) on my motor.

Post Likes
    I really don't have a cleaning ritual for my evap coil because it never gets a spec of dust on it.
    I just clean my outdoor unit and check pressures. (freon and gas)
    You need to make sure your return duct and grill are sized correctly to move enough air.
    The HEPA install really isn't a concern because it is mounted external to the system and bypasses a certain amount of air to be filtered. It doesn't restrict airflow for your system...

Post Likes
    Triton,
    Look into the Honeywell FC40 series return air filter.
    It's a 4" thick pleated and fits into your return grill...

Post Likes
    Originally posted by BoltonNC
    Triton,
    Look into the Honeywell FC40 series return air filter.
    It's a 4" thick pleated and fits into your return grill...
    Hi Bolton,

My system has a wall mounted metal frame with a 1" recess that the filter fits in. The grate is henged onto the metal frame. How would a 4" filter fit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in