I have a Rheem Imperial drum 90 plus approx 12 years old. In the past 3 weeks there have been 4 times that the unit did not fire during call for heat. I don't know if it attempted and locked out since we noticed the house getting cooler before we knew something wasnt right. In every occurance I reset the power off and then on the unit did prepurge hsi came on then unit fired and operates ok. This happened about 3-4 years ago and 2 resistors on upper left of board were burned replaced board and problem went away. Board looks OK now, changed batteries in therm., condensate is draining. My thought is that the HSI is on its way out(original) but with just getting done with a weekend well below zero and unit constantly running had no problems. I am a serviceman with the natural gas company, I have some diagnostic knowledge but am not an expert nor do I claim to be. Any thoughts on a probable cause since the lock out doesnt repeat.

12 year old drum is probably split open causing pressure switch to shut you down.

If not, ignitor is used as flame sensor. If really 12 years old, you probably will have trouble sensing flame with it.

just woked with one of these took advice from bald lonnie
    if you replaced the old board because the resistors were burned you were right for doing that you should now have the amber light to see if flame is being sensed older boards did not have that amber light.if the amber light is lit the ignitor is prob ok yellow means flame is sensed this ignitor was the flame senser.the is a refund if you are dealer to replace this unit.which is what i wound up doing with the one i was working on.you would have to have tools like magnahelic to test pressure swith. to see more
    could also be the time delay for the press switch.may be best to just replace and try to get the 350.00rebate back as this unit was recalled many years ago what is the model number?

Model is RGED-07EMAGS - I wasn't aware of any recall I will have to look into that. As far as the flame sensor light, The control board is inside an enclosed metal box in lower portion and this model does not have a sight window that allows you to see any error codes. Once you take off the lower panel you trip the safety switch that shuts off power until the door is put back on or you depress the plunger. The unit always fires when the power is reset so I cant tell if there is an error code. I do have a guage but I havent checked the pressure switches but I dont know if it will show anything as I cant get a complete lock out. And to top it off I getting ready to sell this house, If I cant find the problem the furnace will have to be replaced, thats fantastic !!

And another ones gone, another ones gone, another drum bites the dust, hey, they were recalled too, another drum bites the dust!

There is no, nor was there be a recall on this furnace (RGED) but there are always some people that keep prepetuating propaganda. There are plenty of dealers who will knowingly, falsely condemn a furnace for a bad heat exchanger when they learn they can exchange a service or repair call for an equipment replacement call.

The bulletin you are reffering to merely states that the units have been out of production for many years and the heat exchangers are no longer available. If you have a bad heat exhanger you can get a credit toward the purchase of a new one. The heat exhganger must be failed, it is not a recall. The discount is then applied on a replacement furnace by the same manufacturer.

So Hookie, yes, if indeed the hx is cracked you may get a 375 discount on a new furnace. In your case, I suspect a burner needs cleaned. If the HX is cracked ask the dealer to show you the crack. If it isnt cracked after he said it is, I would insist he pay for the new furnace out of his pocket since he sold it to you under the guise of a failed heat exchanger.

thanks for the reply- After getting a little disgusted with the whole thing I pulled the high limit and indeed there is a crack about 6 - 8 inchs long starting on the top rear of the drum,didn't bother to pull out the whole drum but at this point I am not getting co escaping yet. I already contacted a local dealer that I run into at work and you are right on the money that there isn't a recall, there were many service bulletins several years ago. There is no replacement made so they are giving me a rebate towards a replacement. I am changing the unit out next week and I may challenge Rheem on the additional cost since it (the drum) is under warrantee and it is not my fault that not only did they make a faulty design but that they no longer make a replacement when infact they are well aware that all of these are bad. Again thanks for the responses!!

Better read your warranty certificate before you make too big a fuss.

"If the heat exchanger fails during a Warranty Period of Ten (10) years after the effective date, If not available for any reason, RHEEM shall have the right to instead allow a credit in the amount of the then current suggested retail selling price of the heat exchanger (or an equivalent heat exchanger) toward the purchase of any other RHEEM gas furnace."

Unless of course you didnt agree to that when you bought it and got something in writing to the contrary.

Yes lifetime warrantees are great but generally they are what are called "Limited Lifetime". You're best bet is to take the 375 credit, and install a new one.

[Edited by docholiday on 01-29-2005 at 08:41 AM]

fyi,, around these parts,,, the heat exchanger is "no longer available" but is you put up a stink one will appear. they are a bad design unit and if you have problems with one requiring a heat exchanger, it is best in my opinion to replace the unit to a conventional design unit.

kgod

There are no more. They have used whats left, hence the program mentioned.

I found a bad drum yesterday,
    It was split at about the 9:00 position.
    It's a boat anchor now.
    H/O'er wants another brand, It goes in, in the morning.

They've been so impressed with the unit, they laughed at the 350.00
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?