Obama's fat lip a blessing - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 94
  1. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    So, now you are down to just making false claims about those who don't agree with you and who have shown you factual data that your viewpoints are not 100% accurate? Do I just write you off as pathetic? I don't want to do that. I would like for once to end a discussion where we can take something from one another's postings. I learned some things about Mark Twain that I was not aware of from this thread. I would like to think that you have seen enough evidence to not lump Mark Twain as some leftist Socialist but rather as an all around rationally thinking man who could see all aspects of issues and give his opinion on them from an intelligent stand.

    "an all around rationally thinking man who could see all aspects of issues and give his opinion on them from an intelligent stand."

    Most leftist socialists are just that.

    All I said was that Mark Twain was a liberal and he most clearly was. I gave overwhelming evidence to that end. And there are volumes more, literally. I said that I agreed that very few people are totally left or totally right and Twain would be one of those people granted. I am happy to end it here.

  2. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Again with the insults instead of discussing the issue at hand. Why? Is there some reason that you want to completely change the character of a man who is respected by all because he could see the bullcrap in all of us?

    I also have no idea what you mean by saying I'm projecting. I simply reiterated a truth that you have been almost maliciously avoiding as if the truth will burn a hole in your soul or something.
    RoBo when I say you are projecting I am saying that you are guilty of what you are accusing me of. 99% if not 100% of the insults start from your postings.


    I am not changing his character I am bringing out clearly what he was. You seem uncomfortable with it. Stop denying the truth it won't hurt so much then.

  3. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Oh I was talking to Mrs R, she is capable of responding if she wants. I wanted to stop the conversation with her using her own argument about me and it seems to have worked. So let's not get that going again.

    Your projections are very tiresome but I will continue to try and bring some truth to your deceitful life.

    Your argument is ridiculous and you know it
    I still have no idea what you mean by saying I am projecting. I also still have no idea what you believe about me is deceitful. Is this like an "I'm rubber and you're glue..." thing where I say you are deceitful and then you turn around and say the same thing to me, even though it has no meaning coming from you?

    No, I don' t know that my argument is ridiculous. I only know what I read in historical records. Those records show without a doubt that Mark Twain was as much a conservative as he was a liberal, neither label of which I would be so rude as to apply to the man. Please, tell me why you believe I am deceitful and why you believe my argument is ridiculous. If these things are true, I want to know so I can change them about me. So far though, all you have done is make accusations about me and make hurtful comments claiming that I must see a therapist, which I do not.

    I know that you are a sensitive person from your reporting posts I have unintentionally hurt your feelings with, so please respect my feelings as well and refrain from accusing me of being mentally unbalanced or even deceitful unless you can tell me why you are accusing me of such things.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  4. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I still have no idea what you mean by saying I am projecting. I also still have no idea what you believe about me is deceitful. Is this like an "I'm rubber and you're glue..." thing where I say you are deceitful and then you turn around and say the same thing to me, even though it has no meaning coming from you?

    No, I don' t know that my argument is ridiculous. I only know what I read in historical records. Those records show without a doubt that Mark Twain was as much a conservative as he was a liberal, neither label of which I would be so rude as to apply to the man. Please, tell me why you believe I am deceitful and why you believe my argument is ridiculous. If these things are true, I want to know so I can change them about me. So far though, all you have done is make accusations about me and make hurtful comments claiming that I must see a therapist, which I do not.

    I know that you are a sensitive person from your reporting posts I have unintentionally hurt your feelings with, so please respect my feelings as well and refrain from accusing me of being mentally unbalanced or even deceitful unless you can tell me why you are accusing me of such things.
    LOL, I get the joke this time. That is funny, you poor little thing.

    And RoBo my feelings had nothing to do with it. It was what you said.

  5. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Robo, remember the pig analogy? Well, it certainly fits. It's like trying to eat jello with a fork--way too much effort for the small benefit.
    Oh, I know. I'm just very curious if my theory that evil deceives those bent toward only liberal notions into becoming completely unable to be rational thinking humans any longer.

    There seems to be a correlation between those who justify their every belief and a lack of theological faith. It also occurs in those who become extreme in a religious aspect to the point that they ignore the goodness of God and become just the opposite of God's will.

    For now though, I am focusing on the effects that evil has on those who are able to be driven so far to the left that they can no longer see the reality of the middle of the road and eventually just go off the left side of the road altogether.

    I appreciate the concern though. Sleep well.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  6. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Oh, I know. I'm just very curious if my theory that evil deceives those bent toward only liberal notions into becoming completely unable to be rational thinking humans any longer.

    There seems to be a correlation between those who justify their every belief and a lack of theological faith. It also occurs in those who become extreme in a religious aspect to the point that they ignore the goodness of God and become just the opposite of God's will.

    For now though, I am focusing on the effects that evil has on those who are able to be driven so far to the left that they can no longer see the reality of the middle of the road and eventually just go off the left side of the road altogether.

    I appreciate the concern though. Sleep well.
    LOL. Oh do tell us about the middle.

    It wasn't concern, it was just another chance to throw a dig at someone.

  7. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Me doth think thou protest too much. Me also doth think thou oversteps thouself with abandon.
    Again what is this suppose to mean?

  8. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    You posted 2 quotes that I recall, barely proving anything. and as I said very few people are totally liberal or totally conservative but can easily be classified as one or the other. It is done here every day. You list Al Franken he has conservative views also yet can easily be described a liberal.
    Well, let's look again at one of Twain's quotes, a quite lengthy one for him;
    “The mania for giving the Government power to meddle with the private affairs of cities or citizens is likely to cause endless trouble … & there is great danger that our people will lose that independence of thought & action which is the cause of much of our greatness, & sink into the helplessness of the Frenchman or German who expects his government to feed him when hungry, clothe him when naked … &, in time, to regulate every act of humanity from the cradle to the tomb, including the manner in which he may seek future admission to paradise.”
    ~Mark Twain~
    I'm not sure how anyone could classify a person who believes what Twain wrote here as a liberal. This exact, complete belief of Mark Twain's is a core belief about government from every conservative thinking person.

    So, can we say by this that Mark Twain was a political conservative even though he was a liberal in other ways? Would that be a fair assessment?

    As far as Al Franken goes, I'd have to see something about him having a conservative thought to believe it. Some folks are just too far gone one direction or the other to have any rational understanding of other then what they want to believe. I am afraid that I feel that way about you.

    I cannot find one conservative notion that has ever come from Al Franken, any more then I can find one liberal notion from Rush Limbaugh. Can you please show us what you are referring to that Al Franken has stated that is conservative in thinking?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  9. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    "an all around rationally thinking man who could see all aspects of issues and give his opinion on them from an intelligent stand."

    Most leftist socialists are just that.

    All I said was that Mark Twain was a liberal and he most clearly was. I gave overwhelming evidence to that end. And there are volumes more, literally. I said that I agreed that very few people are totally left or totally right and Twain would be one of those people granted. I am happy to end it here.
    I completely disagree with your opinion of leftist Socialists, but I understand why you would think this way. You see, you are even deceiving yourself by buying into the untruths that you are trying to sell to others. It's not good for the dealer to become addicted to his own product, and that is what I believe happens to extremists such as yourself.

    Others more learned about Mark Twain then you or I disagree with your assessment that he was a liberal by today's standards. You attacked Glenn for quoting a conservative idea of Mark Twain's in his sig line, stating that Mark Twain was a liberal. That cannot be accurate by the very fact that the quote you were attacking was not something anyone who is a liberal only would have thought.

    By your standards, you could argue without end with someone who only quoted Mark Twain's more conservative ideas that you believe he was a liberal while they argue that he was a conservative. The fact is, he was neither.

    I have no problem ending this debate as long as you are admitting that you were wrong about Mark Twain being a liberal being a completel accurate statement. I submit that Mark Twain was a moderate with dead on accuracy on his opinions of both liberal and conservative thought.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Well, let's look again at one of Twain's quotes, a quite lengthy one for him; I'm not sure how anyone could classify a person who believes what Twain wrote here as a liberal. This exact, complete belief of Mark Twain's is a core belief about government from every conservative thinking person.

    So, can we say by this that Mark Twain was a political conservative even though he was a liberal in other ways? Would that be a fair assessment?

    As far as Al Franken goes, I'd have to see something about him having a conservative thought to believe it. Some folks are just too far gone one direction or the other to have any rational understanding of other then what they want to believe. I am afraid that I feel that way about you.

    I cannot find one conservative notion that has ever come from Al Franken, any more then I can find one liberal notion from Rush Limbaugh. Can you please show us what you are referring to that Al Franken has stated that is conservative in thinking?
    Your quote does come from 1867. He became more and more liberal as he grew older and wiser.

    Al Franken supported the wars and staying in Iraq when most liberals wanted to pull out. He was basically as hawkish as Hilary.

  11. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    RoBo when I say you are projecting I am saying that you are guilty of what you are accusing me of. 99% if not 100% of the insults start from your postings.


    I am not changing his character I am bringing out clearly what he was. You seem uncomfortable with it. Stop denying the truth it won't hurt so much then.
    I can't agree with your accusation about my projecting at all. Where have I made any insult about you that I have not supported with detailed reasoning for what I accused you of being? I am brash. If you accuse me of being brash, do I have a cause to be insulted or offended for something that is true? What have I accused you of that I have not shown to be true?

    In contrast, you repeatedly accuse me of things without any reference as to why you are accusing me of those things. You accused me of having to see a therapist. Where does that notion come from? Why would you slander me in such a way when there is not a grain of truth to your accusation? You say that 100% of the insults start with me. Where have I ever accused you of having to see a therapist? That is a very deceitful thing for you to post. You are deceiving others into believing that I cannot be trusted because I am mentally unstable. Yes, that is why I say you are deceitful, because you deceive others to believe that which is not true.

    You say I am deceitful, yet you have not made mention of one deceitful thing I have done or posted. On what grounds do you accuse me of being deceitful?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  12. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I completely disagree with your opinion of leftist Socialists, but I understand why you would think this way. You see, you are even deceiving yourself by buying into the untruths that you are trying to sell to others. It's not good for the dealer to become addicted to his own product, and that is what I believe happens to extremists such as yourself.

    Others more learned about Mark Twain then you or I disagree with your assessment that he was a liberal by today's standards. You attacked Glenn for quoting a conservative idea of Mark Twain's in his sig line, stating that Mark Twain was a liberal. That cannot be accurate by the very fact that the quote you were attacking was not something anyone who is a liberal only would have thought.

    By your standards, you could argue without end with someone who only quoted Mark Twain's more conservative ideas that you believe he was a liberal while they argue that he was a conservative. The fact is, he was neither.

    I have no problem ending this debate as long as you are admitting that you were wrong about Mark Twain being a liberal being a completel accurate statement. I submit that Mark Twain was a moderate with dead on accuracy on his opinions of both liberal and conservative thought.
    Those opinions that I have quoted and many others that I did not cite are liberal by todays standards let alone a 100+ years ago. And they are more than just a few incidental issues they go to the essence of liberal thought.

    I can see how some views on government could be grasped onto by conservatives. Similarly conservatives will often quote Jefferson and his thoughts on "small" government. The problem there is when Jefferson got the chance he expanded govt. greatly.

    And if you are referring to the Ludwig Mises Institute all I can say is let's be real.

    Bottom line here you just can't get over the fact that Twain and many more like him were liberals. There were liberals before the term was even coined. Conservatives are so devoid of decent thoughts and ideas they have to co-opt liberals and take their quotes out of context etc.

  13. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    LOL, I get the joke this time. That is funny, you poor little thing.

    And RoBo my feelings had nothing to do with it. It was what you said.
    Again, I don't understand what you mean in this post. I have not made a joke. I did that before and unintentionally hurt your feelings to the point that you complained about me. I am sincerely sorry I did that, even if it was not intended to hurt you, and I will not joke with you like that again because I don't like hurting people.

    Why are you now being condenscending to me by calling me a poor little thing?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event