Thread: Dumb Dum Question

Post Likes

Question

I was playing around on e-Bay today since the weather in Atlanta sucks. How can people legally sell freon R12 on e-BAY? I thought freon had to be purchased by an EPA certified like in HVAC. (and not that any of what they are doing is any of my business!)

I was also surprised with the quantify of Goodman units on the site as well.

Just wondering.
    Wes

Post Likes
    Well I always wondered how they would ship it to you too, that must be pricy.

Post Likes
    I thought so to west -- then I saw pallets of R12 at a local auto parts store.. no lic, just cash is all it takes.

How about forwarding the 4Sale info to the EPA -- let them figure it out.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by coolguysfl
    I thought so to west -- then I saw pallets of R12 at a local auto parts store.. no lic, just cash is all it takes.

Who was selling pallets of R12?

How much ($) per jug?

Just curious as it's not really a viable product any longer.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes
    There still must be quite a few walk-in coolers, and cars with R-12 in 'em. Could be a market for people that don't want the head aches of 'drop-ins' I reckon. Canadian rules are still a bit soft on the owning and selling of R-12. But none of the Pro Refrigeration companies here have any on display. Maybe the odd jug in the cellar.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by a\c don
    Originally posted by coolguysfl

Who was selling pallets of R12?

How much ($) per jug?

Just curious as it's not really a viable product any longer.
    I dont think that it was R12 he saw at the auto parts store. I DO see lots of R134a being sold at auto parts stores though. I am not sure that you need the EPA cert. for R134a anymore, and they do sell a little kit that "tells" you when you have charged it "properly", how you know this from only a pressure guge that has no numbers, and only a red section and a green section isbeyond me...

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ricm
    There still must be quite a few walk-in coolers, and cars with R-12 in 'em. Could be a market for people that don't want the head aches of 'drop-ins' I reckon. Canadian rules are still a bit soft on the owning and selling of R-12. But none of the Pro Refrigeration companies here have any on display. Maybe the odd jug in the cellar.
    Cars, yeah.

Coolers, not really. There are NO headaches with replacement refrigerants. None at all. Those horror stories and scare tactics were disproven years ago.

Post Likes
    No - it was R12 in 1Lb cans, it surprized me too. I don't recall the price, it was aprox 2 yrs ago.

Post Likes
    I can get all the cans of R12 I want here.

Its made in New Jersey
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Why would you even want R-12 for a car? You can convert to 134-A much cheaper

Post Likes
    They sell cans of 134-a at Wal-marts. I didn't think they were suppose to, but they do. Comes in a kit for auto ac.

Post Likes
    I can get all the cans of R12 I want here.

Its made in New Jersey

Can I get the name and adress of the company making it in NJ please. (not that it's any of my busniess)

I remember seeing someone selling crack on the street 5 yrs ago----I thought it was illegal to sell----
    But that was 5 yrs ago---NOTHING CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT NOW

Post Likes

[/B][/QUOTE]

Cars, yeah.

Coolers, not really. There are NO headaches with replacement refrigerants. None at all. Those horror stories and scare tactics were disproven years ago. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, I must have slept through that class...
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes
    I never understood why I have seen R-22 in AutoZone. It was being sold in cans about 10" tall.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in