im in the last stages of retro fitting a radiant floor system with snow melt. this is my first shot at this kind of system. im using a taco radiant mixing block for the floor heat, and also for the snow melt. ive installed both RMB's, and have a heat exchanger with the snow melt RMB. there is an existing tekmar 090 snow/ice sensor installed in the exterior concrete sidewalk. a tekmar rep has told me that i cannot use the 090 sensor to signal the RMB for a call for heat. the 090 sensor uses two 10K ohm sensors. does anyone know how i can combine these two signals to actuate the RMB for the snowmelt system? any help from any snowmelt experts is greatly appreciated.

It could be -100 outside & the sidewalk could be bone dry with no snow on it.I think using a temperature slab sensor to bring on the snow melt will only achieve astronomical fuel bills.
    Take your time & do it right!

snow melt control

the 090 snow melt sensor has two thermisters which allow it to sense both temperature and moisture. both sensors must make in order to call for heat. I need to combine these two signals into one call dor heat on to the rmb-1. I allways take my time and do it right!

Which melt control do you have?Is the boiler setup as primary/secondary w/vs injection?Are you trying to do this without the snow melt controller?I still say after they get the fuel bill you will be putting the system back into manual mode.You could setup for warm & cold weather shutdown & but maintaining a min slab temp or continuous operation will cost some ducks to run even so.I believe it even mentions in the directions for a 667 something about high fuel bills & impossible to maintain slab temps at lower O.D.T.'s

[Edited by markwolf on 01-24-2005 at 12:34 AM]
    Take your time & do it right!

Hi,

I haven't seen a sensor yet that can accurately tell you when it is snowing and if it is snowing is it sticking to the ground or what the wind is doing to it it is an inefficeint system and not much about that can be changed if you want to guarantee snow free concrete. I think I would design it to have a very small zone handle an area near a drain and let it run continuosly (when below 35) and then just detect water in the drain to enable the rest of the system. I saw a new stadium turf get ruined by people trying to predict snowfall then adjusting the temp and turning it into a mudbowl. The answer was to maintain a temp and forget about the snow just keep the roots of the grass warm enough to grow.