Originally posted by frozensolid
Most customers care more about if can you fix it, than if you can spell it. Actions speak louder than words, always have, and always will.
Although I agree that the customer's immediate concern is to get a problem corrected, if there are many who can do the job equally well, the one who best represents himself as a professional who can communicate effectively in writing (as well as orally) will be the one at the top of the customer's list.

I present a fairly detailed description of the service work performed on every invoice I make. The diagnosis and repair work done is spelled out in a sort of technical shorthand so as to keep it short and to the point, lessening the chance of grammatical error. Here's a simple example.....

1. Found system low on refrigerant
2. Found refrigerant leak at rub-through of suction line
3. Recovered system refrigerant, repaired leak and rechecked for leaks. OK
4. Installed new filter-drier, evacuated system and charged with new refrigerant per data plate
5. Checked system operation. OK

I use a laptop with Quickbooks, so it has a spellchecker to catch the majority of spelling mistakes or typos, but even if you're writing service tickets out in longhand, the verbiage becomes quite repetitive.

If I were to count the total number of different words I use in my invoice writing, the vocabulary required would be very small.....maybe a couple hundred words used over and over again.

I see no excuse for anyone who has the aptitude and abilities to learn and perform well in this trade to not be able to master his language skills sufficiently well enough to offer a complete professional presentation.