Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with Lennox Furnace?

Post Likes
    Can anyone give me an idea of what is causing the furnace to cycle the gas feed to the burners on for 10 seconds, then off for 10 seconds for the duration of time the thermostat calls for heat?

Thanks.

Jim.

Post Likes
    It could be the stat, or the flame sensor, or dirty filter.
    Although I wouldn't think a limit switch would cycle that fast.
    What kind of t-stat do you have ?
    Is it round and gold, with needles to indicate the temps.
    Or is it a digital read out ?

Normally if it's not detecting a flame and goes off due to that, the unit will lock out after 3 or 4 trys to light.
    So it could be doing what the stat is telling it to do.
    Short cycling.

If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes

Not the stat.

Toolpusher...

Thanks for the reply...

The stat calls for heat and releases just fine over a long period of time. All of the on and off is occurring during the duration of time the stat calls for heat. In other words, the stat is not cycling every 10 or 20 seconds like the burners are. Also..because I wanted a new stat, I have had 3 different ones working the unit. The burners exhibet the same 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off with all stats.

Jim.

Post Likes
    I would agree the flame rod first place to start. Clean flame rod.

Post Likes
    Is it a new furnace?? If it is, check to see if it's grounded properly.
    Also any codes from the L.E.D's?? and check to see if your getting a constant 24v on the "w" terminal.

Post Likes
    clean the flame rod.....make sure the wire is intact all the way to the board.

Post Likes
    Some models had upgrade flame sensor kits.
    Lennox-parts.com

Post Likes
    Let the Lennox unit go through this for (3) cycles and then check the fault code (light blinking)and that code is usally on the door.
    I would also check flue,draft motor as Lennox has had some problems with draft motors.80MGF models.

The flame sensor can be cleaned by turning off power to unit, then left side of furnace (1) burner you will see a ceramic type steel rod with (1) wire connected to it. Remove wire, remove screw holding sensor, clean with steel wool, re-install and re-connect wire.
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    Yeah, 80mgf's and g24's had flame sensor problems, but that was around '95. Also some of the early mid's had a painted ventor motor, and the paint would flake off from the heat and screw up the pressure switch.

Post Likes
    If this is a newwsystem or you recently had electric work done check polarity to furnace

Post Likes
    Can you give me the model number please and what kind of thermostat is it would not happen to be a Honeywell digital 4 wire hook would it?

Post Likes
    I will have model and serial number tomorrow. Current stat is a new honeywell 8500 digital with 4 wire hook up. However...furnace had the same problem with a Rite-Temp 4 wire digital too.

Post Likes
    sounds like polarity to furnce is wrong

Post Likes
    Does the thermostat have batterys in it if not that is your questions those 4 wire digitals are crap they do not have a common on them so they "leak" a little voltage through the control circuits and can make a furnace do some wierd stuff seen it several times with the Honeywell T8400 series and Lennox equipment.

Post Likes
    first thought to come to mind is , check if the pressure proving switch is opening up. this could explain if your not getting any error code on the LEDs. if so check the flue for blockage or maybe time for a high wind kit.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jstarzy
    Can anyone give me an idea of what is causing the furnace to cycle the gas feed to the burners on for 10 seconds, then off for 10 seconds for the duration of time the thermostat calls for heat?

Thanks.

Jim.
    What is the model and serial numbers?

Post Likes
    i had one like this the other day, it ended up being water in the rubber pressure switch line.
    never underestimate the power of the darkside.

Post Likes
    Service tech looked at unit this morning....verified problem and ordered a new induction motor and pressure switch. Said if that does not fix the problem, the chimney needs to be looked at.

Any insight with this so far? Thanks to all.

Lennox
    Model # G1603/4 100-1
    S# 5887G10452

Post Likes
    Tech is from Gas Co. I have a full service contract with. I hope they are not just parts swappers. Any suggestions on how to proceed if they indicate "it must be the chimney".

At least all parts and service calls are covered....thanks to all.

Jim S.

Post Likes
    Also....

Furnace has a Robertshaw (indicates for Lennox on it) EC pac. There are no LEDs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in