+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spelling & Grammar

Post Likes
    Simpleman, I agree however I want to improve my writing skills for my own satisfaction. If you have read any of my posts you would have to agree, I need it.

Other than penmanship our customers have not complained about grammar.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by simpleman
    Again the only people that have this problem or teachers.

I have yet,to lose a customer because of grammer or spelling.

If spelling and grammer was a issue,then explain why there are more mexican in the work force then ever before.

I bet some of you elites,still have your silver spoon as well.

Grammar is spelled with an "ar" not "er". Many HVAC instructors can't write well either! I constantly correct the English of my own students. Good speaking and writing skills are an important part of being a professional. Customers do recognize the difference.

Post Likes
    Thanks Norm,but you overlooked the or when it should have been are.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tinman
    Simpleman, I agree however I want to improve my writing skills for my own satisfaction. If you have read any of my posts you would have to agree, I need it.

Other than penmanship our customers have not complained about grammar.
    Most customers will not say anything, they will just call the company that they deem the most professional. You usually don't know why you lost the customer unless you ask them. As a service manager I always called them to find out why they switched service companies. I also asked new customers why they want to switch from their former service company to our company. You get some interesting insight in how customers think when you do this all the time.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by simpleman
    Thanks Norm,but you overlooked the or when it should have been are.

I saw that but was being nice.

Post Likes
    Most customers care more about if can you fix it, than if you can spell it. Actions speak louder than words, always have, and always will.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by frozensolid
    Most customers care more about if can you fix it, than if you can spell it. Actions speak louder than words, always have, and always will.
    Although I agree that the customer's immediate concern is to get a problem corrected, if there are many who can do the job equally well, the one who best represents himself as a professional who can communicate effectively in writing (as well as orally) will be the one at the top of the customer's list.

I present a fairly detailed description of the service work performed on every invoice I make. The diagnosis and repair work done is spelled out in a sort of technical shorthand so as to keep it short and to the point, lessening the chance of grammatical error. Here's a simple example.....

1. Found system low on refrigerant
    2. Found refrigerant leak at rub-through of suction line
    3. Recovered system refrigerant, repaired leak and rechecked for leaks. OK
    4. Installed new filter-drier, evacuated system and charged with new refrigerant per data plate
    5. Checked system operation. OK

I use a laptop with Quickbooks, so it has a spellchecker to catch the majority of spelling mistakes or typos, but even if you're writing service tickets out in longhand, the verbiage becomes quite repetitive.

If I were to count the total number of different words I use in my invoice writing, the vocabulary required would be very small.....maybe a couple hundred words used over and over again.

I see no excuse for anyone who has the aptitude and abilities to learn and perform well in this trade to not be able to master his language skills sufficiently well enough to offer a complete professional presentation.

Post Likes
    If I see an invoice that looks like a 3rd grader wrote it, it definitely leaves me with a negative impression of the mechanic. It may not seem like a big deal for those of you that struggle with spelling and grammar, but to some people, you may seem ignorant.

Now I'd rather have a top notch mechanic who couldn't spell, than a piss poor one who could. But if I had to choose between a top notch mechanic who could spell, and a top notch one who couldn't, it's no contest. I had a guy working for me who couldn't spell worth a lick, and his invoices embarrassed me, and left people with a negative impression of the company (in my opinion).

Post Likes
    If you have mechanics that have trouble in this area, consider using what many doctors offices use. They have a form that covers the vast majority of illnesses, tests, and diagnoses and they simply check off the things that apply to your bill. Flu test, x-ray, blah, blah. Each item carries a fee for service price. Noone has to write anything but a patient name at the top, and that usually can't be read. But it works quite nicely for them and I get to see all the services given to me and can 'verify' the bill.

Seems like a simple idea for a simple everyday problem that many employers face, and it's a cheap effective solution.

Post Likes
    On a work order I try to make sure things are right.If I can't spell something I find a word to change it.

Post Likes
    With the increasing competition in this trade why not take every advantage to be more professional? I have seen invoices and proposals from other companies that were frightfull. It was easy to compete against this. At the very least a better presented proposal will catch the customers eye. There are times we sell our work at higher prices than our competitors, could this be the reason? or part of it?
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by duc dowg
    On a work order I try to make sure things are right.If I can't spell something I find a word to change it.

A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you wanted to use.

Post Likes

Speaking of synonyms, what is another word for "thesaurus"?

Post Likes
    thingamabob, floomaditchy, and whatchacallit are a few you can use.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by NormChris

Speaking of synonyms, what is another word for "thesaurus"?

Wasn't that a dinosaur that became extinct after the big meteor hit?
    Norman......you are a trip...
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    But you are right....... in a way.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    A person can be a good communicator without good spelling skills. Granted good spelling and grammar are desirable things. They are not deal breakers though. Many customers have made deals with people sporting excellent linguistic skills; only to find out they were idiots.

A Quality mechanic will seem very articulate to your customer.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes

Hey...I do that all the time.Hmmmmmmmmm.

Post Likes

yea thats it thanks norm

Post Likes
    What do you what a good tech with bad spelling or A good speller & a bad tech?You couldn't afford the guys you would like to have because they went to school to become a doctor,lawer, & scientist or they owen there owen company.Have you techs put a spelling ace word finder in there vans.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in