+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spelling & Grammar

Post Likes

Spelling and grammar seem to have become a lost art. I have seen a growing number of spelling and grammar errors in several major news sites lately.

Customers notice such errors in our service work orders and tickets. Such mistakes make us look unprofessional. Customers begin to think that if we can't communicate clearly then how can they be sure we actually performed quality workmanship?

Do you want an uneducated person servicing your equipment?

Post Likes
    Norm;
    I agree with you.
    But,a lot of people migrate to the hands on trades as a way not to have to learn the skills of writing.
    My self included.. But I have enrolled in courses to get my A.A. so I am taking English classes again.
    Back to your point, Yes if a tech works on a house of some academic type person and his (her) writing skills are bad, it makes the tech look bad also. Period!
    Schools just are not teaching proper English any more. Ebonics are more important to some districts.

Keep up the crusade....

Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Yuma
    Norm;
    I agree with you.
    But,a lot of people migrate to the hands on trades as a way not to have to learn the skills of writing.
    My self included.. But I have enrolled in courses to get my A.A. so I am taking English classes again.
    Back to your point, Yes if a tech works on a house of some academic type person and his (her) writing skills are bad, it makes the tech look bad also. Period!
    Schools just are not teaching proper English any more. Ebonics are more important to some districts.

Keep up the crusade....

Yuma,

Yuma, I appreciate the support! There is a real need for all technicians to improve their writing an communication skills.

Norm

Post Likes
    Originally posted by NormChris
    Spelling and grammar seem to have become a lost art. I have seen a growing number of spelling and grammar errors in several major news sites lately.

Customers notice such errors in our service work orders and tickets. Such mistakes make us look unprofessional. Customers begin to think that if we can't communicate clearly then how can they be sure we actually performed quality workmanship?

How many times did you reread your post before you clicked on "submit"?....
    Hey mosquito, quit biting (slap!!) me... ©
    Anyone like Josey Wales?
    C'mon, you know I'm right!

Post Likes
    In a round about way you are making fun of me cause I can't spell. Thanks, now I'm gonna drink.

I fully agree with you though. In the real world where it matters I make sure my writing is well worded and everything is spelled correctly. I work with a guy that drives me crazy because he wont even bother to learn to spell, and on top of that he puts slight ebonics into his writings.

Post Likes
    Not only are proper grammatical skills necessary but also the ability to fully document services performed and notes about the system layout for future use.

Post Likes
    Not sure how many times he reread it before clicking submit, but he used 'an' in place of 'and'. Very unprofessional workmanship.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by texan30
    Not sure how many times he reread it before clicking submit, but he used 'an' in place of 'and'. Very unprofessional workmanship.
    I am quite willing to own up to and correct my own mistakes but I fail to see what you are attempting to point out.

Norm

Post Likes

Norm you are right

I'm able to write much higher dollar tickets quite simply for the fact of being able to interject hyper engineerese into the context of the body of a service report. In other words, higher BS ability does equate to a higher paycheck. Thanks again Norm for bringing this to the forefront!

[Edited by rob10 on 01-22-2005 at 10:55 PM]

Post Likes
    I once wrote a note to a customer and a couple of the words I did not spell correctly. So I wrote a note at the bottom saying "sorry for the mis-spelling but my pen doesn't have a spell check."

She called into the office saying she got a kick out of the side note.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Norm, you stated;

There is a real need for all technicians to improve their writing an communication skills.

This should read as;

There is a real need for all technicians to improve their writing AND communication skills.

I just could not pass that up. My evil twin inside me leaks out from time to time.

Post Likes

Re: Norm you are right

Originally posted by rob10
    I'm able to write much higher dollar tickets quite simply for the fact of being able to interject hyper engineerese into the context of the body of a service report. In other words, higher BS ability does equate to a higher paycheck. Thanks again Norm for bringing this to the forefront!

[Edited by rob10 on 01-22-2005 at 10:55 PM]

Rob you are right. I have yet to be able to read my doctors writing. If it works for him it should work for us.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by texan30
    Norm, you stated;

There is a real need for all technicians to improve their writing an communication skills.

This should read as;

There is a real need for all technicians to improve their writing AND communication skills.

I just could not pass that up. My evil twin inside me leaks out from time to time.
    Just a typo error is all.

Post Likes

If he is well educated At repairing and servicing my equipment I would have no problem with his spelling or grammer. If he had great grammer and spelling ability but didnt know a thing about what I hired him for I would be pissed. Im not sure why this is getting to be such a sticking point but I guess I had better think about picking up the technician certification exam guide and see how many chapters there are about grammer and spelling being thats seems to be a major thing.

Post Likes

Although technically correct, I would prefer to see what you wrote as:
    "a growing number of spelling and grammatical errors"

Post Likes
    I no watcha meen norm.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Post Likes
    Norm, I agree, short of going back to high school what would you suggest as training?
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Post Likes
    Again the only people that have this problem or teachers.

I have yet,to lose a customer because of grammer or spelling.

If spelling and grammer was a issue,then explain why there are more mexican in the work force then ever before.

I bet some of you elites,still have your silver spoon as well.

Post Likes
    Saw an ad in a trade journal. Picture of two guys, one
    was bent over a piece of equipment wearing jeans and a
    tee shirt, kinda dirty, bubba type. The other was in a nice
    uniform, creases, carrying an invoice book. Point of the
    ad was which would you prefer working on your equipment.
    I remember thinking I only saw one person working.
    Appearances (vans, clothes, speech, grammar, spelling, etc.)
    may make one "appear" professional or not. Appearances can
    be deceiving.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tinman
    Norm, I agree, short of going back to high school what would you suggest as training?

Proper written communication, spelling and grammar do make a difference to customers reading service invoices!

When I was a service manager I reviewed every service ticket and made a list of the errors. I then held several service meetings and worked on the worst ones.

I also provided each technician with a spelling list of commonly misspelled and misused words to carry in their trucks. They could easily look up any word they were unsure of.

It looks pretty poor when a technician can't spell condenser or compressor correctly or uses "there" when he should have used "their" for example.

It is all about professionalism.

Norm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in