Unit is installed as per directions and local codes. The directions call for a vacuum pump for testing. My question is: the inside unit is approx. 12 ft from the outside unit. Do I need to use a vacuum pump before I turn on the valves?
    Is this just for leak test, or to empty the line of air or both?
    Is this something I can rent locally to do the job?

Thanks for any help

Working with the refrigerant system, which you are doing, without an EPA Section 608 license is prohibited by federal law... This is punishable by fines and/or jail time... And do not tell me you are 608 certified, because, if you were, you wouldn't ask what the vacuum pump was for...

That said, my question still remains.

absolutely yes
    yes
    no
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Thanks BoltonNC for the answers to my question

I realize this is a DIY project you would like to finish yourself, but this part of the project you need a professional to check over your work and do a proper start-up.
    He/she will have a vacuum pump, micron guage, gauges, refrigerant, temp probes, and any necessary tools.
    If the start up is not done correctly, you will end up with a new DIY project that is very similar to the one you just did. Only this one will begin with you removing the one you just put in! :-)

I have never seen anywhere that rented vacuum pumps. But you will also need a manifold gauge set and a micron gauge to do a proper pumpdown. Also depending on how much the manufacturer charged the condenser with, you might have to add or remove refigerant from the system do dial it in properly. This takes some know how. You migyht want to call a local HVAC contractor to help you with this. Not something for a DIYer...

Originally posted by desertdude
    Unit is installed as per directions and local codes. The directions call for a vacuum pump for testing. My question is: the inside unit is approx. 12 ft from the outside unit. Do I need to use a vacuum pump before I turn on the valves?
    Is this just for leak test, or to empty the line of air or both?
    Is this something I can rent locally to do the job?

Thanks for any help
    You need to stop there and call a pro. How did you get the equipment anyway? That's crazy.
    Get back to work.

BoltonNC well said. This is exactly my positon. I just wanted to know the why's.

Points well taken oloenneker.

appreciate the fast replys, I am on the phone tomorrow for the right local service person

Originally posted by desertdude
    BoltonNC well said. This is exactly my positon. I just wanted to know the why's.

Points well taken oloenneker.

appreciate the fast replys, I am on the phone tomorrow for the right local service person
    Just some friendly advice:
    Don't be scared to pay the guy.
    Usually the ones who are going to do the job correctly and spend the time needed will charge more...

Good tip, and one I follow..."buy the best and cry once"

hire a pro cause without a vacum on the system it will not take out mosiurter and the system won't last long trust me and could void the warrety on the unit plus it needs tobe charge but a pro so have then do it and get a maintance contact it's cheaper in the long run just my 2 cents

just to follow up after nearly 4 years - I did hire a licensed sub to finalize the system - he did the work properly and all has been well - the unit is still in operation and the client happy...

Thanks for all the advice

DD