Thread: Fluke 7

Post Likes
    I'm an entry level service tech. and was wondering about the Fluke 7 Auto rangeing meter. To be more specific I really don't "need" another meter ( I have 3 ), but I must admit the simplicity and the convenience of the auto rangeing feature really interest me. Any feedback or experiences with this particular meter would be much appreciated.

Post Likes
    Autoranging is nice. I use the fluke 16. It does almost everything in one meter. It does a/c and d/c voltage, microamps, resistance, continuity, temperature. and many more. I still carry a seperate clamp on Fluke amp meter. It also serves as my back up meter as it does basic measurements as well.

Post Likes
    berad is it fair to say this meter can also be auto rangeing like the Fluke 7, but has more features?

Post Likes
    What is a Fluke 7? Are you sure your not looking at a Fluke 77?

Post Likes
    I just looked to see what a fluke 7 is and I honestly dont think that is what you want . I think you would be miles ahead with a fluke 16

Post Likes
    I just Googled the Fluke 7. You don't want one of those.

I highly recommend the Fluke 16. I have been using one for for a number of years, since it came out, and love it. It is compact, easy to use, and checks capacitors, and flame rectification currents. I don't use it for temperature, but it makes a good backup thermometer, or saves you having to buy one when you are first starting out.

Post Likes
    Don't waste your money! As previously mentioned get the 16 or the kit that includes a 16 a 320 series clamp meter and a nice carrying case to protect them with.

My first shop manager once told me "buy good tools once and save yourself a lot of trouble and money in the long run".

Post Likes
    I looked at the Fluke 16/322 kit... Looks great, BUT, I would've wanted a True RMS clamp on... That would've been a 1-2 punch... I still love Fieldpiece, try looking up the SC76...

Post Likes
    Before you blow your hard earned money on junk, give a serious look at the Fluke HVAC combo mentioned above. For an entry level tech, a true RMS meter is not necessary, unless you’re working on VFDs, etc. If you’re looking for True RMS, then go with the Fluek 179, 187 or 189. All are fantastic meters.

Check out these threads if you’re even THINKING of buying that fieldpiece crap.

Start out right, get the GOOD tools, that are gonna last, and don’t fall for gimmicks.

Fieldpiece accessory heads and what hyou should do with them

Fieldpiece opinions

Post Likes

Talking

Dave is right on with the facts! Just remember to replace the battery periodically!

Post Likes
    Just want to say thanks to all of you that gave me the advantage of your experience and let you know I appreciate your valuable time.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jack david
    berad is it fair to say this meter can also be auto rangeing like the Fluke 7, but has more features?
    exactly

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in