Thread: Gaslogs

Gaslogs

Hello I just purchased a home a cpl mths ago, tonight I decide to try out the gas log fireplace which is the kind that has the valve in the floor that you use a key to turn it on with, when I go to turn it on it is already on to my surprise, so I press the ignite switch and can see it sparking but it doesnt light I hear nor smell any gas is it normal for there to be another cut off somewhere on the outside of the house? My furnace also uses gas which has been working fine. I'm new to the whole gas log thing and don't care to play with fire blindfolded..

There usually is a set of tags that give the lighting instructions. most have a knob you have to set to pilot position and press in to get the pilot to light.

I don't see anything on this but a black igniter on the front bottom and a bunch of cobwebs and warnings...wouldn't the gas had been coming out the passed few mths with the valve being on? I never smelled anything, My gas bill never showed any usage while my furnace was off

LOL wow I officially feel like an impatient woman now (maybe cuz I am) I found the high tech fold out door, it does have a knob...kick me off the forum now. Thanks for your help!

No, the gas valve won't just let gas flow. next to the ignitor should be a knob for the gas valve.

Cool site rules

Unfortunately, the Site Rules prohibit us from talking you through lighting your unit step by step. You really should have a pro come out first to conduct a Level II inspection of the chimney then the logs. If the logs are unlisted or have no identification rating plate, I recommend you not use them. Attempting to light a combustion appliance you are unfamiliar with, have no instructions for and has not been professionally inspected is just asking for trouble. Pay a tech to come out.

I found the instrctions and a diagram finally, but I haven't attempted it uet I'm gonna vacuum it out and I have been looking up numbers for someone to come inspect it and show me how its done. I appreciate your reply

The best way to find the right person to look at it would be to take the brand name and find their web page, then see if they have a dealer search and locate a dealer near you. Hopefully it is a competent fireplace dealer that you are able to find.