Thread: Circulator is white-hot...

Post Likes

Exclamation

I've got a Taco 007 circulator on a SlantFin gas-fired boiler, 145,000BTE D.O.E, 125,000BTU for water. Furnace is not doing potable hot-water. Unit installed mid-1999.

If it runs for 20 mins straight, I swear the circulator gets hotter than the water-output of the furnice (which is 180degrees)

Does its temp. indicate a problem?

Post Likes
    You might want to check the actual temp at the circulator. Does it have a well you can insert a thermometer into? You could also read the temp with a digital probe against the surface of the circulator. What is the temp in and out?

Post Likes
    if the amp draw is within specs., don't worry about it.

Post Likes

hot circulator

Is that a wet rotor type circulator ?
    Is the circulator motor in the horizontal position?

Post Likes

Re: hot circulator

Originally posted by bestexpert
    Is that a wet rotor type circulator ?
    Is the circulator motor in the horizontal position?
    Taco "00" series are all wet rotor.

Post Likes
    Taco "00" pumps are wet rotor and get extremely hot to the touch. Hard to believe they can work in that environment. Most of these pumps are piped directly off the header of the boiler nowadays, where water temps exceed 220°F and the pumps are working well.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    The 0014 can be mounted vertical if the psi is over 20. Go figure.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Post Likes

Vertical

Your right.......The 00's can run vertical if you boost up the pressure above 20# if pressure drops below 20# they make noise... I always ask "Why?" Why bother ? Install them hozontal and live in peace....See no reason

Post Likes
    Few days ago a circulator in my house quit. It is Taco 007. I took it apart, and found seized rotor. In the past I moved it from original position on return, to discharge line after air scoop. I mounted it in vertical position with impeller facing up. Will never do this again. Now I turned pump flanges 90 degrees and rotor is horizontal like it was originally.
    After I freed rotor under running facet I noticed one thing.
    When holding cartridge horizontally, rotor moves more freely then in vertical position,
    almost like it would need a trust bearing to work right.
    There is one thing that makes me wander.
    Why increasing pressure above 20psi makes a difference?

[Edited by sigma on 03-02-2005 at 12:09 AM]

Post Likes
    If I remember correctly, which may be questionable, most packaged boiler systems in the past would send there boilers with 00 preassembled in the vertical position, I cant say that Ive seen premature failure due to this.Never heard of boosting psi to accomodate circulator. Interesting. This may not be a popular view, but 3-piece pumps when maintaned properly perform more reliably than wet rotors. The curves just a little to flat for my taste, not quite as versatile. I wouldnt be to concerned about the heat, they do run hot.

Post Likes

Wink

Why do people call a boiler a furnace? ( Just bugs me) Your other posting was about gurgling water in the base board, you may have air in the loop and the circulator is running at high temp limit.
    The obvious is obvious

Post Likes
    Thats a possibility, how hot is hot. Can you strap a temp gauge to the pump? Still hearing gurgling?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in