Thread: trane heat pump

Post Likes
    could someone please tell me if when its gets cold enough for the heat strips to come on is the heat pump unit outside suppose to be running? i was told it is not suppose to be running they said it would create a double electric bill which i have thank you. i was told only the fan upstairs is suppose to be running to push the heat strip heat out.

Post Likes
    The heat strips should come on to assist the heat pump or be used for emergency heat, when the heat pump has failed.
    Get back to work.™

Post Likes
    heatpump runs allthe time except in defrost mode.
    heat strips should be wired where half of the strips are used for auxillary and all for emergency heat.
    auxillary strips come on when temp is 1 or 2 degrees below setpoint.

Post Likes

Lightbulb

the double electric bill is all in you're head...

Post Likes

Lightbulb

did you think when it is cold enough for the heat strips to come on that the heat pump will go off leaving the heat strip to heat the house by it's self ? won't happen the heat pump can pull heat out of the air is very low temps but it does have to defrost ann will need help in freezing temps to heat a house.. but you'll have to find a better excuse or another person to blame you're high heat bill on.. i have a gripe why do uninformed homeowners come on here looking to dump there problem on the havc tech or installer when they have no idea how the equipment operates.homeowners before you blame get and idea of what else it could be it's not always are faults. now look at other things that could cause a high electric bill thank you

Post Likes
    the doulble bill is not in my head i can tell you. i have a 275.00 electric bill and its not from anything else except for this lousy heat pump. i have a 1332 square foot house and live in south carolina and my house is cold as heck but thank you anyway. i was not trying to find a excuse just a solution and i thought that is why i signed on to this page. sorry for your trouble!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    well how about this for a solution call a tech ??????

Post Likes
    wow you were so helpful i want to thank you so much for your help matt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    It is possible that you have a problem with your heat pump that is causing the system to run the electric heat to much, wich would drive your bill up.

You should get the system checked out by a pro.

Post Likes
    Heat Pump 101: Heat pump will be sized to satisfy the COOLING requirements. The manufacturer will provide information on the heating available with this PROPERLY SIZED heat pump system. Heat pump will satisfy heating requirements to the balance point (lower with higher efficiency equipment) but usually around high 20's or low 30's. At that point, the heat pump will continue to operate and the resistance heat (strip heaters) will come on as needed to supplement the heat pump. This is accomplished with sequencers that bring the strip heat on incrementally. for example, if you have 15 KW of aux. heat it may come on in 5 kw 10 kw steps. Even at 0 or below outdoor temp. the heat pump contributes significantly toward the heat load. Remember that the whole concept of a heat pump is that it is less expensive to MOVE heat from point a to point b than to generate the heat. I believe that the resistance heat (heat strips) should be sized to carry the load, or as much as possible, on their own, so that if emergency heat is required, it can provide adequate heat. Even under these circumstances, the heaters should come on in steps. Newer heat pumps are much more efficient that the "first generation" units. And in some areas, can be MORE efficient that other fuels, i.e. lp gas, oil, etc. As indicated early on, and so that I am consistent in what I say, DO CALL A PROFESSIONAL. I don't believe it was centralflinstaller's intent to be sarcastic, but the bottom line is to call in a professional to diagnose the exact problem and correct it. There is not much you can do as a HO to correctly and SAFELY troubleshoot the system.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by summer1961
    could someone please tell me if when its gets cold enough for the heat strips to come on is the heat pump unit outside suppose to be running? i was told it is not suppose to be running they said it would create a double electric bill which i have thank you. i was told only the fan upstairs is suppose to be running to push the heat strip heat out.
    summer1961 says he was told the above,My guess would be that was by his or her Pro,and it's wrong.

If the heatpumps not running and the strip heat is,your bill will be much higher ,and in some cases double.

Post Likes
    thank you to all who replied back.jus trying to get a another opinion because this is a new heat pump and is very cold in this house and the trane installer for our new house says nothing is wrong. thank you again

Post Likes
    An under charge or over charge can cuse the strips to come on to often, and too long.

Have it checked again.

Also, what temp are you maintaining idoors, and what have the ouotdoor temps been.

What seer/hspf is your heat pump.

Post Likes

Summer1961

>>> why do uninformed homeowners come on here looking to dump there problem on the havc tech or installer when they have no idea how the equipment operates.<<<
    That is precisely why they come here is for help to learn why they are having problems. If the caliber of companies were such every job was perfect, we, as members of our Industry, would just be helping each other with problems. Which means there is a very good chance we do not know how all the equipment, systems, and/or controls don't work either or we wouldn't be asking each other.

Anyway, I will offer this to you Summer.
    1. The nation as a whole was told utilities would rise this year and you can check last years bills to see what you were paying for KW hours.
    2. Many parts of the nation are colder than normal forcing longer heating periods each day thus raising heating costs. People with heat pumps and strip heat will really see the difference vs. gas furnaces which are a constant 80% or more efficient (gas furnaces can be as high as 90% efficient today)when operating properly.
    3. At 25 degrees outside, heat pumps become almost 50% less efficient (they produse only 50% of their rated tonnage)than at higher temperatures. There should be a pamphlet with the outdoor heat pump showing tonnage in BTUs at various outdoor temps.
    4. It is very important to have your system set up properly for winter operation. Your a/c person, or someone knowlegeable, may have to come back and check total system operation.
    5. It is also very important to do all one can to make a home as energy efficient as is possible construction-wise.
    6. Your a/c person needs to come out and explain why your system is costing so much to operate or explain why it isn't.
    7. You can contact your utility company and ask if they feel your costs are too high for additional feed-back on this issue.
    8. Hopefully the system installed is of adequate design and size to heat your home in the first place.
    good luck and hope this helps a little.
    tom
    ps: maybe you could tell us a little about your system(s) and also get back and post what has transpired.

Post Likes
    when the trane guy checked the charge it showed 60 on the gage and today for example its in the 20's in sc and the indoor is set at 73. we have 1332 square footage with a 14 foot at the peak vaulted ceiling in living room/dining room. the seer is xr12 and here is the number of it: 2twr2024a 1000ab volts and the handler is twgo25a140

Post Likes
    To follow up on centralflinstaller's statement about uninformed ho's that have no idea how the equipment operates - you are right, but it's not always the ho's fault. It would be helpful if Trane would provide detailed owner's information about how the heat pump should operate, when auxiliary heat should come on, when emergency heat should come on, when defrost occurs, when should the heat pump keep running, etc, etc. You pay several thousand for a new heat pump and you get squat as far as operational info - just brief generic stuff, and the standard "make sure you change your filter". I got more information from the manufacturer of the $75 dollar vacuum that I bought. You try to get info from Trane customer service and you get flipped back to the installer. So naturally when you don't have anything else to go on you are going to suspect that something is wrong with the equipment. That is why this forum is helpful to ho's.

Post Likes
    In the 20's, both the heat pump and your aux heaters should be running.

When the tech checked your system, I'd guess it was mild out, about 40 or so.

Do you have a ceiling fan in your vaulted ceiling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in