i know. there are no stupid questions, only stupid people...

situation: ranch house w/basement, built 1959, gas furnace in middle of basement.

the supply splits directly above the furnace, one leg along the ceiling into the south crawl space, the other leg towards the north crawl. the leg servicing the north crawl doesn't keep the house hot/cool as the south crawl. the only difference i can see is that the north leg supply plenum drops down immediately after the turn above the furnace to avoid all the plumbing placed in it's path along the ceiling, while the south leg simply performs a 90 degree turn and follows the ceiling towards the crawl. could the fact that one leg performs a more accute angle turn than the other influence the amount of air supplied to it?

thanks.

Most likly , the duct branch with the deficiency of heat/cool is undersized. Perhaps the former owners weren't as sensitive to the temperature differance.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Yes that could be all, part ,or none of the problem.

The duct could/should have been designed/sized to account for this.May have been a change ,in the field,that the designer didn't know about.

The solution could be as simple as adding a damper to the other duct.Or it could be that all the ducts to that side of the home are improperly sized.

This should only be done by someone who can test the External Static Pressure to ensure proper total air flow.If you restrict the duct to the point of reducing the air flow below thw minimum required for heating or cooling,you can damage the eqyuipment.

Don't believe you indicated the duct sizing, but a load caluculation would also indicate what the differences (if any) exist from one end of the house to the other. I can tell you that different factors come into play between the southern and northern exposures. A professional can do this as well as determine whether or not the duct needs to be modified. Question? Is the ductwork insulated that extends into the crawlspace. Technically, if the crawlspace is open to the basement area, and the basement is conditioned, i.e. you have registers dumping heat into this space, it would not have to be insulated. But if you are having problems with getting enough heat / cool to the space, might be a good idea. Will also help prevent the duct from sweating in the crawlspace in the summer time. As always, my recommendation CALL A PROFESSIONAL. And yes, Regis, that's my final answer.

no such thing as a stupid question... unless I don't know the answer... then it's a stupid question !