Carrier Advice

Hello All,

I am debating between the following two configurations for my townhouse:

Carrier 2.5 ton Comfort Hump 25HCC530Q003 15 Seer
    FV4CNF002 Air Handler

or

Carrier 2.5 25HBC530A003 15 seer
    FV4CNF002 Air Handler

I am having trouble deciding over the HCC or the HBC. The HCC has 5 additional years on the parts warranty. Other than that, what makes the HCC worth choosing/better over the the HBC? Are both of these good options? Any advice would be very helpful. I live in a 3 bedroom townhouse with a basement in PA.

I'd recommend you do a search of this site for all the many, many threads asking the same or similar question. You might want to start with "Choosing a Contractor" .
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Sorry I tried searching on the model numbers and didnt dind anything.

I finally found some specs on these things. If anyone can explain why I would take the HCC5 over the HBC5 I would be much obliged.

25HCC5

Performance
    Efficiency Up to 16 SEER, Up to 9 HSPF
    Limited Warranty 10-year parts limited warranty when properly registered1
    ENERGY STAR®
    Details As an ENERGY STAR partner, Carrier Corporation has determined that the Comfort™ 15 heat pumps that achieve system combinations of 14.5 SEER, 8.2 HSPF and 12 EER or higher meet the ENERGY STAR guidelines for energy efficiency. Proper sizing and installation of equipment is critical to achieve optimal performance. Split system air conditioners and heat pumps must be matched with appropriate coil components to meet ENERGY STAR criteria. Ask your contractor for details or visit the ENERGY STAR web site.
    Sound
    Quiet Level As low as 74 dB
    Features Sound suppressing compressor blanket
    Controls
    Controls Supported Thermidistat™, HYBRID HEAT® Dual Fuel Thermostat
    Technology
    Refrigerant Puron® refrigerant
    Compressor Scroll
    Heating Capacity (Btuh) 18,000 - 60,000
    Cooling Capacity (tons) 1.5 - 5
    Aesthetics
    Protection Steel louvered coil guard
    Construction Galvanized steel
    Paint Powder-coated, baked-on
    Coil Guard WeatherArmor™ coil guard

25HBC5
    Performance
    Efficiency Up to 15 SEER, Up to 8.8 HSPF
    Limited Warranty 10-year parts limited warranty when properly registered1
    ENERGY STAR®
    Details As an ENERGY STAR partner, Carrier Corporation has determined that the Base heat pumps that achieve system combinations of 14.5 SEER, 8.2 HSPF and 12 EER or higher meet the ENERGY STAR guidelines for energy efficiency. Proper sizing and installation of equipment is critical to achieve optimal performance. Split system air conditioners and heat pumps must be matched with appropriate coil components to meet ENERGY STAR criteria. Ask your contractor for details or visit the ENERGY STAR web site.
    Sound
    Quiet Level As low as 71 dB
    Controls
    Controls Supported Thermidistat™, Standard Thermostat
    Technology
    Refrigerant Puron® refrigerant
    Compressor Scroll
    Heating Capacity (Btuh) 18,000 - 60,000
    Cooling Capacity (tons) 1.5 - 5
    Aesthetics
    Protection Dense wire coil guard available
    Construction Galvanized steel
    Paint Powder-coated, baked-on
    Coil Guard WeatherArmor™ Ultra System

It seems that the HCC5 is talking about dual fuel according to stat. It is a heat pump that also uses gas heat for emergency heat and when stat is programmed for low outside temp to lock out heat pump and run your gas heat, it is all controls nothing special about the equipment except fan coil versus furnace and indoor coil. You need to contact your favorite Carrier dealer to set you up They will have all the paper work to fill you in. the diff between them seems to be the SEER
    Last edited by xpuser357; 11-28-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: clarify

Dukester

A tax credit should apply to at least one of these, ask your contractor to confirm and if so that may help with your decission

Okay a few more questions please, as I am getting conflicting information from contractors:

1) Are the below models variable speed or two stage? My one contractor insists they are two stage. My other contractor says the air handler is variable speed in the 2.5 ton. He says it is only 2 speed if you get the 2 ton or the 3 ton but not the 2.5 ton.

2) Does anyone have any experiance with the carrier base model Carrier 2.5 25HBC530A003? The one contractor says he would put in the Performance series thermostat even with the base model series. Could that cause problems?

I am trying to decide which is the best unit to install. I live in a condo and am debating between American Standard and a Carrier with heat pumps elecetric heat can someone advise me about performace & repair cost

Once again, WOW!

Find new contractors! They are both single stage condensers, matched with the Performance Series air handler. The air handler is variable speed and should be matched with the Edge Thermidistat for proper dehumidification control. The thermostat drops out the 24v fan signal when the unit calls for dehumidification and the motor defaults on a very low speed setting during that time. The idea is to move enough air across the evap coil to remove humidity, but not produce enough volume to effectively change the temperature in the space.
    In order to get a 2 stage compressor you would need to look at the 25HCB630. The primary difference between these 2 units you are comparing is the condenser coil casing. The base model (25HBC5) allows for the condenser coil to be seen and possibly damaged and the Comfort model (25HCB5) is louvered. The SEER difference between the 2 and the price difference should make your decision for you.

Paulette

I am a die hard CARRIER fan. That being said, American Standard and Trane are introducing a new air handler that is turning some heads. It would really depend on what match-ups you were interested in before giving you an opinion. At the moment, if I were purchasing I would look at the CARRIER product. Just remember that an air conditioning/heating system is not like buying a refrigerator, you don't just pick the one you like, cut it out of the box, and plug it in. The quality of the installation could mean the difference in great performance or a lemon!!!!