I am reading some Ruud literature and they say that if the linesets are sized properly and in good shape you can MAYBE clean them out thoroughly and re-use then in a replacement R410a system. Completely incompatible lubricants and they seem to be saying "lots o luck Charlie!" between the lines. In this particular thing I am reading they don't discuss exactly how that might be done...
    Anyone tried this? How? And what were the results?

I can just imagine the screaming coming up from the homeowners if you have to bust up their finished palaces to run new linesets for the R410a systems in the coming years.

I can not speak for Rheem, but Carrier has always said that as long as the lines are the correct size they can be used for R410. They say to get as much oil as possible out of the old lines by flushing with nitrogen and cutting and draining any low spots. You can have up to 5% mineral oil left in the system and not be a problem.

If the previous system was a burn out and lines are contaminated, it would be best to replace them. If replacment is not possible, then the use of suction line filters and liquid line driers to clean the system is acceptable. This is the same thing you would do if you have a burn out on a R410 system since I am sure no one is going to change the line set every time there is a burn out.

I have seen hundreds of lineset reused and never have seen a problem with them, as long as they are the correct size.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

I agree. Re use of line sets is probably the rule and not the exception, as long as they are proprly sized. I would recommend evacuation and vacumn pump, and would probably put a drier in the line regardless (just good practice.) Then REMOVE the drier within about 30 - 45 days. Should be no problem at all. Plain spoken covered it very well, and was.......well,............plain spoken.

Just A Thought

When would a line set for R22 be the right size for a R410a retrofit. All the R410a systems I've put in the line sets are one size (aprox)smaller than their R22 counterparts

Lennox recommends replacing line sets when changing fron R22 to R410A. That being said they train in the certifying course to be able to buy R410A systems to fill the old lineset completely with virgin liquid R22 to strip the mineral oil from the copper walls and recover it. I accomplished this on a retrofit with lines in slab by cutting out the evap coil, making up a fitting to connect the suction line to the liquid line where the coil was removed, closing the CU service valves. Then evacuate the isolated line set, break vacuum with liquid into the suction line (Schrader cores removed from service valves) and recovery unit drawing from liquid line service valve using a sight glass on the recovery unit to tell when the line set is full of liquid R22. When lines are full shut tank valve and recover all of the R22. This leaves the line set clean enough for introduction of R410A.
    Licensing laws are tough, and it's about time.

I guess I wonder why you would buy a brand new car and have the old tires installed. It is a system and the more you monkey with design the more likely you are to have problems. If the lineset is correct and you want to spend all that effort to flush it and hope for the best, go ahead but unless you want to test the oil, it seems to me replacing the lineset would be the preferred method.

I think most would agree that replacing the line set is preferrable on all new installations. Some times it is not feasible for many reasons. I just want to make sure everyone understands that if you can not replace the line set that it does not preclude the use of R410A. If you would have reused it for R22 you can reuse it for R410A. This will become more of an issue in the very near future as R22 installations are phased out, and a better understanding is essential.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

If you are a homeowner, for peace of mind, have them replaced.

I just had my system replaced with a 410a system and there was no way I would have allowed them to re-use the old lineset.

I'm sure it can be vacuumed to manufacturer recommendations but as a homeowner, it's not worth the worry. Get a new, clean set-up.

No Problemo Dude :-)

Originally posted by mestopin
    If you are a homeowner, for peace of mind, have them replaced.

I just had my system replaced with a 410a system and there was no way I would have allowed them to re-use the old lineset.

I'm sure it can be vacuumed to manufacturer recommendations but as a homeowner, it's not worth the worry. Get a new, clean set-up.
    We replace the linesets when ever we can. The cost of a reaplcement lineset can run anywhere from $600.00 upwards to $1,100.00 which is added cost to the homeowner.

And in some rare cases even more, recently had to hire plasters to coem in an lath and plaster, texture to hide the lineset up a wall, plenty expensive but if it's what thee homeowners want and thier willing to pay for it wy not...

Replacing the lineset doesn't cut into our profits so why wouldn't we if the homeowner wants it replaced...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Assuming the sizing is correct - the culprit here as you know is the oil incompatability and the high sensitivity to moisture.

I had the same concerns when we switched to Carrier (R410A) products and had applications where changeing the lineset just was'nt practical. We've had a few high rise applications where we'd have to tear out walls on 7 floors to access line sets that are bundled.

The Carrier tech rep forwarded me a factory bulletin that identified taking the sags out of the line set & useing a R410 flush kit (that Total line happens to sell). So far so good.

On the suggestion of removeing the drier after 45 days.... here's a news flash - a drier is totally consumed after 5 hrs of run time... it will always stop a chunk of solder, but as far as moisture removeal, 5 hrs is all she wrote. Also--- when you remove a drier, pls use a tubing cuter, not a torch - that just bakes the moisture right out again.

Question

if it's possible every change out i do i run new copper and condesate line. i think it's part of doing a quality job i know plenty of contractor around me that don't. i'm not sure it it's because they to lazy or just don't care about quality