Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Service call of the week

I reveived a call from a customer whose complaint was odors. The gas company had shut off gas to the unit. I turned the gas back on.....with the OUTSIDE valve(it was installed before codes required it to be within 6 feet!!!) I walked back in and smelled gas when I got within 8 feet of the fireplace. I found a loose connection at the back of the control valve and told the owner, who was looking over my shoulder, that his installer hadn't tightened a connection. His response was "I know it was tight. I installed it myself 18 months ago."

OH MY GAWD !!!!

Well, it seems that he has screwed a flair fitting into a pipe threaded hole.......can you say major gas leak for the last 18 months? I politely informed him that the $200 he saved by installing it himself almost cost him his $1,000,000 home!!!!

The moral of the story is, let the professional handle your HVAC and gas fireplaces........your life depends upon it !!!

<<I found a loose connection at the back of the control valve and told the owner, who was looking over my shoulder, that his installer hadn't tightened a connection. His response was "I know it was tight. I installed it myself 18 months ago."
    >>

That's a fairly common mistake for DIYers. I saw that many times when I was doing gas leak investigations for a utility company.

Seattle Pioneer

I have seen it several times with DIYers, but what is scary is that I have found the same thing going behind hearth "professionals" and a few plumbers as well.
    Last edited by logdoc_rob; 02-25-2007 at 12:59 AM.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada

Home owners doing their own gas work

I also frequent another website simialr in nature to this one, except its geraed towards home improvements.It has a forum for hvac related topics; I was appaled to find that advice was being given by a general contractor who doesn't seem to have any HVAC or gas credentials, I was even more appaled to see that he was recomending to home owners that they do their own gas service such as changing ignitors, and flames sensors. A statement was even made that if they should have to hire a professional that they should closely watch said professional why he was making the repair so that said homeowner could do it himself the next time around.
    A Man Built It,A Man Can Fix It

I get it all the time, how come its so much? and then you tell them that after your done installing it you have to check it then instruct them on safe operation. By the time your done with that you have and hour and half into the job after it has been installed

I would say with 100% confidence that the installation manual states WARNING: Improper Installation, alteration, service or maintenance can cause property damage, personal injury or loss of life. Refer to this manual. Installation and service must be performed by a qualified installer, service agency or the gas supplier. People should read before playing with Gas.

seen a bunch if loose connects by dyi, trust no one but yourself, check three times, procced with caution

Quote Originally Posted by retiredhvacdude View Post
    seen a bunch if loose connects by dyi, trust no one but yourself, check three times, procced with caution
    hope it is fixed after 3 1/2 years!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

And when they DO make a flare.... they put that really neat "Teflon tape" on the flare threads!!!!!! So it doesn't seat on the flare itself!!!!

Truly without the rotten smell they put in Nat gas and Propane, alot of houses would go BOOM!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fireplaceguru View Post
    I would say with 100% confidence that the installation manual states WARNING: Improper Installation, alteration, service or maintenance can cause property damage, personal injury or loss of life. Refer to this manual. Installation and service must be performed by a qualified installer, service agency or the gas supplier. People should read before playing with Gas.
    I hate to say this, but I had the same thing again happen last week.......and it was installed by a gas certified plumber!!! Mistakes do happen, that's why my gas sniffer joins me on EVERY call.
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Quote Originally Posted by evankoehn View Post
    And when they DO make a flare.... they put that really neat "Teflon tape" on the flare threads!!!!!! So it doesn't seat on the flare itself!!!!

Truly without the rotten smell they put in Nat gas and Propane, alot of houses would go BOOM!!!!

We find this all the time with the flare fittings. The PLUMBERS do it. There is no excuses there, its not a mistake, its just stupid.

kenney t Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    We find this all the time with the flare fittings. The PLUMBERS do it. There is no excuses there, its not a mistake, its just stupid.
    plumbers are not heating specailists they are plumbers they should stick to water pipes and clogs

Quote Originally Posted by kenney t View Post
    plumbers are not heating specailists they are plumbers they should stick to water pipes and clogs
    I agree that we all should stick to our area of expertise !!! In my area we have specific "gas certified plumbers" and they should know better than to put a flair fitting into something with pipe threads.
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast