Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Trane XL20i heatpump not so great

This past summer I had a new XL20i heatpump installed.
    Model #'s 4TWZ0036A100 (outdoor) 4TEE3C04A100 (air handler) and
    TCONT900 (T-stat).

This unit replaced a 7 yr old carrier model 38EYG036300 and FX4BNF036.

The new system I was told would provide greater comfort and humidity control - well it does not. At best the XL20i may maintain the humidity 1 or 2percent lower than the carrier was able to which had no special controls - single speed air handler. In the heat of the summer the Trane ran mostly in stage 1 until early or late afternnon - and briefly visited stage 2 on and off the rest of the afternnon. On extremely hot day stage 2 would run constantly at times. This is all great, but there is a lack of comfort when the system runs in stage 1, because the small amount of air that is produced 660 cfms and 530cfms when in dehumidification mode.

This system has been checked out several times and is stated as functioning properly. What I do not understand is the ratings for sensible and latent heat ratios would suggest this unit should extract alot of humidity. It does not dehumidify very well in stage 1 and paired with the low air flow the interior feels warm and unconditioned in stage 1.

I have informed the installer of my dissatisfaction and all I get is the system is functioning within specs and maintaining set temperature and humidity at or below 50%.

I have spent alot for this system which does not perform much better than the carrier it replaced. I am not sure what to do next.

All input would be greatly valued
    Thanks

First why did you replace a 7 year old system? I would try to contact trane yourself and have a factory rep come look at it. Trane is Very proud of their equipment, and sure if there is a problem would like to get it fixed

Soooo your system maintains humidity below 50% and maintains set point at the thermostat. What exactly is your issue? Have you tried lowering the thermostat setting when your to warm and uncomfortable?
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by wtl98 View Post
    I have informed the installer of my dissatisfaction and all I get is the system is functioning within specs and maintaining set temperature and humidity at or below 50%.
    is this what you meant to say?

hvaclarry-
    The 7 year old Carrier was replaced to achieve better humidity control - sales person claimed the XL20i would provide better control in comparison to the Carrier.
    Trane rep has checked the system, his only comments were air stratification can be an issue for 2 stage systems and increased stage1 cfms to 860 and stage2 1350, which increased the humidity alot.
    jimj-
    I would expect better comfort control form the XL20i, the carrier had no options for g humidity control. Yes ,lowering the temp well make it colder, but also causes the system to run in stage 2 constantly, thus creating wind chill from the higher are velocity.
    The problem is mainly in stage 1 - low air velocity to circulate room air it just feels stagnant until it finally decides to engage stage2. And the system doesn't hold the humidity level at the hot point of the day goes up 4-5 percent and takes a while for it to go down - well after sunset.

What part of the country? Was a load calculation done? What is the condition of the duct work? Location of supply registers and return grilles? Standard or programmable t-stat (Honeywell 8000 has some dehumidification control)? Single or two story home? Lots of questions here. We have installed a few 20 seer American Standard systems and everyone loves them. Without being there to look at your system there isn't much to say. Lower velocity will give better dehumidification on a system. From what I'm hearing, the only way you will be satisfied is to install a whole house dehumidifier.

A lot of customers are not satisfied with 1st stage, and I'd have to agree with them. I think sacrificing comfort to save on utilities is a bad bargain. Having said that, I wouldn't own anything other than a TRANE.

Quote Originally Posted by wtl98 View Post
    hvaclarry-
    The 7 year old Carrier was replaced to achieve better humidity control - sales person claimed the XL20i would provide better control in comparison to the Carrier.
    Trane rep has checked the system, his only comments were air stratification can be an issue for 2 stage systems and increased stage1 cfms to 860 and stage2 1350, which increased the humidity alot.
    jimj-
    I would expect better comfort control form the XL20i, the carrier had no options for g humidity control. Yes ,lowering the temp well make it colder, but also causes the system to run in stage 2 constantly, thus creating wind chill from the higher are velocity.
    The problem is mainly in stage 1 - low air velocity to circulate room air it just feels stagnant until it finally decides to engage stage2. And the system doesn't hold the humidity level at the hot point of the day goes up 4-5 percent and takes a while for it to go down - well after sunset.
    i would say the humidity level increased because the cfm is a little high for the 3 ton system you have

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclarry View Post
    i would say the humidity level increased because the cfm is a little high for the 3 ton system you have
    I agree 850+cfm for an airhandler thats trying to dehmuidify for 1.5 ton 1st stage and 1350 for 2nd I would expect to see more like 525 and 1050 cfm respectively or there abouts 1350 is 450 cfm per ton which is what you use when you don't want to extract moisture from the air

Maintaining humidity at 50% and maintaining temp setpoint?

I guess I'm not seeing a problem.

Ok I see where they have adjusted the air handler cfm settings up from the post that is what I gathered? Has anyone tried lowering the cfm to 350 cfm per ton? As someone stated in early post? Now with lowering of the cfm to 350 per ton in 1st stage the unit will move less air but when it goes into 2nd stage & would be sooner with this setup it would dehumidify better in both stages.

Now as alot have posted 50% humidity & the unit maintaining the desired set point for the unit I would have to say it is doing it's job. Now I understand you are not happy but setting air handlers speeds is left up to the installers but sometimes they have to be adjusted due to different peoples variables duct work design etc. Also there are adjustments on the 900 t-stat to help with this as well.

What are your desired temperature and humidity setpoints?

Where are you located, City & State?

Is Comfort-R (Enhanced Mode) selected?

Was a Manual J load calculation performed? What was the load Sensible Heat Ratio (SHR) from the load?

More information will get you better answers.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

To clarify the blower CFMS were reset to 400 per ton,
    stage1 660 / 530 @ 80% dehumidification mode
    stage2 1200/ 960
    Dissatisfaction is when in stage1 660 cfm's does not move much air into the rooms - it is a very slight draft or dribble of air. This is even worse when in dehumidification mode w/ 530 cfm's and the humidity level doesn't really change - it struggles. In the summer the systems run about 20 hours a day.
    It is disappointing because the XL20i is not doing much better than the standard builders carrier model that came w/ the house. The Trane Sales person claimed the XL20i would provide superior comfort and control - it does not in my home.

havdaddy:
    -location central FL, single story home, load calc were around 3 tons
    -duct work consist of 18'' flex from A/H to first supply box then reduces to 14
    -ceiling return is centrally located 20x30 w/ 18'' flex.
    -Supply registers on interior of rooms facing outer walls
    -tstat is Trane TCONT900 communicating system

Kevin:
    75-76 degrees, humidity set 45 to 50 percent.
    At 45% it struggles and usually can not meet the setting, even running around 20 hours a day in the hot months.
    Location Orlando, Florida
    The Tcont900 is set for 80% cfm reduction when in dehumidification mode.
    The company who installed the XL20i, also installed the builders system originally in the house - all I was told the house required 3 tons and the Carrier could maintain temps on the hot day - running constantly.
    No idea what the SHR load numbers were - as a homeowner I not sure even what they mean.

Thanks

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast