Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    What do you what a good tech with bad spelling or A good speller & a bad tech?You couldn't afford the guys you would like to have because they went to school to become a doctor,lawer, & scientist or they owen there owen company.Have you techs put a spelling ace word finder in there vans.

Well, actually, before I began working for myself, I was both a good tech and a good speller. They do exist. I also kept my shirt tucked in and didn't show my ass crack. What more can you ask for?

>What do you what a good tech with bad spelling or A good >speller & a bad tech?

Why not both?

>You couldn't afford the guys you would like to have because >they went to school to become a doctor,lawer, & scientist

You don't learn spelling in college. You learn while you're in
    K-12.

> or they owen there owen company.

OWEN?

>Have you techs put a spelling ace word finder in there vans.

Would they even use it? The biggest problem is some just don't care. Some here don't even proofread their posts. Sure, some us make a mistake here or there but some posters murder the english language without mercy.

Beins diss is abut grammer Ill tries me bestest to git it rite. The butt krack advertisement was Yorks. It inferred that no one butt York had decent techs. Again my point is, one day they work for a butt krack co as an average tech, next day they go to a manufacturer, dress em up and they think there gods. Oh I fergetted dis wuz abot grammer!!!!
    Originally posted by twosticks
    Saw an ad in a trade journal. Picture of two guys, one
    was bent over a piece of equipment wearing jeans and a
    tee shirt, kinda dirty, bubba type. The other was in a nice
    uniform, creases, carrying an invoice book. Point of the
    ad was which would you prefer working on your equipment.
    I remember thinking I only saw one person working.
    Appearances (vans, clothes, speech, grammar, spelling, etc.)
    may make one "appear" professional or not. Appearances can
    be deceiving.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Originally posted by framehvac
    What do you what a good tech with bad spelling or A good speller & a bad tech?You couldn't afford the guys you would like to have because they went to school to become a doctor,lawer, & scientist or they owen there owen company.Have you techs put a spelling ace word finder in there vans.

Lawyer
    Own
    Their instead of there

I supplied dictionaries in the vans plus put together a 4 page list of the most commonly misspelled words occuring on service work orders.

Even the inflection and tone

Of one's writing tends to establish his or hers personification to someone one. Our society as a whole has lost quite a few steps in literary quality. There are no contemporaries that are Kiplings or Hemingways.

NormChris you are a lot like my sister she corrects everything you say wrong or spell wrong she thank no my bad she knows she is better then everybody else no one likes her.You know when you correct someone for spelling they aren't going to like you.
    HVAC Instructor, seminar speaker, technical writer and author

So NormChris what did I spell wrong or do wrong?

Well I will tell you what, At what they are paying these pro football players and pro baseball pitchers ( 18 million a year ) I wonder what their spelling is like and the interviews after the game, such grammer. I would think that with their college educations that their grammer would be better. Do you think their coaches get on them for that, you know they are profesionals and are suppose to set examples for our kids like Randy Moss does. As we all see what you get paid has little to do with your spelling and grammar. I have no problem with trying to do better as far as trying to use the correct spelling and grammar but if it got to a point that someone in the office was spending too much of their time correcting it or pointing it out unless it was totally illegible to the customer or office, I would be questioning how much I need that office person. It reminds me of most of the building inspectors that were builders that went broke being they were not efficant or not running their business right and now their telling you what is right or wrong not even knowing why some things are done the way they are. This may have gotten a little bit away from the subject but so has the subject of grammer and spelling if it gets to a point of that being more important than a tech that knows his job. Yes I would not be unhappy to have techs that have great grammar and spelling but I would not turn them away unless it was real bad. If it was real bad then in that case, well yes that might be a problem but I wont jump on them for not being perfect being Im far from it.

[Edited by dec on 01-23-2005 at 06:33 PM]

NormChris I have never have a doctor that I could read his or her hand writing & I don't think less of there or "their" work.But it makes me thank do they write bad because they cann't spell?

So NormChris there or their?What do you thank of a doctors hand writing should I make sure they have good hand writing before I go to them?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by framehvac
    NormChris you are a lot like my sister she corrects everything you say wrong or spell wrong she thank no my bad she knows she is better then everybody else no one likes her.You know when you correct someone for spelling they aren't going to like you.
    HVAC Instructor, seminar speaker, technical writer and author

So NormChris what did I spell wrong or do wrong?
    [/QUOTE

Point driven home and hopefully so was the "poster".

A number of you have made a decision to misunderstand and/or fail to get the point.

A few others actually do understand my point and made good comments indicating they have a grasp of the concept, its application and importance to the technician.

Norm

I get your point "Spelling and grammar seem to have become a lost art."I disagree with you I thank people can spell better then ever.What point in time could they spell better you tell me?Don't go by this web site or any other we type it & go with it we don't have time to check it.But as a installer I work hard & in some bad places I don't have time for a lot of paper work so all I have to do is the bill.A service tech should do a better job if you give them time?Don't be to hard on your guys if they show up & work hard everyday then they are a head of most.

Ever watch one of those documentary films where they 'read' letters sent from civil war soldiers to their families back home? We are talking about men who were farmers, blacksmiths, and laborers. The difference in the ability of those men to express themselves and anyone today is quite large. I cannot express myself as well as they did, so I am not riding a high horse here.

Digging through my office filing cabinet, I ran across business letters between our office and various vendors just discussing things like shipment dates of products, price quotations, and the like. Even these letters from 1963 show a huge decline in mastery of english skills and letter form of today.

I'd say it is safe to say it can be demonstrated a time when people spoke differently. Whether it was better would be a personal opinion. I myself think it was better back then.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast