Question Fireplace Venting Options

We have a beautifull stone masonry chimney and dislike the idea of putting a large vertical termination cap on top (from an esthetic point of view). Rather than installing a sealed gas insert with co-linear venting, can we put a B-vent unit inside a masonry fireplace and terminate the single liner shy of the chimney top? We're not concerned with the lesser efficiency of a B-vent unit as we only want the insert for its ambiance.

What would be the possible negatives in doing this?

Without a rain cap, rain & snow in the chimney, corrosion @ the vent connection, possible plugging & flue gas spillage= sickness & death from CO. Not to mention lower efficiency, using room/building air for flue warming/venting.

We ordered some terra-cotta colored hi temp paint for one job and painted the cap. Would that be something you would consider?

Confused About the Rain & Snow

Currently, there is a gas logset in this particular fireplace (without a chimney cap) and we have not observed any rain or snow working its way downward. Can you explain why the situation would become different by replacing the logset with one that is encased in a metal box with a decorative front and hidden controls.

Cut an 8x8 hole in your ceiling, see if you get any water in there. Its a small amount direct coming down on a 64 sq-in area but its some. On a masonry flue typically this would all hit the sides on the way down and absorb into the masonry.

Check the install manual for any B-Vent insert you may be considering and see if they list that as an option for termination. They will probably all require the proper termination be installed. That is how they are tested the the only way the MFG knows it will work correctly.

I see a lot masonry flues with relined B-Vent water heaters. I cannot recall seeing any without a cap.

Doing a B-Vent model would allow a much smaller cap and if you keep it as low as possible you might not even see it from the ground.

Not that I would ever recommend a B-Vent fireplace to anyone.

B-Vent

I think I have a B-Vent, direct vent, or vent free fireplace, but I am not sure how to tell for certain what kind I have. It is a gas fireplace with the fake logs. I do not have an owner's manual nor can I see any marking to show me the Manufacturer or the model #. I do not have a chimney so that is why I believe it is one of the 3 listed above. The problem I am having is with the ventilation. When I light the fire it burns fine, but the gas fumes take over my house shortly afterwards. It's so bad that we cannot use the fireplace because of the possible health concerns. Any input is welcomed, but remember that you are dealing with the most amateur of amateurs when it comes to Fireplaces and the ventilation required.

Sorry to interupt....

Sorry to interupt your thread.
    I just learned how to create my own after I posted on yours.