Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Deciding between Bryant and Trane gas forced air furnace/ A/C

I am going to replace my 15 year old Carrier 80% 135K btu effic gas furnace/Bryant 5 ton A/C. (crack in heat exchanger/ A/c has needed freon replacement twice)
    I have quotes from 2 highly recommended companies. Both sized my home (3000 sq ft 2 story house - 1 szone for main house (basement is separate zone)/Phila) - Trane guy said I could come down to a 4 ton a/c, but i'm border line and not changing - currently have low utility bills and house is comfortable. except for the 2 upstairs bedrooms furthest from the furnace - these rooms aren't used much.
    QUOTE 1:
    Bryant Evolution Bryant Evolution System, 80% Efficient, Two Stage Heat, Variable Speed Blower, 135,000 BTU - model 315AAV066135
    Bryant Preferred Series Air Conditioning, up to up to 15 SEER, Single Speed, 5.0 Ton -model 126BNA060000
    Bryant Evolution connex Series Integrated Control System to control complete indoor environment -
    includes WiFi Access - model SYSTXBBECW01
    incl 10 year parts and labor warranty, 20 year parts on heat exchanger, 2 years Prev Maintenance
    QUOTE 2:
    1-Trane, high efficiency, 5 ton, air cooled, condensing unit (T4TTR6061) (XR16)
    1-Trane, 2 stage, variable speed, gas fired, forced warm air furnace with hot surface ignition (TUD2D140A9V5) (XV80) 140K btu
    1-Aspen, high efficiency, cooling coil (ACE60D44245L015)
    1-Honeywell, Vision Pro, internet capable, multi-stage, programmable thermostat (HTH8321WT1001)
    2 year limited service policy and 2 year maintenance policy . 5 year limited warranty on parts by manufacturer (Contractor will register equipment with Trane’s Warranty Registration center resulting in a 10 year limited warranty on parts by manufacturer). Lifetime limited warranty on heat exchanger by manufacturer

Trane is more expensive but not enough to sway the decision to bryant if trane equipment is better. thank you

I have a question into the 2nd contractor on why the coil is Aspen and not Trane, same for thermostat.
    both said the return for my current system is not correct for a 5 ton a/c - currently is a 12x24" coming in from side.
    bryant can replace and come in just from bottom because their furnace is smaller
    trane will need to do a split and come in from both sides

is one system notably better than the other?
    I just read the question about someone else who has the bryant system that was recommended to me and runs fan on low (which was my contractor's rec) and is having "odor" problems, so not happy to read that.
    thank you very much - so hard as a h/o to make an informed decision

Post Likes
    On the plus side for the Bryant, the Contractor is offering a far longer labor warranty. That will come in handy years from now if parts, need to be changed under the parts warranty.

What does the Contractor offering the Trane offer of 2 years limited service policy mean? Pay more for the Trane and get a cheaper labor warranty?
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 09-03-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Post Likes
    Why 80% eff furnaces? Plus being oversized! I would want to see load calculations for both heating and cooling. Correct sizing should initially be paramount before equipment selection.

IMO

Post Likes
    I requested 80% efficiency. I would need to run the condensation line completely across my finished basement to reach the sump pump, which has not gone off in the 15 years I live in the house and I don't want to have worry about basement water issues doe to a condensation line. 80% meets my needs with fewer components to worry about. (I was back and forth on single stage vs 2 stage but contractors seem to be unanimous on the 2 stage) Also, my utility bills are low and I currently have a 80% eff. In my basement system, the only time I have lost heat was when the condensation pump broke.
    They said the service policy covers labor costs for repairs to the new system.

so is Trane generally better than Bryant in terms of reliability and longevity? thank you!

Post Likes
    also, the question on sizing is difficult. Both contractors I am considering did load calcs and came up with the 135K/140K btu heater I have (trane offers 120 and 140, said 120 was too small). however another trane contractor gave me a proposal for 120k btu/3.5 tons. His price was expectedly lower, but that proposal gave no indication of the reduced the size until I asked about it. So I eliminated them due to sleezy sales tactics.
    This was their proposal: Trane XV80 2 stage gas furnace with variable speed blower and a Trane XR16 single stage A/C condenser with Trane matching cased coil.
    16 S.E.E.R. 13 E.E.R. 80% A.F.U.E.

The question is the a/c. the bryant contractor said I need a 4.1 or 4.2, which doesn't exist so put me to 5. the trane guy recommended 4. but since I am comfortable in my house wtih low heating and cooling costs, not sure there is a good reason to go down to a 4 ton a/c and I asked for a proposal for 5 as well (I have both quotes).
    I'm very confused/unsure and open to advice. thank you

Post Likes
    Trane is having some coil shortage issues. We've used Aspen and ADP occasionally when we could get the appropriate coil from our American Standard supplier. Aspen can be registered for a 10 year parts warranty and you would want to register anything you buy.

Did I read in there you're in Philadelphia?

Post Likes
    Yes I am in Philadelphia! Know anyone here?!!
    the Trane contractor emphasized Trane's proprietary "Spine Fin" coil technology as one of their main advantages and said it was more resistant to coil leaks. given that I'm not installing the new equipment until October wouldn't I want to get this coil? I was wondering if he did this to bring his price down and I don't think this is a place I want to save money.. thoughts? thank you

Post Likes
    I would explore all possibilities of installing a high eff furnace possibly a 100 KBTU modulating furnace before accepting an 80% eff model. Discuss with both dealers before staying with 80%.

IMO

Post Likes
    The Spine Fin is on the outdoor unit. If you get a Trane A/C or heat pump, you get a Spine Fin coil. The inside is plate fin regardless of brand. Except Nortek.

Post Likes
    thank you for clarifying on the coil.

Post Likes
    does anyone have an opinion on Bryant vs. Trane. i appreciate the advice on the 80 vs 95% but I have made that decision and I'm sticking with 80%. I have had too many issues with the condensation line/pump on my basement furnace to go that route again. Maybe it was bad luck but I'm not going to risk losing heat to my whole house due to a frozen condensation line or a burned out pump. I live in the NE and there is nowhere else to drain the line to, other than outside. It isn't a big deal if I lose heat to my basement but it is a very big deal for the rest of my house!

Post Likes
    Everyone has their own opinion on brands. Probably get 50% votes for each one.

What zone panel do you have? Will it stage the furnace based on how many zones are asking for heat? If you go Bryant, I would think you'd have to go with Evolution zoning to work with the Evolution control which beats any 3rd party setup.

Post Likes
    Thank you BaldLoonie!
    I don't know that I can answer the question on zone panel since I don't know what that means. My 2 story house is just one zone right now and I didn't think that was changing. Should I ask the contractor if they are providing Evolution zoning? (can you tell me what that means?)
    The Trane contractor ahs been telling me I'm comparing a Lexus (Trane) to a Chevy (Bryant)... I don't know if that is true or a scare tactic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast