Thread: What to do?

Hey, I am working for a company that I have been with since they opened about 5 months ago. They pay me decent and I do have my own service van, but the hours are not really there, I think due to the company being new, but I turned down a job with the #1 rated resi - comm company in the St. Louis area to go with these guys. Because I worked with all of them at a previous company, it complicates things. They don't really seem to include me in anything company related, or maybe its because I run service mostly and am not really at the shop often. But I think it is time to leave, I joined with these guys mainly because of the promise that we would go union, but I do not see it happening. One of the things that I want to be in life is a Union service tech, I am fairly new to the field and need your experienced suggestions. Thanks guys.

Pat

35 views and no posts back? That is not what I am used to on this site.

Pat

One of my buddies is going throught the same thing you are. He was working for a company that only did residential and was only getting around 32 hours per week. So, he decided to move on to a company that does residential, commercial, and refrigeration, and he stays busy all of the time. It is a smaller company, but they do a lot of business in south county. It is NOT union, but it seems as though you have to know someone to get in the union up here. He is doing a nonunion apprenticehip though through the company and he loves it. He gets a company vehicle and all the bennies. He did take a small pay cut, but he gets more hours, so he ends up bringing home more. I would say to talk to some other techs in the St. Louis area and see what the other companies have to offer.

Talking

If your not happy, its time to move on. Took me 5 years to find a place that I liked and I stayed there 10 years then started my own company 2 years ago. I have been doing this for 17 years, 2 of which where college. Sheesh, now I feel old.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

tell your boss what you told us. it all sounds legit concerns and if its gonna be a good place to stay your concerns should be addressed with actions.

The economy in stl isnt really stellar right now.562 has let in many guys in the past several years with no connection.Be good at what you do and when the economy rebounds keep trying...theres 100's of guys laid off right now,no one is getting in.

My hours vary so much, last week I barely hit 25 hours, yet sometimes I do get overtime. I do it all, resi, comm, and ind. HVAC/R. The company just seems to expect me to do everything, from appliance repair to chillers and They know that I have only been out of school for about a year, yet expect the quality and level of expertise of a journeyman tech with like 30yrs of experience. I don't mind a challange, but it would be nice for them to give me additional training. Thanks

Pat