Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The "yellow" ductboard we use is OC Gold. It has a liner just like the black stuff.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Black fibreglass ductboard

I dont know who makes it, but when I worked in Florida, I used the black insulated ductboard (1 1/2") any I would swear by it, especially if you did what I have done in most cases and paint the inside / outside of the ductboard with white Mastic (Duct Selant). I do not ever see ductboard coming apart then, but if I would do sheetmetal ducting, I would choose metal wrapped ducting.

Ductboard is very versatile to use, can be used just about anywhere.

Re: Re: Doesn't emnas but are...

[/B][/QUOTE]
    So you're saying that California passes ultra-tough energy bills because they're enlighted and have unparalleled foresight?
    Yeah. Where was their enlightenment and foresight BEFORE the rolling blackouts? They have the toughest energy laws in America because they've screwed themselves worse than any other state in America.
    Foresight is only admirable if it happens before the fact. (For example, implementing tough energy laws BEFORE the energy crisis, instead of panicking in the aftermath.) If it happens after the fact, it's called hindsight.
    We had some friends from California. They took their kids to Montana on vacation. The kids refused to get out of the car because they couldn't see any air to breathe. True story.
    Yeah. You rule, California.

That's wittier than hell heckler!
    And excellent insight.
    Welcome!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Re: Re: Doesn't emnas but are...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by heckler
    [B]
    Originally posted by AllTemp
    Originally posted by chillbilly
    Originally posted by indian
    Originally posted by dash
    ?
    California is the ONLY state that does alot of things the rest of the union wouldn't go for.
    Does this mean they are advanced or correct?
    Nope.
    Asbestos and fiberglass are are as different as a pistachio nut and a fruit, no offense intended to Californians.

California has been and as usual is leading the US in Energy Efficency mandated standards which as you put it the "Union" follow.

Calfiornia mandated 12 seer and then 13 seer long before it was a federal mandate. California Title 24 is the toughest energy reform any state has ever faced.
    So you're saying that California passes ultra-tough energy bills because they're enlighted and have unparalleled foresight?

Yeah. Where was their enlightenment and foresight BEFORE the rolling blackouts? They have the toughest energy laws in America because they've screwed themselves worse than any other state in America.

Foresight is only admirable if it happens before the fact. (For example, implementing tough energy laws BEFORE the energy crisis, instead of panicking in the aftermath.) If it happens after the fact, it's called hindsight.

We had some friends from California. They took their kids to Montana on vacation. The kids refused to get out of the car because they couldn't see any air to breathe. True story.

Yeah. You rule, California.

Ya and not to mention we pay outrageous prices for energy (to the tune of about 20-25 cents a kilowatt hour in the summer time) Unbelieveable. What pisses me off, to keep a 3200 sq. ft home at an uncomfortable 80F, costs about 400 a month in the summer time here in fresno. ****ing sucks ass, then my dad gets pissed off at me for running my portable a/c in my room cause its starting to get hot here. Damn cheap ass. I definetely want to move to oregon or washington where at least the weather is milder and the electric rates are a whole lot cheaper.

ok duct board is not less expensive than sheet metal. thats just another reason not to use it. and i never claimed to have not used it. i have used it on request for other contractors but not on my own jobs.
    the cost reduction on ductboard installation comes from being able to use a $5.25 a hour man to install it. any moron with a razor knife and a roll of tape can install a visually adaquate system. the defenders of duct board claim there is nothing wrong with it if it is installed correctly. by my experience i can tell you no one getting paid 5.25 an hour is doing anything correctly when the bosses back is turned. this is not to say it takes a rocket scientist to install sheet metal. any 5 year old with 10 years experience will do a fine job but not for $5.25 an hour. also anyone using a $5.25 an hour man on an air conditioning installation job is a ruthless heartless money grubber only worried about his own pockets.
    dont get me started on minimum wage in america.

just this last question..if you were going to live in a box for a year would you make it of, duct board or sheet metal?
    if you can answer duct board to that then what about your babies or your mother?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by btaylor
    [B]ok duct board is not less expensive than sheet metal. thats just another reason not to use it. and i never claimed to have not used it. i have used it on request for other contractors but not on my own jobs.
    the cost reduction on ductboard installation comes from being able to use a $5.25 a hour man to install it. any moron with a razor knife and a roll of tape can install a visually adaquate system.

I don't know about you, but I don't design or install systems to be "visually adequate".
    I design them to convey air as they are intended, to meet factory performance specs. OK?
    Also, I have no problem installing duct board in ANY house.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by btaylor
    ok duct board is not less expensive than sheet metal. thats just another reason not to use it. and i never claimed to have not used it. i have used it on request for other contractors but not on my own jobs.
    the cost reduction on ductboard installation comes from being able to use a $5.25 a hour man to install it. any moron with a razor knife and a roll of tape can install a visually adaquate system. the defenders of duct board claim there is nothing wrong with it if it is installed correctly. by my experience i can tell you no one getting paid 5.25 an hour is doing anything correctly when the bosses back is turned. this is not to say it takes a rocket scientist to install sheet metal. any 5 year old with 10 years experience will do a fine job but not for $5.25 an hour. also anyone using a $5.25 an hour man on an air conditioning installation job is a ruthless heartless money grubber only worried about his own pockets.
    dont get me started on minimum wage in america.

just this last question..if you were going to live in a box for a year would you make it of, duct board or sheet metal?
    if you can answer duct board to that then what about your babies or your mother?

The proper design and installation of ductboard is required to make it last.If installed per the above,no you wouldn't want it,but it's very easy to do it right.

Opinions are like *ssholes & mine puckers at the thought of using ductboard for ANYTHING other than wrapping a metal duct installation.
    Take your time & do it right!

For what its worth, we prohibit the use of ductboard on our jobs, however it is worth noting, we are 99% commercial and what little residential we do is usually homes 5,000 sq. ft. to mega mansions.

Price the job both ways,explain to the homeowner why you believe metal is better to use the fiber and let the homeowner decide.

Well, btaylor, don't use it because obviously you don't care to make the system work you just want it to look good. Any of the 5.25 an hour guys left standing around send them to me. I have high school kids that won't work for anything less than 10 bucks an hour. Bottom line is, if you don't like it, don't use it. I am still going to install it in all the new houses that I do and if you don't like it,well.............use your imagination.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

a good job is a good job

I've seen great sheetmetal jobs and great fuzzduct jobs. I've seen lousy sheetmetal jobs and lousy fuzzduct jobs. It really comes down to the men doing the job. I have not seen low wage workers able to properly install duct board or anything else for that matter. To each their own.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Well, btaylor, don't use it because obviously you don't care to make the system work you just want it to look good. Any of the 5.25 an hour guys left standing around send them to me. I have high school kids that won't work for anything less than 10 bucks an hour. Bottom line is, if you don't like it, don't use it. I am still going to install it in all the new houses that I do and if you don't like it,well.............use your imagination.

if you have read the instructions for installing duct board the way you read my post then i doubt you can install it correctly. i never said i install visually adequate duct work i said any moron with a razor knife and tape could. learn to read and comprehend and you might not use duct board either . the stuff is crap, you know it ,i know it and so do most other people that care about quality. and the fact that you would use a $5.25 an hour man if you could tells me what kind of person you are. and personally i dont care what you do with your duct board, but i have some imaginative suggestions.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast