Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hmm

Originally posted by dash
    I doubt there is 1 home in 100,000 with metal duct in Florida.Lots on homes built in the past 30 years.No problems with correctly installed ductboard ,that we know of.
    Would that be only because fiberglass has been only recognized as a similar product to asbestos in the state of California? (California is the only state that recognizes fiberglass for it's inherent properties} How comforting is the thought that your heat and air system is only circulating air?

I'm not an HVAC contractor, but I know steel. I'm plant manager/technical control engineer at a galvanizing plant. We make Regular Spangle, which is what most ductwork is made out of, Mini Spangle, which is the same but has very smooth surface for painting. We also make Galvaneal which is a zinc product that is baked after coating this gives a very smooth surface for painting, this is what most car/truck panels are made from. We also coat steel with several Aluminum coatings, we actually sell Aluminized to almost all the furnace manufacturers for heat exchangers and heat shields, Lennox is one of our biggest customers. Finally we make Galvalume which is 55% Aluminum and 45% zinc, basically it is a poor man's aluminum. We also coat 409 and 410 stainless steel, this is probably what grade of Stainless is used for ductwork. It has just enough chrome in it to make it stainless but almost no nickel, if you get it wet it will rust. Galvanized should last as long as any homeowner could hope for, if your doing an exposed job on the coast where the steel could be exposed to salt water vapor in the air I would possibly use Galvalume.

Worst case conditions each product should last such as in an exposed crawlspace:
    1.) Regular Spangle, Mini Spangle, and Galvaneal will last at least 25 years, if its treated properly, meaning it has a chrome post treatment, inside it should last a lifetime or two.
    2.) Galvalume should last 40 years outside, 3 lifetimes inside.
    3.) Aluminized will last about the same as Galvalume but with better heat resistant properties.
    4.) Aluminized 409 Stainless Steel or just uncoated Stainless should last about 4 or 5 lifetimes.

If you have problems with galvanized ductwork then change suppliers, a lot of manufacturers buy reject or second class material, others buy prime material.

Frank

Originally posted by indian
    I doubt there is 1 home in 100,000 with metal duct in Florida.Lots on homes built in the past 30 years.No problems with correctly installed ductboard ,that we know of.
    Would that be only because fiberglass has been only recognized as a similar product to asbestos in the state of California? (California is the only state that recognizes fiberglass for it's inherent properties} How comforting is the thought that your heat and air system is only circulating air?

California is the ONLY state that does alot of things the rest of the union wouldn't go for.
    Does this mean they are advanced or correct?
    Nope.
    Asbestos and fiberglass are are as different as a pistachio nut and a fruit, no offense intended to Californians.

Post Doesn't emnas but are...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chillbilly
    [B]
    ?
    California is the ONLY state that does alot of things the rest of the union wouldn't go for.
    Nope.
    Asbestos and fiberglass are are as different as a pistachio nut and a fruit, no offense intended to Californians.

California has been and as usual is leading the US in Energy Efficency mandated standards which as you put it the "Union" follow.

Calfiornia mandated 12 seer and then 13 seer long before it was a federal mandate. California Title 24 is the toughest energy reform any state has ever faced.
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

God bless em'

anyone defending ductboard i believe is either using it for the obvious reason, cheapness, or grossly misinformed, or very inexperienced. quality work begins with quality material. as was stated it is a free country so use what you will. but i would question the reason for calling someones opinion bashing and throwing up the freedom flag as a deversion to the real subject. also anyone getting all their sheetmetal products from home depot is not going to complete the job without some customizing which cannot be done with a razor knife and a yard stick.

Where do you get the idea that ductboard is cheap?
    You priced 1 1/2" ductboard lately? Or do you just go to the supply house and spend someone else's money?

Read the other posts on this thread.
    There are good and bad attributes about EVERY material we use to convey air! Don't kid yourself.
    Many of the posters on this thread will condemn ductboard and fail to mention how many times they have used it in the past and continue to use it when applicable.

Also note that field modification is typical in duct fabrication regardless of which type of material is selected.

[Edited by chillbilly on 05-08-2005 at 07:03 PM]

Originally posted by rayr
    Originally posted by square2round
    Metal, metal, metal. Galvanized steel is used...you don't need stainless. Stainless steel is at least 5 to 6 times more expensive, on top of an already higher sheet metal cost than what it was two years ago.
    5 to 6 times lol. Guess u haven't priced SS lately. A sheet of 26ga 48 x 96 is over 150.00
    I was quoted $102 for a 4x10 sheet of 26g. and $257 for a sheet of 16g.
    Get back to work.™

Well, I have seen a job completed through Home Depot's quality heating materials. There was no customizing involved. I don't use ductboard because it is cheap, cause it ain't. I use it because it delivers a conditioned temp air from one end of the duct to the other, because I can custom make my own duct to the size I need on the job,because it is quieter in operation than most metal ductwork {I said most,not all}. The guys that are custom making sheet metal are truly artists and I envy them. But to say using ductboard users are cheap and misinformed you are wrong and closed minded. You should use every available option at your disposal. When you get your furnaces and air handlers do you tear the fiberglass out of them? Well you had better it might get into the air strem. Next you will want to quit wearing fur or eating meat. Oh my not that!!
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Re: Doesn't emnas but are...

Calfiornia mandated 12 seer and then 13 seer long before it was a federal mandate. California Title 24 is the toughest energy reform any state has ever faced. [/B][/QUOTE]

California NEEDS more energy reform than most.
    My eyes get red and I start choking just thinking about you guys out there.

Re: Doesn't emnas but are...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AllTemp
    [B]
    Originally posted by chillbilly
    ?
    Nope.

California has been and as usual is leading the US in Energy Efficency mandated standards which as you put it the "Union" follow.

Calfiornia mandated 12 seer and then 13 seer long before it was a federal mandate. California Title 24 is the toughest energy reform any state has ever faced.
    So you're saying that California passes ultra-tough energy bills because they're enlighted and have unparalleled foresight?

Yeah. Where was their enlightenment and foresight BEFORE the rolling blackouts? They have the toughest energy laws in America because they've screwed themselves worse than any other state in America.

Foresight is only admirable if it happens before the fact. (For example, implementing tough energy laws BEFORE the energy crisis, instead of panicking in the aftermath.) If it happens after the fact, it's called hindsight.

We had some friends from California. They took their kids to Montana on vacation. The kids refused to get out of the car because they couldn't see any air to breathe. True story.

Yeah. You rule, California.

42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address

Ductboard

In philadelphia Pennsylvania many contractors use ductboard in attic work. I just did an attic job and fabricated a 36 inch supply Plenum. I have never heard of problems using duct board if it is installed properly.I only use it for attic jobs that have short runs, then use flex duct to each room. I use metal duct for other work. Ductboard is not cheap, it is easy to work with and can be fabricated very easy on the job. Having metal duct fabricated and insulated can be very expensive if you are having a tin knocker do it.It cost me $25 to make a 3 foot supply plenum. The tin knocker wanted $200 to make an insulated 3 foot piece using metal with 7 start collar holes.

[Edited by 42yrs exp on 05-09-2005 at 11:21 PM]

There are two types of ductboard. The yellow is cheaper, easier to find, and more easily allows fiberglass particles into the air. The better kind has a black coating which seals down the fiberglass. Properly fabricated (with iron-on tape) and properly installed black ductboard is not going to deteriorate nor release fiberglass as claimed. I work mostly with galvanized steel but would not and do not hesitate to consider using the black ductboard on jobs. Yellow... that's a different story.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast