Thread: Boiler

Post Likes

Exclamation

my boiler keeps popping off called contractor said this is normal operation told me to thread 3/4 inch cap into valve to stop leak think i will give it a shot

Post Likes

Thumbs down

If you are talking about relief on top of boiler it is not normal for it to leak. You must never i repeat never seal a safety relief of any kind your boiler could explode. Any time a safety "pops off" there is a problem that needs to be corrected

Post Likes
    plug the relief and let her blow! thats crazy, CALL A DIFFERENT CONTRACTOR

Post Likes
    I'm thinking this is a gag thread... no one could be dumb enough to suggest capping off a pressure/ temp relief valve. We always cut the blowdown pipe at an angle so that joe homeowner cannot cap it off. If the boiler has a domestic coil it could be leaking into the vessel or the pressure reducer could be weak or it could be exceeding temperature. Turn off the water supply to the dom. coil if it has one .. watch the guage and go from there. At the risk of sounding redundant; do not, I repeat, do not cap off a safety valve.. you are putting yourself and your family at great risk..call someone qualified to check this situation out.. dont worry about saving a buck , worry about saving your life! oh and one more comment .. tell the tech who told you to cap it off to think about a career change.
    AJS

Always tell the truth and you never have to remember what you! said!

Post Likes
    expansion tank shot..... reducing valve? and whoever told you to cap off that pop off needs slapped....

Post Likes

boiler

still alive

oil-2-4-6-gas is offline Professional Member b&M _email server rejected
    Post Likes
    not for long with the relief valve plugged ----whats your address i would like to submit a bid--with your "estate" rebuilding your house and replacing the heating system --seriously though -with the relief valve plugged you have a time bomb in your basement --please have it fixed--

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in