I was wondering if anyone has heard of a condenser pre cooler. A local electrical company is trying to sell this thing that looks like a humidifier that goes on the side of a condenser. Water trickes down the media and is sucked in by the condenser fan making you unit more efficent. Thats all the info I have on it now. I was told by one of our salesmen today. Any takers?
    How much is it an hour?

I would think the mineral free water it would take, would cost more than you would save. Have I ever put water on a running condenser sure, but everyday it would build up deposits which would inhibit the heat transfer, Geo thermal would be a way to go to save on energy cost. The better thing to spend your money on is more insulation or better windows.

IMO that thing would just turn into a service call when it clogs up with scale. Not a good idea at all.
    Mark

I have seen things like that. They are a bad idea, and not just because of problems with scale buildup and such.

It will make the unit more "efficient", in that it uses less electricity to run. The downside is that it will reduce the systems cooling capacity. Not as bad as doing something like setting a sprinkler to spray against the condensor, but it will still lower cooling capacity.

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I saw the guy who was offering them today and brought up some very valid points, one of which was scale. Don't get me wrong I'm not endorsing this crap in any way. It sounds like a good idea, but I know the saying about trying to build a better mouse trap.
    How much is it an hour?

Nutshell - it seems every couple of years the same old crap gets recycled.

This is an old wore out attempt to improve effiency. Yes - they'll have a study done in some bayou in Louisiana that shows huge savings.....

Trust me, I've beem in the mfg side --- the big guys, Carrier, Trane etc would sell thier souls to pick up a few SEERS - its all BS smoke & mirrors.

Anytime you use H2o you'll improve heat transfer... at least for a while - then mold, sludge, rust, oxidation, scale all take over and any savings are forfieted in LOSS of performance or premature product failure.

I would also tell you NO mfg will honor thier warranties if this POS is bolted on to thier system.

Keep the coils clean with good maintenance, buy a high SEER & good product to start with.

I agree totally, We just lost a tech to the company that is installing these pieces of crap. He told me that our local electric company will be paying a good portion of the install on these. Also hot on the market a moudulating head pressure contol, for up tp "20%" savings in your electric bill.
    How much is it an hour?

I should market t-stats that offer 50% electrical savings, since the cooling can't be set below 82 degrees

Head pressure regulators, refrigerant swillers, oil strippers, capacitive discharge power correction black box, condensor wet blankets...

ALL SNAKE OIL - if you're a dreamer or maybe subscribe to the black helicopter theories & you're convinced somebody at Exxon offed the guy that could make your car run on water... then these products are just waiting for you!