Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JCI FEC Adaptive control

I have a FEC controller that is taking a fery long time to ramp up. Chilled water valve is taking hours to open up and will not make discharge air setpoint. I am wondering if it due to the adaptive control or whatever they call it since the weather just warmed up where I am. Anyone else seen this?

2 ways to reset PID,upload controller and then download it.That resets the PID,or change the adaptive tuning to manual then change it back to adaptive tuning.CCT 5.0 and up have a network input reset for PID

Quote Originally Posted by dodger454 View Post
    2 ways to reset PID,upload controller and then download it.That resets the PID,or change the adaptive tuning to manual then change it back to adaptive tuning.CCT 5.0 and up have a network input reset for PID
    3. Change the process ID of the PID to something else, apply the changes then change it back to the correct process ID.

4. Command the "tuning reset" data point to reset, then command it back to normal, version 5.0 as stated above.

Make sure you have the correct process ID set for your process variable and PID. Find some numbers you like at change it to manual.

Ok thanks for the tips, but I have to play devils advocate here. It seems to me that you shouldn't have to reset it periodically. The customer has basically gold me that they have come out and reset them several times. But that's just me.

Is the valve or coil way over sized? If they are resetting it daily, something is not set up correctly or there is a mechanical issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mackinaw View Post
    3. Change the process ID of the PID to something else, apply the changes then change it back to the correct process ID.

4. Command the "tuning reset" data point to reset, then command it back to normal, version 5.0 as stated above.

Make sure you have the correct process ID set for your process variable and PID. Find some numbers you like at change it to manual.
    That wont work...you forgot the last step.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN62PAKoBfE

Quote Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post
    That wont work...you forgot the last step.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN62PAKoBfE
    Love it

I actually reset the controller and it started controlling normally. They are not resetting them every day, but this happens frequently. I wish this was the only site I know of that has this problem but its not.

Ahhhhh macca rania

Seriously is adaptive PID really this lame??
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Doesn't seem to be doing much adapting

Sounds like your loop is winding up to me. If its never getting shut off its going to freak out. If its trying to go one way for days and days then yeah I can see it taking forever to come back around. I have had it happen a couple jobs ago. I would put the loop in a hyper activity then depending on what "mode" you in or "occupancy" what ever your case might be then the loop wont calculate. No? You shouldnt have to be reseting your controllers....

Not been with JCI in several years but was around when the FEC first started hitting the market good to see that the adaptive tuning has not gotten any better. What worked for me in the past was to change the process id to something moderately fast and then put a ramp delay between the pid and the controlled device. This allowed the pid to tune fairly fast without actually causing the output to go crazy also put a limiter on the output so it will not go over 100%. Back then I found that when a device went from unoccupied to occupied or had a power reset it caused the pid tuning to go haywire and sometimes took hours or days to get back into good control again but the above solution seemed to really help. You really have to play with the process id data to get things to work well also do not just go by what they default you to. This is just a suggestion as not worked with the FEC for several years but sounds like the problem then is still there now. A lot of times I turned off the adaptive tuning but not sure if you can still do that.

It has never worked and it never will (.)

Worse come to worse, put the PID in the front end and move on, it is what it is

How about others besides JCI? Does anyone have auto tuning that works...to your guys satisfaction? I agree that auto tuning can have issues and only works in a perfect mechanical setup, which I've never seen in the field.

I do think it's easier to shut it off and manually tune PID's, just like the old days. So why all the crying? Are we not control techs, who should be able to tune PID loops ourselves?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast