Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just to reiterate,
    The rookie starts at the bottom,that is the rule in every profession on the planet if it is worth learning. Keep in mind that your poor attitude translates into your work whether it is picking up trash or flipping burgers or installing a package unit on top of a roof. Do you think that every person above you hasn't been the grunt for their allotted time? Are you more deserving of jumping ahead than them? Just work fast and hard observe all you can, don't be a 'know it all' when you don't know &^$%, believe me, you will be spending hours on end under a house dragging duct work through the cat #$%@ by yourself soon enough, then on to mucking through the mud and the rain to install a unit all by yourself, then maybe on to spending hours and hours in a 130 degree attic, or hours and hours away from your kids on a baking roof trying to diagnose a 'simple' service call problem on a sunday. Wow that sounds WAY more glamorous than what your doing huh? And at that time if you have the attitude to make it that far, you will be shaking your head at the rookie that is complaining that he is ready to do your job as well as you on his first month on the job.
    Oh and by the way, if that mexican day laboror was doing your job..he would be doing it as best he could and happy to have that kinda money instead of complaining like a spoiled white kid.
    Oh and if you are working so slow that it takes you all day to "strap and crap" and you don't have time to go say "OK what next!" (with a smile on your face)it is going to be a good long time before you learn any more to do huh?

[Edited by stockfleth on 02-01-2005 at 11:16 AM]

Thanks alot stockfleth I was hating my job just got over it now after hearing

you will be spending hours on end under a house dragging duct work through the cat #$%@ by yourself soon enough, then on to mucking through the mud and the rain to install a unit all by yourself, then maybe on to spending hours and hours in a 130 degree attic, or hours and hours away from your kids on a baking roof trying to diagnose a 'simple' service call problem on a sunday.

Now I hate my job more then ever thank alot! just joking

Thats strange I think unquiring minds decided to leave us, guess he did not like the answer to his question. We were just being honest and from the way he put it I just dont think he was cut out for this trade. Im sure that he is trying to get on THE APPRENTICE, why take the long route and Im sure that just the type of gut Trump is looking for. Someone that just figured out why they call work and that you dont get up in the morning and go to play. If I were him I think I would just go to another shop and tell them I want a management job being I have seen what it takes to do the work and I would rather let the mexican workers do that. I will just hang around here in the coffee room fridays till the payroll checks come out. Ya thats what he should do lol.

P.S. sorry everyone for my ranting but after so many years Im just getting sick of some of the attitudes, even mine lol.

[Edited by dec on 02-01-2005 at 05:32 PM]

Just in case "unquiring minds" is still around, I forgot to mention, grab all the education you can on your own, don't wait for the boss to teach you. He might, or he might not, but if you go to a trade school, or junior college on your own, you will then have something to bargain with when getting that next job.

Also, like some of the other guys have already said, attitude makes a huge difference. There is a good book called, "Attitude is Everything". Go to the library and check it out.

The truth is, this is not a glamorous job, but it's a good trade, a way to earn a living, and there is so much to learn about this field.

After 5 years in the Army,I started in '91 working for a small family owned company that had a shop behind their grandfathers house, yet they had two of the largest industrial plants in the area, Conoco Oil refinery and Vista Chemicals. I started at $5 an hour and busted my ass changing filters and doing pm on all kinds of equipment from window units to 200 ton recip chiller systems, pressurization, vav systems, pneumatics, abd variable speed blowers. The pay sucked and the boss's sons were buttholes, but I absorbed everything I could. Doing the pm's I learned how the systems worked, sequence of operation, and from that I learned troubleshooting. I tried finding another job forever but everywhere I went they wanted someone with more experience, rejection is hard with only 3 years under me and I was far better than the other two I was working with. I stuck it out until '97 and left there making $8.50/hr (outside of where I worked I had no idea what I was really worth). I finally landed another job starting at $12.50/hr and I thought Holy crap! Once I had some experience under me I moved to a couple more jobs looking for the right place for me to be and never once took a pay cut. I am happy with where I am now making mid twenties/hr, but I still have my resume posted on the Internet, although the company I now work for is sending me to ammonia school and starting to work with seasoned veterans on low pressure/low temp equipment. They sent me to get my Louisiana state Mechanical contractors license (mine to keep if I leave)and there is more to come, I am shooting for supervision and that is not far down the road with all of the work that we are about to get. It has been a long hard road and I am now getting my just rewards.

Gee maybe my "TAKE INITIATIVE ATTITUDE" has stayed with me because of my military experience. I left home at 17 for Uncle Sam, got promoted rapidly, completed Leadership Development Courses and got an Honorable Discharge.

Hey JUNIOR if you are still there, join the military and get some self discipline.

You have no formal education in this trade. Get some.

You have no team spirit. Get some.

The sh!t has to be picked up. Should your boss hire a Mexican day worker so you can stand there and watch the Mexican day worker pick up the sh!it. Or should your boss pick up the **** so you can see how it is done in case you decide you will participate in the project.

Can you tell me what are the four basic parts of a refrigeration system ? You have been on a few jobs. By now you should have picked up a book and know what the 4 basic parts of the refrigeration system are. If you don't know this then you are just a helper. What do you want from your boss.

[Edited by benncool on 02-03-2005 at 02:41 PM]

Know what the 4 basic parts of the refrigeration system are.

I know protein,fruit,vegetables & bread.

But why are we talking about hvac I though this was a CEO web site for millionaires.HaHa

Started in the trade 31 years ago, making $2.30 an hour doing exactly as you. Yesterday i finished a teardown on a 1200 ton chiller and even with 3 people helping, i still swept up the crap. Even the guru's in this trade started on the bottom. I actually miss those days of not knowing anything, it was so much simpler then.

There is no fast track for this trade, unless your daddy has his own biz, and then it still sucks. My advice is to return to school and pick a career that is easier.

robhvac is offline Registered User- bad email
    Hang in there man, Things will get better.

thanks

Amen, HVAC brotherhood. Like many here, I started underneath the bottom. But after seeing the owner of the company I work with climb up a return chase and pookie a return with a bucket of mud and come out of it covered from head to toe with all kinds of crap, I don't ***** too much about job conditions. This work is not glamorous, but then again, I don't wake up wondering if I still have my job.

Red face

you poor thing crappy life just work like the rest of use

ok...just to clarify..... ahem...not ALL the kids of the boss are slimey work avoiding brats! Some of us did our time in 6 inches of mud (and cat &^$%).... plenty of it and that was the easy part. HAHA The hard part is having to prove yourself to everyone twice as much BECAUSE you are the boss' kid.

on the chance that unquiringminds was just venting, like we all do. Here is my thought....

just say your having a bad day and just came here to vent.
    The folks here tend to shy away from helping whiners!

We all have terrible stories.
    We all had it tough.

If you just came here to post your vent ... so be it.
    However, if you came here asking for advice, you got it in tripplicate!!!
    Now take some of it.

Do some reading. Ask questions. Get active in what is going on at the jobsites.
    Ask your boss for carreer advice.

and pray.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast